Thread: Fuel Pump Help!

Default Fuel Pump Help!

I have a 2000 Mobius V that I'm having fuel pump issues with. I've been building a house for the last 1.5 years so the boat has been winterized this whole time. I just finished the house and told the kids we'd take the boat out for the first time this year. I know, don't hate me for just now getting it out. Boatran fine when I winterized it last. I went to fire it up and it just turns over. It runs for a second if I spray carb cleaner into the intake. Turns out my fuel pump isn't getting 12V. I got wired the fuel pump to check that and it appears to be working fine but it still didn't put any gas into the carb. I ordered a new fuel filter because it hasn't been changed in years. But what could cause the fuel pump to suddenly lose power? I reached wires for a little bit today and couldn't find any fuses or relays. Anyone got any ideas?
    -Scott

2000 Moomba Mobius V

Quote Originally Posted by ssevey17 View Post
    I have a 2000 Mobius V that I'm having fuel pump issues with. I've been building a house for the last 1.5 years so the boat has been winterized this whole time. I just finished the house and told the kids we'd take the boat out for the first time this year. I know, don't hate me for just now getting it out. Boatran fine when I winterized it last. I went to fire it up and it just turns over. It runs for a second if I spray carb cleaner into the intake. Turns out my fuel pump isn't getting 12V. I got wired the fuel pump to check that and it appears to be working fine but it still didn't put any gas into the carb. I ordered a new fuel filter because it hasn't been changed in years. But what could cause the fuel pump to suddenly lose power? I reached wires for a little bit today and couldn't find any fuses or relays. Anyone got any ideas?
    First thing you need to do is check all fuses and circuit breakers if you have them. Is it a PCM or Indmar engine? Carburetor or EFI? There are dedicated fuses and a relay for the fuel pump.
    Also, mice love insulation on wiring. Any signs of critters?

Quote Originally Posted by secondsupra2004 View Post
    First thing you need to do is check all fuses and circuit breakers if you have them. Is it a PCM or Indmar engine? Carburetor or EFI? There are dedicated fuses and a relay for the fuel pump.
    Also, mice love insulation on wiring. Any signs of critters?
    Re-read your post and see it is has a carb. I'll attach some photo's of where the relay and fuses are on my 04'. Maybe that will give you an idea. Also, see if you have a circuit panel under your dashboard right above your feet. Do you have a meter or test light to see if you are getting 12 volt at the pump when the key is on?IMG_3472.jpgIMG_3470.jpg

Two things I can think of off hand.

Did you make sure lanyard switch didn't get pulled?

Next, The fuel pump is wired through a low oil pressure safety switch. Should be two wire sensor on your boat. It energizes when Key on to allow pump to prime so it will start. If the sensor is bad, You won't get any power to prime the pump. Once engine is running, and sensor sees oil pressure, it allows 12v continuous power to pump. The sensor is at back on left side of distributor. Make sure wires didn't get pulled off.

Subscribed. I'm fuel injected so not sure I can help but curious.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

If you jumpered the pump and it runs then most likely the oil pressure switch.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

I ended up priming my pump and hot wiring it. It only ended up pumping out the gas I primed the pump with. The pump didn't seem to have the ability to draw gas from the intake gas line. I did find a loose connection on the starter. I fixed that and was getting 10V at the starter but it still wouldn't get gas to the carb. I did check the oil pressure switch and that was fine. I also checked the anit-syphon valve on the tank and that was in good working order. I also pulled the gas cap off I bit the bullet and bought a new fuel pump as I rulled out everything else. She fired right up after replacing that! There must have been some seals that went bad on the suction side of the pump from sitting for 1.5 years.

Kids are happy now that we can get on the water
    -Scott

2000 Moomba Mobius V