Default Swim Platform Repair

One of the things that stood out on the new-to-me 2017 Moomba Mondo that we picked up in Oct of 2019 was that the swim platform was already lifting/separating all around the edges. Knowing that I had fixed our previous 1995 Sea Ray Ski Ray swim platform, it already knew exactly what I would have to do so it didn't worry me too much when considering the used 2017 Mondo.

Although not a great match for a black swim platform, I had had good luck with the white, 3M 5200 adhesive in the past so it was my go-to choice to repair the Mondo swim platform: https://amzn.to/31CfEHD

Step one: remove the existing, failed adhesive. For this, I used Goof-Off and an old toothbrush to work it into the adhesive. Goof Off works like a charm and is so much better than most products I've used for this type of surface. It can be harmful to some surfaces so be sure to test in a spot that won't show in case it is too aggressive.

continued in the next post...
    Last edited by audisnapr; 08-10-2020 at 08:37 PM.
    2017 Moomba Mondo

...continued

Step 2: Once the original, failed glue is remove, I cleaned the exposed surfaces with rubbing alcohol to make sure none of the Goof-Off residue was still there.

Step 3: To make sure I didn't get the 3M product all over the place, I added a layer of blue painter's tape along the edge of the platform step material. This way, once I applied the 3M adhesive and clamped everything in place, I wouldn't have to worry about 3M adhesive spilling over onto the exposed portion of the swim platform.

Steph 4: Once dry (48hrs), I used the end of a putty knife to score the 3M adhesive that spilled onto the painter's tape. Simply peal the painter's tape up and the excess 3M adhesive comes with it. For my application, I do see a very thin white between the platform and the step material which is not ideal but it's more or less not noticeable and really only bothers me a bit.
    2017 Moomba Mondo

Excellent topic, only about 4 months too late for me. My Mojo swim platform padding also lifted at the edges. I searched this topic for info on the right adhesive and did not find anything. Well, boats gone now, but this will hopefully be good info for someone else experiencing the same problem. Good description with very helpful pics.
    2020 Supra SL 400
    2015 Moomba Mojo(Sold)
    2018 Yamaha Waverunner(Just to fool around)
    2018 F150 Lariat
    sport edition, 3.5lt ecoboost

Quote Originally Posted by Isaguel View Post
    Excellent topic, only about 4 months too late for me. My Mojo swim platform padding also lifted at the edges. I searched this topic for info on the right adhesive and did not find anything. Well, boats gone now, but this will hopefully be good info for someone else experiencing the same problem. Good description with very helpful pics.
    Thanks. My DIY wasn't as detailed as it could have been but happy to answer questions anyone might have. I should have mentioned that the 3M product held up over 6 seasons on our old boat without any signs of failure.

Also, when applying the 3M product, I was very liberal with the application and used a notched trowel to level it out before I clamped the platform pad in place. This ensured that there was even application of the 3M product, much like you would do for tile thinset.
    2017 Moomba Mondo

Very high quality repaired! Respect!
    meka money with forex time