Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Makai Subwoofer

Our 2020 has the factory sub and I think it sounds good, or good enough for me anyways. Have you looked at your amp settings to see what they are yet?

Quote Originally Posted by RUGER761 View Post
    Our 2020 has the factory sub and I think it sounds good, or good enough for me anyways. Have you looked at your amp settings to see what they are yet?
    Ya I feel like I will be happy with it once it is working properly but right now it isn't. I have even watched Hak's video of the sound system on a Max and my sub doesn't move like that one at all.

Ya I got in there and took a look and everything seems to be correct. Not sure if I am missing a setting in the head unit or what that is why I figured I will let the professionals get it tuned.
    2019 Makai
    Raptor 450 w/ 1.76 Trans
    WakeMakers 1350s in the rear & 1K in Lead

If the amp gain looks good and the sub is OK, a possibility would be that the Sub Max Volume setting in the Fusion HU is set close to zero...

Sent from my Note 9 using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz Surf Edition
    Flow 2.0 Surf System w/ AutoWake™
    5,600 Lbs Ballast - Enzos + Lead + Sumo
    Wet Sounds REV10s + REVO12-XXX

There are a couple other amp settings that will impact the woofers performance. Same with the source signal. There are setting beyond the woofer volume level.

Ya I feel like I am just missing something, obviously lol. I know the sub volume max is at 80% but other than that I don’t recall all the other settings. Here is what my amp looks like. I even checked which wires were +/- and verified they were hooked correctly at the sub.....

I have an apt to have it tuned on the 17th so hopefully it will all be good after that. I will be sure to update once I get it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 Makai
    Raptor 450 w/ 1.76 Trans

I know what a free-air sub is and they are terrible. Buy a box or build one and it will blow your hair back! That is, as long as it is working properly.

2016 Moomba Craz
    2014 Chaparral H2O 21 Sport
    1997 Sea Ray 175 Sport

Quote Originally Posted by TXSurf4 View Post
    Ya I feel like I am just missing something, obviously lol. I know the sub volume max is at 80% but other than that I don’t recall all the other settings. Here is what my amp looks like. I even checked which wires were +/- and verified they were hooked correctly at the sub....

I have an apt to have it tuned on the 17th so hopefully it will all be good after that. I will be sure to update once I get it back.

My gain is slightly higher but those are basically my same amp settings. I cant remember the HU settings. Be interesting to see what they tell you or how it sounds after you take it in.

The issue with enclosing an infinite-baffle woofer in a small enclosure, is they become a 1-note-wonder IMO. The bandwidth is greatly narrowed due to the added dampening. It may sound or feel like its "hitting harder", but its not reaching as low, as effectively now. For best the results, you'd want a quality mono amp to drive the IB woofer, compared to bridging on a two chnls of a full-range amp.

So a little update.... I took the boat to Extreme Off-Road here in Houston to get the stereo tuned yesterday and it is a night and day difference!!
    All I can say is WOW!! The sub is definitely working now! It is not fitting loosening bass but I didn't expect that as I know it is a FA 10" sub but it sounds darn good and is all I need for now. It is really incredible the difference in the over all sound quality of the entire system that a professional tune made.
    Quote Originally Posted by RC_Hinojosa View Post
    I know I don't have a Makai nor an OEM sub but if it isn't 'moving' there's a likelihood that the sub is blown or had a failure.

My WS XXX sub had a soldering failure at the voice coil last summer and was replaced under warranty.

Sent from my Note 9 using Tapatalk
    Huge shout out and thanks to you RC for suggesting Extreme a while ago. Extreme is a very impressive shop, very professional, and turned the boat around the same day! Couldn't ask for anything more.

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    If you can feel a little action out of the woofer, gut says its fine. A good tune is likely all thats needed. Boat builders, and most boat dealers, are not stereo pros.
    A huge Thanks to you too MLA for suggesting tuning was the issue. On another thread you actually talked me out of putting an enclosure on the back side of this sub under the helm and I am glad I didn't do that.

I have tried posting a video of the results from my phone but can't seem to figure it out. Does anyone know the best way to post videos on here?
    2019 Makai
    Raptor 450 w/ 1.76 Trans

Glad you got it figured out and happy with the results. I know we love the way ours sounds.