Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    newer moombas had tabs for a "surf system". that is what I was referring to. some were manual to set and some have actuators. the mondo I have surfed didn't have any tabs on the back. it was listed.
    he replaced the rear sacs with upgrades and added an IBS in the front that iirc is piggybacked off the front bag. still only have 3 switches.
    at the time this was the recommended road map to get a good surf wave out of the mondo. others might be able to steer toward midship bags under seats and the such based on your boat being a touch newer.
    Gotcha. Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, our 2017 Mondo has the actuated surf tabs so we do that going for us.

I mentioned the P5 boards to one of the guys who was surfing with us (the one who is very animated in the video). He plans on buying two P5 boards - haha - so hopefully we'll get a chance to see how much faster, these different boards can be.

We got some more time on the water this past weekend. Relatively calm. More or less the same setup. Four-guy-surf session. Left the ladies and kids in the other two boats in the cove. The wave road pretty well and I was able to stay in the pocket a bit longer. If I messed up a turn or something, however, I would lose the wave. Turns out, while I was surfing, AutoWake had dumped a bunch of water out of the surf side and the front - still not sure why. These two runs were without optimum ballast, apparently. After these runs, when the camera was out of memory, we filled all the bags to 100%, turned AW off and made sure the big guys sat on the surf side.

2017 Moomba Mondo

Got the chance to get out mid week for another surf session with the guys. Nothing really changed in our surf setup but it was super flat out around 5pm on a Wednesday afternoon with a chance of rain. I think we are all getting a little better. At this point I'm the only one that can ride ropeless for any a good amount of time. Unfortunately for the bigger guys, we only have the one board (at the time) but will be bringing two new boards for the next session.

For all you shooters/shutterbugs out there...
    Instead of relying on the someone on the boat to hold a camera, I used two more of the same brackets I used for the skier's flag mount to hold the camera on the tower. It's rock solid. I don't notice any shake or vibration which is also good. The challenge is getting the exposure correct for the variable weather conditions. Easy enough when it's bright blue skies but a bit more difficult when the clouds roll through. I admittedly forget the camera is there from time to time so the videos aren't always exposed very well. And grading LOG videos that are under-exposed, suck (for those of you who are familiar with the process).

My ropeless ride is at about the 7:40 min mark. Also some really bad attempts at a 360 at the end of the video. I'll get it one of these days.
    2017 Moomba Mondo

The kids love surfing and it is less stressful on the body, But keep her wakeboarding. I remember her from last year at the Wakeoff! She has talent and she seems to love shredding. I try to keep Zandar away from surfing unless the water isn't cooperating for wakeboarding...or it's night time!! Night surfing for the win!!

Good luck if you entered a video for the Wakeoff!
    2018 Moomba Max - 400 Raptor - 6 pump ballast - auto wake 2 - flow 2 - gps zero off

Quote Originally Posted by jimmsch View Post
    The kids love surfing and it is less stressful on the body, But keep her wakeboarding. I remember her from last year at the Wakeoff! She has talent and she seems to love shredding. I try to keep Zandar away from surfing unless the water isn't cooperating for wakeboarding...or it's night time!! Night surfing for the win!!

Thanks! I wish I could keep her wakeboarding. She's at that stage where she will only wakeboard or surf if we really push her. We did get her out surfing this last Wednesday evening but she only stayed out a few runs. She's just so blah about it all - so of course, no competition video for us. I mean, I just bought a new-to-us $50K wake/surf boat. Come on!! No matter, everyone else on the boat can't get enough of it.

The wife and I spent some time on a little project recently. I had been seeing posts about the swim step cover and looked into getting one from Josh but figured I would give it a whirl on my own. Up until now, I've been using an old tarp weighted down by three, 5-liter used oil jugs, so I needed something. Pretty straight forward little project if you aren't expecting anything fancy. We picked up some medium grey marine vinyl, some matching nylon thread, and some 3/16" shock cord for under $50. The rest was on us.

Considering cutting out a vinyl stencil of the Moomba logo on my vinyl cutter so that I can paint the logo onto the cover - just a little added flare.

2017 Moomba Mondo

wow! that cover looks awesome! great job
    2018 Moomba Max - 400 Raptor - 6 pump ballast - auto wake 2 - flow 2 - gps zero off

That looks really good. How do you hold it down. Did you sew straps underneath?
    2020 Supra SL 400
    2015 Moomba Mojo(Sold)
    2018 Yamaha Waverunner(Just to fool around)
    2018 F150 Lariat
    sport edition, 3.5lt ecoboost

wow! that cover looks awesome! great job
    Thanks! I think it'll do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaguel View Post
    That looks really good. How do you hold it down. Did you sew straps underneath?
    No, no straps. I made the sides of the cover about 1" taller than the sides of the platform so that when the shock-cord (elastic cord) is pulled tight, the sides of the cover fold in under the platform to grab it and hold on tight. The one flaw with this design is that the one side of the platform up against the stern is curved inward (concave)... that side of the cover, when pulled tight with the shock-cord, tries to create a straight line/shape instead of following the inward curve of the platform side. Doesn't seem to be a problem because all of the other sides of the cover fold under and hug the platform - doesn't appear to be going anywhere.
    2017 Moomba Mondo

I had that same problem too with my kids. Originally it was tubing with our DD and now it’s surfing with the wake boat. We have a house rule that the kids have to ski or wakeboard before surfing/tubing . It wasn’t long before the kids were enjoying the skiing and wakeboarding more than the tubing and weren’t asking to tube anymore. My youngest is working on his skills to enter grassroots wake and surf comps next summer. Without the house rule we would still be tubing. If we are short on time we might only do a short surf session as this is our first summer surfing and he needs to catch up his surfing skill to his wake skill but 90% of the time we do a wakeboarding session first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2020 Moomba Mojo
    2008 Mastercraft Prostar 197 40th Anniversary
    Owner Ness Lake Watersports
    Wakemakers “Exact Fit” Bags + Lead = 4,700 ballast
    Audio by Wetsounds, MTX, JL Audio, Clarion
    15 X 13.00 ACME prop

I have only one boat rule......no tubes ever.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    I have only one boat rule......no tubes ever.

love that rule. wish i could say it was our rule too, but I have to carry a tube just for the friends of the kids that have no experience or skills. this year we haven't even used it since Zandar's friends have gotten a bit older and will at least kneeboard. Zayla's friends are too little yet for even a tube even though she can ride a wakeboard.

we used the rule when Zandar first started and this year with Zayla...wakeboard 3 tries before you can kneeboard. Now neither of them wants a kneeboard under them.

tubing sucks for everybody near you.