Default Temp Gauge 2000 Outback LS

Thinking of my car, the boat is a 99 outback, but really no difference.

It's always given a somewhat reliable reading until the past few years. Now it's stuck past 240 and won't come back down. I unplugged it several times cycled the computer, etc. No change. Anyone order a replacement gauge, or install a side gauge? I did check the sensor on the top of the manifold. Engine is pumping water, as I just put a new lower pump and impeller in and water is circulating in the block and out the exhaust ports. The engine does not feel too hot to the touch, it just is worrisome to not have a temp gauge.
    Last edited by SkiBoy; 08-03-2020 at 01:59 PM.
    99 Outback LS

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBoy View Post
    Thinking of my car, the boat is a 99 outback, but really no difference.

It's always given a somewhat reliable reading until the past few years. Now it's stuck past 240 and won't come back down. I unplugged it several times cycled the computer, etc. No change. Anyone order a replacement gauge, or install a side gauge? I did check the sensor on the top of the manifold. Engine is pumping water, as I just put a new lower pump and impeller in and water is circulating in the block and out the exhaust ports. The engine does not feel too hot to the touch, it just is worrisome to not have a temp gauge.
    You might try looking at these. Gauges for the older boats are tough to find and match exactly, but I think they used Faria gauges.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=faria+tem...ref=nb_sb_noss

It may be the sender. I just took a temp gun and went to all 8 cylinders, the manifold and exhaust and nothing was over 165. My gauge says I'm at 200 to 220 and then it stuck pegged all the way to the right. Something is not good. I may order a sending unit and gauge, for around $60 I'll have my correct reading back. I'll also follow the line and see if there is an issue from the manifold to the dash. Thanks for the link.
    99 Outback LS

I just dealt with this problem on my 2008 Outback V and have a thread of what I did and what it was if you care to look at it.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....esn-t-seem-hot

Like yours, did not seem hot but after 3 different sending units and temp gauges I decided it must be hot even though my thermal gun said it was not (hard to tell for sure with a thermal gun how hot the water is). After changing out the impeller and thermostat I went back to my first thought - a problem with the gauge. Ended up being a poor ground to the gauge. Not "no" ground, just a "poor" ground (4 ohms of resistance causing only 9.75 volts to the gauge). Under the dash I found the plug that the wires from mostly service the gauges and it was ever so slightly pulled apart on one end (about 1/16"). Pushed it together, made sure the clip was down all the way and whaalaa,... good ground, 12 volts to gauge and best of all, steady 170 degrees on the original gauge and sending unit all the time (on the lake, I actually smile every time I look at it). Only downside was ... I spent 3 days figuring it out!

Not saying it's your problem but you might check voltage to the power wire for the gauge to make sure it's 12v. If not, check resistance on the ground wire.

Lastly, getting the same Faria gauge proved nearly impossible for me but did find a Beede (they make Faria as well) that was very similar. Round, 2", analog, black background, red needle (if memory serves). Not sure what your's are like. Since I ended up going back to my original gauge I still have it and the sending unit for it if you are interested. Or I can get you the number if it's like yours and you care to get it from someone like Great Lakes Skipper (that's where I got it). To be honest, sourcing it was a pain and took the better part of a day.

Good luck! I HATE driving a boat when the gauge says HOT! The whole time I'm pretty certain we're gonna sink.

Thanks for the info. The gauge is working gain, I tightened the sender holding and cleaned the connection. Not sure how long it will last, but so far it's working.
    99 Outback LS

Glad to hear it. Always so nice to look at that gauge and see 170!