Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Makai Subwoofer

Quote Originally Posted by RUGER761 View Post
    Glad you got it figured out and happy with the results. I know we love the way ours sounds.
    Ya definitely! As a side note I ordered the additional Gatorstep like you did for the bow of your Makai and it showed up yesterday. I didn't have a chance to get it on the boat but I will post pics once I do.
    2019 Makai
    Raptor 450 w/ 1.76 Trans
    WakeMakers 1350s in the rear & 1K in Lead

Quote Originally Posted by TXSurf4 View Post

I have tried posting a video of the results from my phone but can't seem to figure it out. Does anyone know the best way to post videos on here?
    Really glad they were able to help you out and with a quick turnaround no less.

I've tried to embed videos, I think the best methods to share are to host on Instagram or YouTube and then embed the link.

Sent from my Note 9 using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz Surf Edition
    Flow 2.0 Surf System w/ AutoWake™
    5,600 Lbs Ballast - Enzos + Lead + Sumo
    Wet Sounds REV10s + REVO12-XXX

Ya definitely! As a side note I ordered the additional Gatorstep like you did for the bow of your Makai and it showed up yesterday. I didn't have a chance to get it on the boat but I will post pics once I do.
    You'll love the added Gatorstep. I use it every weekend now. My wife noses up to the dock and I jump on. Then use it for our bow ladder as well. I almost forget its not standard when I see other makai pics and its missing.

So a little update.... I took the boat to Extreme Off-Road here in Houston to get the stereo tuned yesterday and it is a night and day difference!!
    All I can say is WOW!! The sub is definitely working now! It is not fitting loosening bass but I didn't expect that as I know it is a FA 10" sub but it sounds darn good and is all I need for now. It is really incredible the difference in the over all sound quality of the entire system that a professional tune made.
    Huge shout out and thanks to you RC for suggesting Extreme a while ago. Extreme is a very impressive shop, very professional, and turned the boat around the same day! Couldn't ask for anything more.

A huge Thanks to you too MLA for suggesting tuning was the issue. On another thread you actually talked me out of putting an enclosure on the back side of this sub under the helm and I am glad I didn't do that.

I have tried posting a video of the results from my phone but can't seem to figure it out. Does anyone know the best way to post videos on here?
    Would you mind posting a pic of your amp settings when you have a minute? I feel like my Makai is the same way...sub barely moves. Going to play around tomorrow and see if I can make any progress. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Boostin View Post
    Would you mind posting a pic of your amp settings when you have a minute? I feel like my Makai is the same way...sub barely moves. Going to play around tomorrow and see if I can make any progress. Thanks!
    Unfortunately my problem was a combination of amp settings along with settings in the head unit. So if yours is like mine (which it sounds like it is) then it would be best to take it to a professional shop to have it tuned. You won’t regret it. These guys tune the amps with an oscilloscope and then as MLA said the final test is with their ears and they did a heck of a job. TBH it is the best money I have spent in the boat since we bought it. Not terribly expensive either just a labor hour or two

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 Makai
    Raptor 450 w/ 1.76 Trans

Unfortunately my problem was a combination of amp settings along with settings in the head unit. So if yours is like mine (which it sounds like it is) then it would be best to take it to a professional shop to have it tuned. You won’t regret it. These guys tune the amps with an oscilloscope and then as MLA said the final test is with their ears and they did a heck of a job. TBH it is the best money I have spent in the boat since we bought it. Not terribly expensive either just a labor hour or two

Appreciate the response. Mine is just like yours - same boat, same headunit, same issue. Will see if I can find a good shop around me to tune it.

Quote Originally Posted by Boostin View Post
    Appreciate the response. Mine is just like yours - same boat, same headunit, same issue. Will see if I can find a good shop around me to tune it.
    No problem. It really is a shame that they don’t come tuned a little better from the factory and not sure why that is.....

2019 Makai
    Raptor 450 w/ 1.76 Trans

It really is a shame that they don’t come tuned a little better from the factory and not sure why that is.....

Its not unique to Skiers Choice nor any audio equipment supplier. In most cases, the audio suppliers provide detailed setting guides. However, its up to the boat builder to follow those, and make sure their people follow those guidelines. These should result in predictable results and consistency, but it does not. Just the downside of hand built boats. This is why we've seen some migrate to computer tuned DSP amps. Do not have to rely on crew installing the amps or the final QC person to tune or check the tune.

Now, 2 variables that can effect end user results. Head unit settings that can easily be adjusted by anyone from a sales person to someone at a boat show pawing around the boats, and the new owner's choice of music source.

In a perfect world, we want to tune using the weakest source, which is typically BT or old school AUX headphone jack. The downside is, now stronger modes like USB and Tuner can now over drive the system if the user is not careful. If we tune so max volume is, say, at 95% of head unit volume when using BT, then if switched over to USB, now max volume before distortion, may be like 65% of head unit volume.

Now lets toss in the thinking of keeping down warranty claims for damaged equipment. Not uncommon for a boat builder to want a more conservative tune. This can leave a little performance on the table, that a consumer or independent shop might find.

The 2020+ Supras have DSP amps that are fully tuneable which is really cool.
    From the factory the bass was OK, but with two JL m7-12's it should be much better.

Opened up the JL software hooked up a USB and was able to get it where it should have been all along with just a few clicks.

The factory tune is super conservative on the subs and the tower speakers.
    So it's not just the Makai. My SA had minimal excursion on the subs as well.
    2020 Supra SA

I got around to playing with mine a bit more. The issue ended up being the gain differential between the interior speakers and sub which are driven off the same amp in the factory system. I wanted to get the “upgraded” setup from the factory with the Syn series amp but it was too late to get in time for the build spot. The problem was that the gain was set about equal across the interior speakers and the sub. So the interior speakers were far too loud by the time the sub ended up getting the power it needed. Not ideal but I have sub gain a touch below max with interiors at probably 40-50%. I can always turn the sub down through the head unit so it works for now. But I will say it is MUCH better than it was and the sub actually moves now. For anyone looking at this in the future, give that a try.