Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Makai underpowered and unreliable?

I’m in the market for a wake boat and leaning towards Makai. However I’m hearing more and more the 400 engine is too underpowered, it won’t plane, and it’s unreliable. I am between a Mojo and Makai (which I haven’t test drove yet). I’m wondering if I should just focus on Mojo? Thoughts?

Thanks for insight.
    2016 Sweetwater Godfrey Tritoon 150Hp

Unreliable? These Raptor motors have been used in several boat brands for years and seem to be near bulletproof.

As far as Makai and 400 I think a lot of that will depend on where you live (altitude) and what kind of watersports. Need more info. I know people with the Makai and 400 and they have no issues with power but they live near sea level and use the boat for surfing.
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

Thanks... we are in VA at 1000ft above sea level. So I don’t think that’s an issue.
    Sorry to clarify... I wasn’t hearing issues with the raptor engine but with the Makai electronics and other issues (non engine related).

Ford Raptors have plenty of power and reliability is outstanding and this is coming from a GM guy.

That said prop it correctly and it will pull anything you can throw at it and I run the 400 in a heavier Supra SA.

I think the “electrical” issue you heard about was Moomba and Supra switching to a 240 amp alternator that had a wiring flaw from the factory. It’s an easy fix if your dealer knows what they are doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Also a GM guy here and I'm really impressed with the raptor motor. All the problems you hear about are either people complaining because they don't understand that these boats are a small volume product, there's always going to be little things in the first 20-50 hours. It just sucks because some of those little things can leave you dead in the water... Then there's also people who have mechanical inclination so most of their problems are self inflicted.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    2016 Mojo surf edition
    1100lbs rear w/ 475lbs piggyback mid/ center 700lbs/ 500lbs IBS/ 600 lbs lead
    ACME 2315

I had the same concerns when I went to the SL, given the boat is > 1k heavier than my previous Mojo. I stuck with the 400 given the advise of some forum members, and I have to say, I am glad I saved those 8k$. The 400 pulls my SL weighted with full ballast and crew like a champ. I am yet to find an instance where I was left wanting more power. I live in central Mn. And surf quite a bit at Gull lake, not sure what elevation is. The new gear ratio and the prop adds more torque.
    At 1000ft, I'd say stick with the 400 and put that money toward adding every single option you can. Load that puppy up.
    Or get the Mojo. I loved that boat. Only problem is no subfloor ballast. I have to say, I really like the subfloor ballast thing. Sooo nice to preserve storage. You don't realize how nice it is until you have it. The SFB would be the only reason I would pick Makai over Mojo. I like the spray pattern of the Mojo better also.
    2020 Supra SL 400
    2015 Moomba Mojo(Sold)
    2018 Yamaha Waverunner(Just to fool around)
    2018 F150 Lariat
    sport edition, 3.5lt ecoboost

We have 26 hours on our 2020 Makai with no engine problems other than a small transmission fluid leak that the dealer fixed as part of our break-in service.

We opted for the 450 engine. No power issues at all with full ballast (including wakemakers upgraded bags and 1000# of lead), 4 adults and four kids in the boat, at both sea level and at 5000'.

And, yes, the extra storage, subfloor ballast and walk through transom are all great features of the Makai.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    JB

- 2020 Makai

Quote Originally Posted by jsb View Post
    We have 26 hours on our 2020 Makai with no engine problems other than a small transmission fluid leak that the dealer fixed as part of our break-in service.

We opted for the 450 engine. No power issues at all with full ballast (including wakemakers upgraded bags and 1000# of lead), 4 adults and four kids in the boat, at both sea level and at 5000'.

And, yes, the extra storage, subfloor ballast and walk through transom are all great features of the Makai.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Wise choice on the 450 at 5000 feet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Thanks everyone… Glad to know that Makai isn’t having all the problems as it was stated to me.

I have a Makai with 70 hrs on the clock this boating season. I did have 1 issue that I had to get resolved at the dealer, but after owning several boats, I’m going to tell you it is not like owning a new car, there are going to be things that have to get taken care of.

I too have the 400 and couldn’t be happier. The 450 would be an unnecessary expense in my opinion.