Default Tips on installing a distributor?

I've got an 08 mobius lsv with the 325 i plan to replace the distributor soon. my concern is how do i get the engine in TDC in order to have the distributor properly aligned when uninstalling and installing? im not seeing a way to manually turn the engine like a car engine.
    2008 Moomba Mobius LSV.
    325 ASSAULT

Quote Originally Posted by Leirhiht View Post
    I've got an 08 mobius lsv with the 325 i plan to replace the distributor soon. my concern is how do i get the engine in TDC in order to have the distributor properly aligned when uninstalling and installing? im not seeing a way to manually turn the engine like a car engine.
    Pull all 8 spark plugs and put a wrench on one of the water pump pulley bolts. You can then easily turn the engine. Make sure the belt is tight so it doesn’t slip. Rotate the engine to TDC on number one cylinder on the compression stroke.
    Trace the number one spark plug wire back to the distributor cap and the rotor will be pointing toward that post. Align the contact on the rotor to a reference point on the engine and mark it. Disconnect The wiring to the distributor and mark the distributor base where it goes into the block. Remove the hold down bolt at the base of the distributor.
    Pull the distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by secondsupra2004 View Post
    Pull all 8 spark plugs and put a wrench on one of the water pump pulley bolts. You can then easily turn the engine. Make sure the belt is tight so it doesn’t slip. Rotate the engine to TDC on number one cylinder on the compression stroke.
    Trace the number one spark plug wire back to the distributor cap and the rotor will be pointing toward that post. Align the contact on the rotor to a reference point on the engine and mark it. Disconnect The wiring to the distributor and mark the distributor base where it goes into the block. Remove the hold down bolt at the base of the distributor.
    Pull the distributor.
    On the WP pulley, all I remember seeing is several small bolts, does it take a special tool to grip all the bolts? But i could be wrong, boat is 25 miles away and I haven't looked at the WP since I winterized. I would think there would be a big bolt in the middle of pulley.

Is it possible to mark the rotor and distributor before I take it out and just make sure the new one is lined the same way as the old one when I go to install it?
    This would be an alternative if incase I cant get it in TDC...
    2008 Moomba Mobius LSV.
    325 ASSAULT

Quote Originally Posted by Leirhiht View Post
    On the WP pulley, all I remember seeing is several small bolts, does it take a special tool to grip all the bolts? But i could be wrong, boat is 25 miles away and I haven't looked at the WP since I winterized. I would think there would be a big bolt in the middle of pulley.

Is it possible to mark the rotor and distributor before I take it out and just make sure the new one is lined the same way as the old one when I go to install it?
    This would be an alternative if incase I cant get it in TDC...
    No special tools, just a 9/16" socket I believe. There are (4) 3/8" bolts (9/16" hex) that hold the pulley on. You could definitely mark the rotor and distributor each with alignment marks. Whatever you do, don't hit the key after you remove the distributor. As you are removing the distributor assembly from the block, the shaft/rotor will be turning as you come up. Thats because the helical pinion on the end of the shaft is rotating away from the gear cut on the camshaft. Also, the oil pump shaft may or may not come out with the distributor. They used to have a slip on coupler between the two shafts, but I'm not sure what Indmar uses. Take you time dropping in the new distributor, and make sure the distributor shaft aligns with the oil pump shaft. If its not, the distributor will not drop in all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by secondsupra2004 View Post
    No special tools, just a 9/16" socket I believe. There are (4) 3/8" bolts (9/16" hex) that hold the pulley on. You could definitely mark the rotor and distributor each with alignment marks. Whatever you do, don't hit the key after you remove the distributor. As you are removing the distributor assembly from the block, the shaft/rotor will be turning as you come up. Thats because the helical pinion on the end of the shaft is rotating away from the gear cut on the camshaft. Also, the oil pump shaft may or may not come out with the distributor. They used to have a slip on coupler between the two shafts, but I'm not sure what Indmar uses. Take you time dropping in the new distributor, and make sure the distributor shaft aligns with the oil pump shaft. If its not, the distributor will not drop in all the way.
    Got it, thank you.
    My main concern was getting it in TDC but you have made me feel better saying there is no special tool required. I'll tackle this when it gets cooler out. Thanks again!
    2008 Moomba Mobius LSV.
    325 ASSAULT

I would still print the post to take with you, if you do make a mistake the only way to fix it is to have the firing order and know when 1 is at TDC.

Note and Mark all the cables on the distributor, not the rotation direction of the distributor.

One last thing to the above post, to know when the 1 is at TDC, you have to cover the spark plug hole with your thumb and as you bring the piston up it will blow air out, this is how you know you are on Compression stroke and not Exhaust.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]