Default 2016 Supra SA400 Surf Settings

So this is my third summer with the boat, first wake boat I’ve ever had. Below are two of the surf settings I’ve been using up that seem to work the best. I basically took the factory settings and played with those but I was wondering if someone could give me a rundown on what changing the speed, tabs and weight will do to the wave? I’m 6’ 250# and currently have 300# of lead in the back lockers under the bags, 150# on each side. I can drop the rope with just two people in the boat (driver + 1 person in the back surfside corner) but one small mistake and I lose it. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2016 Supra SA 400

I start here and usually adjust. I have a 2017 so use autowake to adjust from here. Boat likes a 9 degree pitch and -3.5 roll. So you might try less nose and non surf side weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Supra SA

You should be surfing for days with all that extra lead!

2017 Supra SA

I’m on a g23 but I’m about same size as you and started surfing two months ago. I can go rope less and starting to do slides and such. 2 things are huge imo. 1). A board made for our size that has enough drive and push and 2) good technique.

I started on ronix boards and didn’t like them. Ordered a soulcraft voodoo and waiting on that to be built so picked up a phase 5 trident to use(big guy skim board) and it is night and day better than the ronix I had. Highly recommend it for big dudes!

Also, a pro level surfer game me tips with technique...more toe side pressure, only hold rope with front hand (that closes your shoulders into the wave vs having them opened to the wave and boat) and that made a huge, huge difference for me. Different wave settings let me try different things but toeside pressure and alignment were the biggies for me. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by russellsmojo View Post
    You should be surfing for days with all that extra lead!

Thanks for input, I'll try that setting and see how it compares to what I posted.

Honestly, based on what I've been reading I didn't think I had that much lead compared to what others seem to be running. I was considering getting another 300# but wanted to play with these settings first.
    2016 Supra SA 400

Quote Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post
    I’m on a g23 but I’m about same size as you and started surfing two months ago. I can go rope less and starting to do slides and such. 2 things are huge imo. 1). A board made for our size that has enough drive and push and 2) good technique.

I started on ronix boards and didn’t like them. Ordered a soulcraft voodoo and waiting on that to be built so picked up a phase 5 trident to use(big guy skim board) and it is night and day better than the ronix I had. Highly recommend it for big dudes!

Also, a pro level surfer game me tips with technique...more toe side pressure, only hold rope with front hand (that closes your shoulders into the wave vs having them opened to the wave and boat) and that made a huge, huge difference for me. Different wave settings let me try different things but toeside pressure and alignment were the biggies for me. Good luck!

Thank you for the tips! I actually learned how to surf behind my buddy's G25 on a Trident, I did like that board. Unfortunately hes on Lake Norman in NC so I typically only get to surf with him once a year.

Right now I have a 57" Phase 5 Doctor and a 55" Phase 5 Hammerhead on the boat, doctor is the one I spend the majority of my time on. How do you position your feet on your board? Right now my back foot is centered on the board and my front foot is opened towards the boats favoring toe side. Everyone I surf with is as green as I am so we are all learning at the same time, no one to really get pointers from.
    2016 Supra SA 400

Very crude example of where I put my feet.

2016 Supra SA 400

I only carry 200 pounds of lead and surf all day. More is better but the lead is not what is holding you back.

When learning I see first issue is too much looking down. Look up at the board rack on the side you are surfing. This will make your body feel the wave and when to apply the “gas” or “brake”. Second, standing still is not an option. It may look that way but you will always be shifting weight to go and or slow down. Good luck!!!

2017 Supra SA