Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Multi-sport boating?

I just sold my Outback LSV because I 'need' a bigger boat. I'm a water skier and I wake board, but still haven't surfed. I know wake surfing is here to stay now and these surf-class boats are the ones with all the room aboard so does anyone use them to also water ski? Can these boats do an early morning water ski session (slalom minus the buoys) with the early birds then later do some wake boarding and surfing when the rest of the family or friends show up?
    - John

2002 Outback LSV

"A towel, it says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitch hiker can have."

Might want to check out the Nautique GS22, it’s a dual sport boat, ski, wake and surf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

larry is right. my cousin has one after a tige and 2 'bu's. said it's not the best surfwave you can buy but for his slalom needs and his kids wakeboarding at lower speeds, the boat was the best he has found.

if you are interested in staying in the skiers choice family, I'd suggest checking out the supra sr. it's a floating bathtub if you want to surf but the shorter boat should help your slalom wake AND it's got enough freeboard to load up with ballast to board and surf. won't be the longest surfwave but should be able to have fun with it.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

If you want a boat that can ski and surf, then you want a boat that is relatively light with empty ballast, but you can make up the displacement by adding huge ballast bags when u want to surf. ANd remember, the more options you add the more weight. I think the Helix at 4k lbs, would be a good option. With no heater, bungee boardracks, maybe skip the Bimini, to cut back weight, but then, that boat is so deep you can add 4000lbs of ballast if you want to displace massive amounts of water for surfing. When empty and using the wake plate, you should be able to create a pretty flat wake when upto skiing speeds say 25 mph.
    Another option would be some of the older tow boats, a 2008 MC x23 is about 3500lbs when dry and produces a fairly flat wave for skiing. My buddy had an 04 that skied and surfed pretty well. You can get a relatively light surf boat to ski decent , but you cant get a ski boat to surf worth a crap.
    2020 Supra SL 400
    2015 Moomba Mojo(Sold)
    2018 Yamaha Waverunner(Just to fool around)
    2018 F150 Lariat
    sport edition, 3.5lt ecoboost

isaguel,
    makes sense on the helix but back in wisconsin couple of guys preferred skiing behind the tige 22ve over the mondo and tige was 200lbs heavier dry along with iirc a deeper vee hull.

both said the "hump" was smaller in the tige than the mondo. now wakeboarding, was the exact opposite. the hadrcore boarders doing inverts said the mondo booted them MUCH higher than the tige.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll enjoy doing some homework on the boats mentioned here. I'm a fan of Moomba and would be happy to stay in the SC family of products for sure if I can work it out that way. I'll likely prioritize size and comfort over the ability to pull a water skier with a flat-ish wake.
    - John

2002 Outback LSV

"A towel, it says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitch hiker can have."

Hey John,
    I had an 08 LSV for11 years, it was suitable for free skiing. would not think of trying a course, maybe on a long rope?

I have a 19 mondo now. I have skied behind it 1x with almost 70 hours on now. I am fortunate to have a ski buddy with MC DD for the flat wake.

However, we will get some more skiing in now that a few other issues have changed up. I will be using a big heavy ski to hopefully cut the wake a bit and not bounce too much.

come visit and go for a ride?!
    19 Mondo
    08 LSV, forever loved

I ski whenever I get the chance on glass behind our mojo. I usually run 25mph and can get across the wave pretty quick (not slalom quick) but id say max 2 seconds. I would think that 500lbs in the bow would really help to flatten the wave. I dont have any extra weight up there rt now I actually have lead midship (300lbs ish) the center wakeplate does alot to get the ass end out of the water. I feel that these boats are pretty versatile Expecially if you are willing to move weight around.
    '18 mojo

Default Multi-sport boating?

Old man was pulling me on slalom yesterday. He is not used to captaining the boat much and forgot to engage cruise control. So I was tearing it up at 38mph and honestly not much of a wake at that speed lol. But would hurt like hell to cut and fall going 50mph plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 Max - Ultrablue flake/Gray - 4400 lbs water (720s midship), 750 lbs lead somewhere

I'm not sure if this qualifies, but I find my '19 Mojo to be pretty dual sport. If anything it has a better skiing wake than a surfing wake. I feel like it's sort of a 60/40 ski/surf hull.