Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2003 Mobius LSV misfire, replaced a lot already

The problem starting showing up originally only under high loads like pulling a wakeboarder out of the water with full ballast, but is now happening during normal operations sometimes. What's frustrating is that it will run great sometimes in all conditions and then for whatever reason starting missing. It does not ever seem to happen right away, but after some use it now will always happen. It's getting worse too - last night it was missing while just cruising around at 20 mph. It does not seem to be RPM related at all. When I say missing I mean you can hear it and feel it - it is quite pronounced.

Here's what I've done. Replaced plugs, wires, coil, ECM, distributer cap and rotor, fuel filter, fuel/water filter, completely drained the gas tank, added heet and sea foam. I purchased a MAP sensor from Amazon that was obviously not the right part as the boat would not even start with it installed, but given it starts and runs fine most of the time with the existing one installed I've mostly ruled that out, but I could be talked into trying another one. I've also checked the fuel pressure - it's a solid 30psi all the time.

If you were me what would you try next?
    Last edited by rothda1011; 08-20-2020 at 08:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rothda1011 View Post
    The problem starting showing up originally only under high loads like pulling a wakeboarder out of the water with full ballast, but is now happening during normal operations sometimes. What's frustrating is that it will run great sometimes in all conditions and then for whatever reason starting missing. It does not ever seem to happen right away, but after some use it now will always happen. It's getting worse too - last night it was missing while just cruising around at 20 mph. It does not seem to be RPM related at all. When I say missing I mean you can hear it and feel it - it is quite pronounced.

Here's what I've done. Replaced plugs, wires, coil, ECM, distributer cap and rotor, fuel filter, fuel/water filter, completely drained the gas tank, added heet and sea foam. I purchased a MAP sensor from Amazon that was obviously not the right part as the boat would not even start with it installed, but given it starts and runs fine most of the time with the existing one installed I've mostly ruled that out, but I could be talked into trying another one. I've also checked the fuel pressure - it's a solid 30psi all the time.

Check the wiring under the dash near the key area, I had a loose wire that would vibrate when hitting waves or randomly that would cause the boat to misfire. Probably a good idea to check the safety lanyard to. Found the problem by jiggling the the wires to see what would happen while it was running.
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

Quote Originally Posted by parrothd View Post
    Check the wiring under the dash near the key area, I had a loose wire that would vibrate when hitting waves or randomly that would cause the boat to misfire. Probably a good idea to check the safety lanyard to. Found the problem by jiggling the the wires to see what would happen while it was running.
    Thanks! I'll give that a shot. With yours did you notice gauges flickering or anything as the wires would jiggle loose?

Thanks! I'll give that a shot. With yours did you notice gauges flickering or anything as the wires would jiggle loose?
    No flickering, if you're seeing flickering check all power & ground connections all the way to battery and alternator. Mine was actually the switch plate was missing backing screws, which would slightly vibrate depending on the water conditions and jiggle the wires enough.
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

Quote Originally Posted by parrothd View Post
    No flickering, if you're seeing flickering check all power & ground connections all the way to battery and alternator. Mine was actually the switch plate was missing backing screws, which would slightly vibrate depending on the water conditions and jiggle the wires enough.
    I have no flickering, sorry I was just asking if you did to see if it's something I should be looking for. Thanks again!

A little more info may help diagnose.
    Is a single cylinder misfire or is the whole engine cutting out momentarily (that would lean me toward the loose wire theory above)
    Any lights flickering or anything at the same time?
    2020 Supra SA

Ignition control module. Mine failed in the middle of the lake, no warning but there are other threads similar to yours where it started going bad and dealt them a fit. Is your engine a 5.7 Assault TBI?

Quote Originally Posted by secondsupra2004 View Post
    Ignition control module. Mine failed in the middle of the lake, no warning but there are other threads similar to yours where it started going bad and dealt them a fit. Is your engine a 5.7 Assault TBI?
    It is a 5.7 TBI. I'll look into the ignition control module. Thanks! Don't happen to have a part number handy for that do you? If not, I'll find it!

It does not feel like everything cuts out all at once, but it feels like more than one cylinder too? I have not witnessed any flickering, but haven't really been looking either. I'll pay way more attention next time out. Sorry for the lack of clarity - your questions are great though!

Quote Originally Posted by SONIC View Post
    A little more info may help diagnose.
    Is a single cylinder misfire or is the whole engine cutting out momentarily (that would lean me toward the loose wire theory above)
    Any lights flickering or anything at the same time?
    It does not feel like everything cuts out all at once, but it feels like more than one cylinder too? I have not witnessed any flickering, but haven't really been looking either. I'll pay way more attention next time out. Sorry for the lack of clarity - your questions are great though!