Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

last launch we used in depere wi we didn't have to use 4x4 at all as the ramp was super steep(had '00 ford f150 triton). dropped boat in and rear tires never even saw water. ramps here at mead are not steep at all. rear bumper is in the water before boat a$$ end is floating. rear tires are in the water up to the axle and fronts are usually wet. 4x4 is almost mandatory.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Chasejohnson42 View Post
    LOL. So your 2WD F150 has no issues with backing down a Max? That's good to know. Do you know how steep your ramp is you use? The ramp we use is 26% grade.
    No idea on the angle of grade at the ramps I’ve used my truck on but would love to know. It’s not just the angle though. Sometimes a steeper angle means you don’t have to back down as deep and risk getting in the slick concrete near the water level. As I mentioned above I quit going to one of the steeper ramps even though I enjoy its lake and it is closer to my house than other lakes simply because the ramp scares the hell out of me because it isn’t cleaner or maintained much during peak season. I literally had to do a rolling baby burnout about halfway up it once I was in the slick crap that had accumulated on the grooved surface. If I would had let out of it and killed momentum I would have been so screwed.

The ramp I use now on Lake Martin has a laughable almost non-existent angle to it which makes me have to load much, much deeper than I would prefer (bumper is in the water and tail pipe almost burbling) but since the angle isn’t steep I don’t have much wheel slip. All I know is my next truck will for sure be 4WD just so I can feel a bit easier I have two extra tires to keep me out of trouble. For me it’s not the backing down so much as it is the pulling out.
    Last edited by haknslash; 08-03-2020 at 08:09 PM.
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

Ya the only real reason I have a 4x4 is for boat launches. It is nice to have with the weight of these big boats and it is almost mandatory for some of the sketchy “launches” (if that is what they want to call them)we launch our fishing boat at here on the gulf coast. With the tides there is no telling the condition of the part of the launch you will have to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 Makai
    Raptor 450 w/ 1.76 Trans
    WakeMakers 1350s in the rear & 1K in Lead

My 2012 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71 handles my 2017 Craz with no problem & without 4WD. The 3.42 rear axle ratio probably helps.

Default Backing Down the Boat Ramp - Chevy 2017 1500 Z71

2010 Silverado 1500 Z71 here and I’ve never once come close to needing 4wd on the ramp.
    Last edited by z28ke; 08-03-2020 at 11:59 PM.
    2018 Murder Max
    2008 Outback V-Bought new; sold in 2018

Yeah, my buddy was driving it up the ramp & without asking he threw mine in 4WD HI & I almost never got the transfer case shifted back to 2WD.
    2017 Moomba Craz
    Raptor 400
    Surf Edition

2012 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Z71
    5.3L V8
    Rough Country 3.5” Suspension Lift
    Helwig Springs

1999 Moomba Outback (sold)
    Gone but not forgotten.

That's all well and good until you need it and you didn't take the 1 second to push the button and shift into 4wd.

I always use 4wd on the ramp, not "necessary" but I've seen too many videos of people losing their trucks at the ramp because it misted rain, or someone drained and oily bilge on the ramp.