Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Here is a second video I made of docking using a different approach angle and slight cross breeze plus having to place the boat in between two metal pylons that stuck out from the dock side while approaching a shallow beach. With these boat you will learn the high freeboard and catch the wind and I've docked mine in some steady winds before that was a bit unnerving but always follow your gut and if you feel like the angle isn't right always have a plan b to abort and retry. Don't be afraid to abort and take another stab at the approach if it doesn't feel right. One out last vacation the house we rented was usually 90 degrees from the wind and we were on open water area of the lake so I had to approach differently than I was used to but with practice comes experience.

Last edited by haknslash; 08-09-2020 at 12:39 PM.
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

Quote Originally Posted by haknslash View Post
    Make sure it's made by Slideanchor if ordering from Amazon. https://www.slideanchor.com/boxanchor
    thanks for the post up as we have been looking for an anchor but looks like it's up to amazon. slideanchor is sold out of EVERY size but 2 colors of large.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Small box anchor for the win!!!!!

When I anchor at the sand bar the box anchor is rock solid, the problem is, nobody else’s anchor holds and they drift right to me.

Key is get as far up wind as possible and watch everyone else drift away from you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

I can't believe you Max owners get by with the small box...All that freeboard and bimini acting as a sail, sometimes my large box slides a bit in Eastern Wa winds.
    19 Max
    Fully Exiled

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    I can't believe you Max owners get by with the small box...All that freeboard and bimini acting as a sail, sometimes my large box slides a bit in Eastern Wa winds.
    I use a small box without issue on a heavier SA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    Mine has even held in the fine sand of Florida gulf on stiff windy days with my previous boat while Bimini was deployed.

Small box anchor has been great and we get some 15+ mph whitecaps across wide parts of Lake Martin. When it's blowing hard I try and avoid the wind but sometimes it's unavoidable if you want in your favorite cove. Our box will sometimes be so hard to pull up if there has been lots of boat traffic or constant wind. What are the lake bed conditions you're in? Ours is mostly red clay and rock.
    Last edited by haknslash; 08-09-2020 at 06:07 PM.
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

A great system for boat ramp procedure is to have a backer and a boat driver. We load everyone in the boat and back down—float the boat, driver drives off and waits. The trailer backer/driver parks and walks to the tip of the dock. Boat driver noses in and picks up driver. No tying up to the dock. Retrieving the boat is the same but reversed.

It might just be my favorite cove that I spend at least 15 days in...dark mud, probably can't dig in deep enough. The large is heavier, just extra ballast and an arm workout for my wife.
    19 Max
    Fully Exiled

Congrats on the Max! We almost went with one last year but wound up with the Craz instead.

Lots of good advice on here about 1st time inboard owner. Take it, learn lots, have fun!
    2017 Moomba Craz
    Raptor 400
    Surf Edition

2012 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Z71
    5.3L V8
    Rough Country 3.5” Suspension Lift
    Helwig Springs

1999 Moomba Outback (sold)
    Gone but not forgotten.

i'm also looking at getting a Max for next season to replace our old glastron - at the moment, we're mostly skiers, how is the max for skiing? obviously we'd give surfing a try, but would hate to get a boat that sucks for skiing. or is there a different model that is more preferable - maybe the craz? the main reason we're looking at the moomba is overall value for what you're getting and also the seating capacity as we often have a lot of people looking to go on a boat ride. any typical non-surf boat has like 2/3 the seating capacity of an equal size surf boat.