Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Help with getting kids up surfing

Just looking for any tips to help get my 10 yr old up on a surf board. He really wants to surf.

he is 5'6" and weighs about 60lbs or so. I have him on one of my boards right now that may be too big. Happy Pill designed for 200 lbs.. I am thinking the board is the problem, as he may not be able to muscle a large board out of the water. Anyone agree? and any tips on how to get small kids up and riding the wave?
    2019 Mondo

My kids use a kids specific board and it makes it easier for them to muscle their way to getting the board control for pulling up.(and they are 45-50 lbs)

I would recommend a kids specific board or at minimum a skim style that is easier to move around.
    2022 SA450
    2019 Mojo
    2017 Mondo - SOLD

Yes, smaller board will help a lot.

Teaching the correct foot placement is essential - starting and once up on the board.

One of the hardest items is teaching them to flip the board when starting. This is resting their feet on the board, then pushing the board down with their heels to get in the correct position. Kids cannot do this with big boards. There is also a method they can use with holding the board up with their hand and holding the rope with the other.

Correct driving is also needed. Having the youngster on the side of the wake so they are not directly behind the boat. Tying the wake rope on the side of the tower. Going slow as you are starting when they are getting their feet and board in the correct position
    2018 Supra SL400

Personally I think you can get him up on that board. I have a cheap beginner board that is actually very large at 5'4" so it helps them go wireless quickly and it sinks easily for beginners to angle over with a touch of heal pressure making it easier to get up out of the water.
    My son is 8 and is now surfing on my NSP Fish 60 which I would guess has 50% more volume than your board making it tougher for kids to get up on.
    For tips: with the boat just above idle my son can pull himself out of the water on the board, then I accelerate to surf speed.
    When pulling them up, turn to the surf side so the surfer is not in the prop wash when the are getting up and don't have to drop in on the wave when they get up. You can hook the tow rope to the surf side of the tower instead of the center.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

I would say the difference in a smaller girl at 100-120 lbs with Phase 5 Skim vs. a bigger Liquid Force Rocket is huge in getting the baord under vs. sliding on the surface. Smaller baords with little kids make a big difference in my opinion!
    2022 SA450
    2019 Mojo
    2017 Mondo - SOLD

Just my 2 cents but I think you can teach on that board unless the kid is super small. I’ve taught many kids to surf on out LF Rocket made for people up to 220lbs. The trick I teach kids and adults is to keep your arms straight the whole time. It really takes little muscle to get up if your letting the boat do the work. The next step to teach them is as soon as the boat powers up is to slide your heels to your rear end. As soon as there is water pressure under the board your going. The boards will flip itself and there really is no need to push it down. The next thing I teach them is to stay crouched until they get over to the wave. The bigger boards aren’t really harder to get up but they aren’t as easy for the kids to maneuver when they’re up and the board is faster with a light person on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

biggest thing that has helped us get noobs up is to tie the rope off on the side of the tower. center has a habit of pulling noobs into the middle of the wash. outside helps keep them outside the wake.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I spent a week on the water with a bunch of first timers:

1) 10 year old at ~90 lbs
    a. struggled to figure out initially with skim style board.
    b. We used the kids board to get him used to feet placement and popping board up.
    c. Once he figured out that movement...we put him back to skim and he got it every time.

2) 13 year old at ~110 lbs
    a. Skim first time and no problem.
    b. Moved to the bigger Rocket for 3 fin stability.

3) 15 year less coordinated kid at ~130 lbs
    a. no hope in using the rocket as she couldn't get the pressure on her heels.
    b. Had more success with the skim style

4) 8 year old that is tiny at maybe 50 lbs
    a. She has really good success with the kids Connelly board.
    b. She gets up every time...but not sure she could manhandle a full sized board.
    c. I think I could pull her up by hand she makes it look so easy and is so light!

Lesson learned is that every kid once they have it can basically get under it.....but we take for granted how tricky it is to even keep the board straight the first few times you try it!
    2022 SA450
    2019 Mojo
    2017 Mondo - SOLD

Try the aquabuddy... my 10 year old had been struggling to get up all season and was so frustrated to the point of loosing interest. Bought this bad boy and he was up right away... he only needed it one more time out before he was pretty consistent in getting up and now he doesn't want to quit! I think you could probably use another floaty or a tube but this thing is super slick and you could use it for other learning kids or even adults.

https://www.overtons.com/rave-aqua-b...er-314026.html

My son also rides the Phase 5 Scamp board... it's a solid board for kiddos all ages/size from what we've experienced.
    Last edited by uniwarking; 08-24-2020 at 04:57 PM.
    2022 Moomba Mojo
    2013 Moomba Mojo 2.5 (sold)

Tow - 2019 Ford F150 Ecoboost

Quote Originally Posted by uniwarking View Post
    Try the aquabuddy... my 10 year old had been struggling to get up all season and was so frustrated to the point of loosing interest. Bought this bad boy and he was up right away... he only needed it one more time out before he was pretty consistent in getting up and now he doesn't want to quit! I think you could probably use another floaty or a tube but this thing is super slick and you could use it for other learning kids or even adults.

https://www.overtons.com/rave-aqua-b...er-314026.html

My son also rides the Phase 5 Scamp board... it's a solid board for kiddos all ages/size from what we've experienced.
    yep, was gonna anchor a tube and let him sit on the tube and pull him off there but he wanted no part of it. Said "i am going to do this the right way or not do it at all"..
    2019 Mondo