Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Makai Subwoofer

Default Makai Subwoofer

This might sound silly but can someone post up a short video of the factory subwoofer in their Makai? I am going to have my system "tuned" next week and want to make sure I don't sound like an idiot when I tell them that my sub isn't performing like it should. I am not looking to have fitting loosening bass at all, I understand it is a free air sub and it will never be at that level but my sub doesn't "move" at all. Like it mine as well not even be there lol. So if someone could take a short video of their sub in a Makai that would be great. I ask for it to be in a Makai as it will be an apples to apples comparison having the same air space and everything. Thanks in advance!
    2019 Makai
    Raptor 450 w/ 1.76 Trans
    WakeMakers 1350s in the rear & 1K in Lead

I know I don't have a Makai nor an OEM sub but if it isn't 'moving' there's a likelihood that the sub is blown or had a failure.

My WS XXX sub had a soldering failure at the voice coil last summer and was replaced under warranty.

Sent from my Note 9 using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz Surf Edition
    Flow 2.0 Surf System w/ AutoWake™
    5,600 Lbs Ballast - Enzos + Lead + Sumo
    Wet Sounds REV10s + REVO12-XXX

Quote Originally Posted by RC_Hinojosa View Post
    I know I don't have a Makai nor an OEM sub but if it isn't 'moving' there's a likelihood that the sub is blown or had a failure.

My WS XXX sub had a soldering failure at the voice coil last summer and was replaced under warranty.

Ya it has been like that since the day I got the boat. Everyone is always saying well it is a free air sub.... and I am like I get that but it is usless right now. I am going to drop it off at Extreme per your recommendation and let them tune it and see what is going on.

Does anyone know what the warranty on the Wetsounds equipment is on these boats?
    2019 Makai
    Raptor 450 w/ 1.76 Trans

Wetsounds has a 2 year warranty on their gear.

2017 Moomba Craz Surf Edition
    Flow 2.0 Surf System w/ AutoWake™
    5,600 Lbs Ballast - Enzos + Lead + Sumo
    Wet Sounds REV10s + REVO12-XXX

If its factory installed, the warranty would likely be with Skiers Choice. A completely dead woofer seems like something else other then tuning. Even with the gains down low, there should be some detectable movement with the volume up. A quick check with an ohm meter will tell a lot about the woofer circuit.

There was a couple of threads regarding this same poor performing woofer topic, and at least a couple reported back that it was resolved with a complete system tune.

A "free-air" (Infinite-baffle) can move about the same amount of air as a same size woofer with the same amp wattage in a sealed enclosure.

Quote Originally Posted by RC_Hinojosa View Post
    Wetsounds has a 2 year warranty on their gear.

Good to know!

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    If its factory installed, the warranty would likely be with Skiers Choice. A completely dead woofer seems like something else other then tuning. Even with the gains down low, there should be some detectable movement with the volume up. A quick check with an ohm meter will tell a lot about the woofer circuit.

There was a couple of threads regarding this same poor performing woofer topic, and at least a couple reported back that it was resolved with a complete system tune.

A "free-air" (Infinite-baffle) can move about the same amount of air as a same size woofer with the same amp wattage in a sealed enclosure.
    Ya I figured that the warranty might be through my dealer and that is fine. So the sub has the slightest vibration that you can only feel when you set your finger on it but it doesn't move at all. I just figured I would get the entire system tuned and that if there is a problem with the sub they will figure it out but at least everything will be tuned and ready. Am I thinking of this correctly that even if there is a problem with the sub they can still tune that channel and then I can take it to my dealer to have the sub swapped out and everything will be good to go? Or would I have to take it back to them once the new sub is installed?
    2019 Makai
    Raptor 450 w/ 1.76 Trans

If you can feel a little action out of the woofer, gut says its fine. A good tune is likely all thats needed. Boat builders, and most boat dealers, are not stereo pros.

If you can feel a little action out of the woofer, gut says its fine. A good tune is likely all thats needed. Boat builders, and most boat dealers, are not stereo pros.
    Ya that is why I am not taking it to the dealer for this and going to a professional shop. Thanks for you input!

Also, am I correct in my thinking above or would I have to take the boat back if I had to swap the sub out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 Makai
    Raptor 450 w/ 1.76 Trans

Though there is equipment to set cross-over points and measure the amps output, my ear always has the final say. So this would be a question best left to the one actually doing the tuning.

Though there is equipment to set cross-over points and measure the amps output, my ear always has the final say. So this would be a question best left to the one actually doing the tuning.
    That works. I appreciate the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 Makai
    Raptor 450 w/ 1.76 Trans