Thread: Carb Drip

Default Carb Drip

My 99 Outback with original 75021 Holley (rebuilt twice, most recent 3 summers ago) is running rich and has a small drip in the primary after the engine is off. The smell of gas is obvious and I semelled it today while skiing behind it. It still occasionally surges in the corners or coming out of a corner. The drip makes it difficult to start after it has been running.

Any ideas where the leak is coming from?
    99 Outback LS

I decided instead of rebuilding a 21 year old carb again, I would contact Holley Tech Support. Kyle Miller advised me of a specialty built carb, the 670 CFM ALUM MARINE AVENGER E/C . So I pulled the trigger and got one. It has float bowl windows for adjusting, weighs about half what my old carb did and the electronic choke and all the tech is 20 years newer. It starts like a fuel injected boat, (no throttle forward) runs like it is fuel injected and was easy to install. Idle is at 750 right where I like it. I adjusted the floats to specs and the boat runs like it's new. I have a friend who owns a 94 Mastercarft with the Corvette engine and he says this thing feels like my boat on take off. I could not be happier.
    99 Outback LS

Very cool. Coming from a '95 Ski Ray with a 5.7L Mercruiser, I wish I had known about this option. Although our carb never let us down, the cold starts were always a bit annoying. I had considered going full FI but the price tag always put me off.

Do you anticipate fuel savings with this setup?
    2017 Moomba Mondo

Yes on the fuel savings. Performance is unreal in comparison. I usually burn a gallon on a typical ski run. (about two miles at 36mph or 37-3800 rpm)
    I fill the tank, take 5 runs and put 5 gallons in to see how much was used. I will do that soon, but it runs so well it has to be more efficient.
    99 Outback LS

You already pulled the trigger but you can also go to EFI with the holley sniper.
    I ran my last boat (350) on a sniper and It's a nice setup and fully tuneable with a computer or the handheld controller.
    2020 Supra SA

Quote Originally Posted by SONIC View Post
    You already pulled the trigger but you can also go to EFI with the holley sniper.
    I ran my last boat (350) on a sniper and It's a nice setup and fully tuneable with a computer or the handheld controller.
    I was looking at the Sniper setup, and just wondering if you tuned yours without using the O2 sensor? I would think this is key for getting optimum performance.