Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Raptor impeller

Default Raptor impeller

So it was a very hot weekend. Pulling kids on a tube, notice CEL and got a code on the screen. Sure enough temps up to 190. Stopped and pulled my strainer, which was clear and free flowing water into the hose. Started back up it would drop back down to 170. Take back off starts climbing up again. So dropped the anchor to let everyone swim and cool down while I looked it over better. Looked at degas bottle which I remember being green but now is red. Freaked me out a bit as the only fluid that’s red is the trans and I couldn’t remember on these boats if it was water cooled or antifreeze cooled. Hated to bug him but salesman couldn’t remember exactly but thought it was green as well. Anyways left the anchor out for a while to let it all cool down before we limped back to the trailer. On way home salesman confirmed with service manager they use purple, close enough to red looking through a degas bottle and level was still correct. So pulled the impeller and found 3 fins backwards from the factory, keep in mind this is a 2020. Got 2 on order so hoping that’s all it was and will save me a trip to the shop. I’m shocked the fins made it that long being backwards. Most mercruiser pumps I’m use to would have ripped them off by now or flipped them. Guess I’ll find out this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Makai

How many hours on your current impeller?

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

What's the direction of rotation?
    2020 Supra SA

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    How many hours on your current impeller?

I think we’re at 30hr tops.

2021 Makai

Quote Originally Posted by SONIC View Post
    What's the direction of rotation?
    I didn’t check to tell you the truth, just saw the 3 were wrong compared to the rest. It was a hot one getting back there to get it out when we got home, holds a ton of heat. I’ll have to double check before popping the new one in.

2021 Makai

30 hours is nothing, curious if you got a blockage somewhere?

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    30 hours is nothing, curious if you got a blockage somewhere?

I know, far as the rubber condition its perfect minus my pry marks as it should be. We have the added on strainer that I checked while in the water and it flowed freely and the screen was clear. It would cool back down if at idle or slightly above quickly, so its getting water just not enough I guess especially as hot as it was Saturday while under load. So hoping right now a new impeller installed correctly will take care of and it and save me the drive/time back and forth for the shop as its easy to change out myself.

Air bubble in the cooling system?

Weird. Hopefully that's the problem. Keep us updated. Question is why would that happen. That's a pretty obvious deformity, I don't think the assembler at the factory would have seen that impeller and not noticed it. And those should slide in and out fairly easy so its not a result of forcing it in. So, it must of happened after install. How?, that's really the question. I don't think any debris can get through the screen that could do this. Hopefully just a freak occurrence.
    2020 Supra SL 400
    2015 Moomba Mojo(Sold)
    2018 Yamaha Waverunner(Just to fool around)
    2018 F150 Lariat
    sport edition, 3.5lt ecoboost

Its an odd one I think or hope anyways. I was pretty shocked to have a new boat heat up without having a clogged strainer or intake hose. Impellers should be here Thursday, so we'll run it again this weekend, close to the dock anyways till I trust it again.