Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Question 2020 Moomba Makai surf set up question

I am new to the surf boat world. I know the perfect wave is in the eyes of the beholder but I dont really know how to go about setting up a decent wave in my new boat. Because of COVID-19 I was unable to take my boat out when it was delivered and have the dealer really walk me through how they set up a wave. The boat was dropped off at my house and the keys practically thrown on the grass. If any of you have settings you like to use when surfing to create a good wave please send them my way, Id be very appreciative

Thanks

If you have AutoWake, I would start with these instructional videos:

Part 1- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVueG9JaD4c

Part 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sri1pLtsjtc

Part 3 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btq6hr04nLs
    2020 Moomba Kaiyen > Finally on my lift!
    2017 Moomba Mondo > Traded
    2000 Moomba Kamberra > Traded

Quote Originally Posted by brandykn00 View Post
    I am new to the surf boat world. I know the perfect wave is in the eyes of the beholder but I dont really know how to go about setting up a decent wave in my new boat. Because of COVID-19 I was unable to take my boat out when it was delivered and have the dealer really walk me through how they set up a wave. The boat was dropped off at my house and the keys practically thrown on the grass. If any of you have settings you like to use when surfing to create a good wave please send them my way, Id be very appreciative

Thanks
    Hey! stoked for you to get the new Makai. have you been out much yet? sorry that your delivery did not seem to have gone too well. we picked up a mondo the end of 19. it has autowake. we have 28 hours on and have been on the water 6 times this spring. every trip out seems to be a new learning expericne so far. of course our crew size has been different too, so that impacts things too.

so far my process has been to fill up the ballast to 100% with autowake off.
    turn on auto wake with amplitude at 100%
    have people sit a bit loaded toward surf side
    setup pitch and roll to some values (i don't remember, written down in the boat)
    drive a bit and see what autowake does and look at wave
    check the pitch and roll values and what ballast has dumped
    turn off autowake, play with the ballast and wake plate and speed and see what the wave looks like
    if the wave is looking good, turn on autowake and note the actual pitch, roll, WP, speed.
    adjust autowake pitch and roll the current actual that is giving a good wave
    surf a bit and see what autowake does to the ballast, pitch, roll, etc.

I feel like i am still very far from having a consistent (or good) surf.

but i got a new surf board so i am certain that all will be good and happy now.

when we demo'd with the dealer he did go through lots of stuff on autowake, but it was still so new to me i really don't remember much. maybe as the weather here warms and we can visit other people i can get to dealer and take him out for a ride and get a refresher instruction.

hope you get more useful info here than from me. and i hope i can learn more from this too.
    19 Mondo
    08 LSV, forever loved

Man I am on the exact same page. New makai, we have put 4 hours on it. Got it out yesterday and actually got in the the water to surf for the first time.

I filled ballast up to 100%, turned autowake on with amplitude at 100%. Ran it like that for about 15 mins and noticed the wave was not looking worse and worse. And rider having more trouble. Looked at ballast and they were all almost empty besides port side. So I messed around with settings again and ended up switching autowake off. filling all ballast to 100% and just adjusting using the wakeplate. Rider was pretty happy with that wave.

But frustrating because I could never get it as clean as I was wanting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --Justin

2019 Moomba Makai

I haven't had very much time at all to set ours up. The first few quick rides and being virus times i don't have any other people in the boat but my wife and 2 young kids. So I noticed AW dumps the bow and starboard to achieve the settings. Yesterdays quick ride I manually filled up the bow 80% and starboard to 80% and port to 100%. Made a big difference in the wave. But still no where near dialed in yet. I really just need a few hours one day to go through some set ups and see what the hull responds to.

She likes weight. The more the better. The heavier she gets the slower the speed! Dont give up! Once you get a Makai dailed in you'll never look back!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    -Blaine

2019 Makai
    2013 LSV (sold)
    1997 Bayliner 1850 (sold)

With all due respect, I know I'm not the most versed in setting up the wave and no one should prolly be listening to me anyways, but, I'll offer my 2 cents anyways. I hear many opinions on emptying ballasts to achieve desired list in boats that are equipped with surf tabs. Methinks that all your'e doing is reducing your overall displacement. You may create a wave shape that looks good but the volume of the wave will be less, its just plain physics. My mojo had a pretty looking wave when I bought it at 2500 lbs ballast factory, as a newbie I did not know better, quickly I found out that there truly is no replacement for …..you know.
    Bottom line, consider not emptying ballast, fill everything at 100% and displace as much friggin' water as you physically can and then use your tabs to create list and the surf plate and speed to adjust the amplitude of the wave. Don't sell yourself short, get the biggest wave you can get and then shape it, that what these tabs and plates are for.
    2020 Supra SL 400
    2015 Moomba Mojo(Sold)
    2018 Yamaha Waverunner(Just to fool around)
    2018 F150 Lariat
    sport edition, 3.5lt ecoboost

Quote Originally Posted by Isaguel View Post
    With all due respect, I know I'm not the most versed in setting up the wave and no one should prolly be listening to me anyways, but, I'll offer my 2 cents anyways. I hear many opinions on emptying ballasts to achieve desired list in boats that are equipped with surf tabs. Methinks that all your'e doing is reducing your overall displacement. You may create a wave shape that looks good but the volume of the wave will be less, its just plain physics. My mojo had a pretty looking wave when I bought it at 2500 lbs ballast factory, as a newbie I did not know better, quickly I found out that there truly is no replacement for …..you know.
    Bottom line, consider not emptying ballast, fill everything at 100% and displace as much friggin' water as you physically can and then use your tabs to create list and the surf plate and speed to adjust the amplitude of the wave. Don't sell yourself short, get the biggest wave you can get and then shape it, that what these tabs and plates are for.
    Not in a Makai either.... but that's pretty much what I do. Then I adjusted my lead to have the pitch that I liked and haven't touched it since (until my actuator went out recently and I moved lead around to make it through the day haha). Maybe when the kids turn to teenagers and their weight matters more I would entertain auto wake to adjust roll and pitch some.
    2018 Max - Ultrablue flake/Gray - 4400 lbs water (720s midship), 750 lbs lead somewhere

Well we didn't get a chance to work on the set up this weekend, wind was blowing 20-30mph and white capping. I will say the Makai handles it like a champ especially compared to my older boat. Found a cove and ended up anchoring up. Was still a very nice day.

Good thread. I got a Makai at the end of last season. We are still messing around, looking for that perfect wave. I found the boat likes a little more weight in the back. We usually run around 11.5 mph with the surf tab at 65 and center plate at 0. 1,000 lb of lead all towards the back and midship. Ballast bags all filled to 100. If it's only three of us I found that filling the bow bag to 70% is helpful. Good luck and congrats on the new boat! Let us know what settings you are at when you find that perfect wave.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
    2019 Makai