Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by zruvalcaba View Post
    Don't take this the wrong way, but if you're going to spend that kind of money on a new boat, I believe it's your responsibility to read the manual front to back and familiarize yourself with the break-in procedures of the engine and the boat before taking ownership. I agree that the dealer should've said something...especially considering what they make just on the sales of these boats. Here's a 2020 Moomba Max for instance. $50k invoice, $64k MSRP. That's a healthy markup. But as an owner you have the responsibility to educate yourself. I literally just read half of the Indmar manual for the 400 engine and there's a very specific break-in procedure as well as a specific list of items to check/change just at the 10 hour mark...let alone the 20 hour mark, and beyond. Oil change, transmission fluid change, check drive shaft alignment, v-drive fluid change, belt check, etc. Go to section 7-4 to check out the table: https://www.indmar.com/wp-content/up...C_05-17-17.pdf
    Can’t argue that it’s my responsibility to know the procedure. Believe me I’m kicking myself. I have the oil change and service scheduled. They did say they thought it would be ok and that if anything was wrong I’d prbly know it by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bch53211 View Post
    Can’t argue that it’s my responsibility to know the procedure. Believe me I’m kicking myself. I have the oil change and service scheduled. They did say they thought it would be ok and that if anything was wrong I’d prbly know it by now.
    I don't get my Max until November but I'm trying to soak up as much information as I can in the meantime. Glad I am too! My dealer literally told me that I can start wake surfing day 1. Load the ballast with max capacity and go. Well, according to the Indmar manual, that's a no-no. Straight from the manual:

Break-in Steps
    NOTICE: Do not exceed maximum RPM recommended for your engine.
    1. For the first hour, do not exceed 2000 RPM; vary RPM continuously.
    2. For the second hour, do not exceed 3000 RPM; vary the RPM regularly.
    3. For the next seven hours, do not exceed 4000 RPM; vary the RPM regularly.
    After the first ten hours but before 20 hours of operation, take your boat to the dealer for its first engine and transmission oil and filter change and engine checkup. Your Indmar dealer is best equipped to check the engine immediately after break-in. After the break-in procedure is over, your boat may be operated at any speed. Be sure to check the wide open throttle operating range; refer to Section 2, Selecting a Propeller..

Glad I checked. Overheating and damage to the engine due to neglect of these procedures voids your warranty.

Default First oil change

Quote Originally Posted by zruvalcaba View Post
    My dealer literally told me that I can start wake surfing day 1.
    Should tell you everything you need to know about your dealer....lol

That first 10 hours is not much fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

lots of differing opinions on break in's and to each their own.

some say break it in.
    some say use it like you intend from day one and let the rings land hard.

I babied my last Zx6r bike for the first 1000 miles- painful- then found out a year later while watching a show on sportbikes that kawi takes each 600/1k superbike and runs across a dyno from mile 1 and revs up to 16k to ensure proper performance.
    our first boat, a '06 supra, was the brochure boat. sold to us as new-first owners. had 89hrs on the clock. I would be highly surprised if supra did a proper 10hr break in on that boat before mag shoots and such. sold it with 350 on the clock and ran like a top. even left us a souvenir- piece of wood with wire on it and the boat registration numbers to hang off the front bow handrails so it was "legal".

that said break in really depends on who you ask.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Any dealer taking someone out on a demo is going to load up the boat and show you the wave. My guess is there are less than 10 hrs on most of those demo boats. I'm not overly worried about the break in period but think is nice to not get too crazy right off the bat. just my .02
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

A dealer demo on a wave vs a 2 hours session is big difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan