Cool Still Love Skiing

Looking to buy new Moomba have a 05 Outback love it for skiing behind , but now kids are getting into surfing would like to still ski which model would be best for both myself and wife skiers and now kids into surfing????

Probably a Craz or Kaiyen. But it will have quite the bump over the wake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz

I also love to ski. Our mojo fits the bill for everyone. The ski wake isn't going to be like a direct drive but at 25mph I can quickly/easily get across. I don't think I would want to run a solemn course but for early morning glass it's perfect
    '18 mojo

That is my situation as well. Still love to ski every time i get some glass. Our 07 LSV was a great all around boat and we could do everything on it but over the years we are doing much more surfing than skiing so it was time to get a boat that is suited better for surfing. I know i will give up the smaller wake for skiing, but the trade off for the ease and convenience of surfing will be worth it. My dealer said that the Craz is your best bet for an "acceptable" ski wake on a surf boat. The Craz has the ski pylon in front of the engine and the Kaiyen has it at the very back of the boat.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

I have an 18 Craz and still slalom ski. It isn’t bad. As they mention above it won’t be like a true ski boat, but is probably the best compromise. I added some lead weight (about 300lbs) for surfing which probably doesn’t help because you can’t drain it out. If I ski, I move 200lbs to the front to help level the boat out. If you aren’t skiing courses, it is a great all around boat. I kind of wish I had the extra room of the Mojo though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018 Moomba Craz
    6.2L Raptor 400
    6 Pump Ballast, Autowake 2.0, Flow 2.0 Surf System
    OJ 15x13 Wake Prop
    Digital Cruise Pro 3 (paddle wheel)
    Wetsounds Rev 10's

2005 Supra Launch 22SSV - Sold

We like to slalom as well—almost a lost art these days.

My wife just slalomed for the 1st time in 10 years last Sunday behind our 2017 Craz. She had no complaints about the wake. Of course, it’s not the same as a direct drive slalom boat, but very serviceable.
    2017 Moomba Craz
    Raptor 400
    Surf Edition

2012 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Z71
    5.3L V8
    Rough Country 3.5” Suspension Lift
    Helwig Springs

1999 Moomba Outback (sold)
    Gone but not forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by TexTgrTed1 View Post
    We like to slalom as well—almost a lost art these days.

My wife just slalomed for the 1st time in 10 years last Sunday behind our 2017 Craz. She had no complaints about the wake. Of course, it’s not the same as a direct drive slalom boat, but very serviceable.
    for my own edification, how does direct drive vs v-drive affect the wake (I've seen this mentioned in more than one thread)? I'm coming from a '95, 18ft Sea Ray Ski Ray and although the wake is night and day different from the Mondo, assuming due to displacement and hull shape, does the type of drive do much to impact the wake if both props are more or less in the same location?

[edit] as soon as I hit the replay button, it dawned on me. Weight/engine location.
    2017 Moomba Mondo

It's just a weight distribution thing. With a ski boat the motor is dead center of the boat.
    On a vdrive the motor (and all that weight) is in the back which makes it sit rear biased and deeper int he water in the back.
    Makes a bigger wake, great or boarding, not so much for skiing.
    2020 Supra SA