Thread: Drying boat out

Default Drying boat out

Our boat got soaked in a heavy rain storm on the way home last weekend. Ive had 2 fans going in it since Sunday with the seats off and covers raised. The area under the observer's seat is still a little damp and there is a little bit of a locker room smell starting to happen.

Any suggestions on getting the smell out once everything dries up and what does everone do to dry out the boat after use? I typically take out wet life jackets and open up seats and raise the back hatches but no fan.
    '18 mojo

Had the same thing happen to me. Driving in the rain seems to pack more water into the boat and cushions. Anyways I removed everything, set the cushions in the sun for a good number of days, and used an all purpose cleaner and scrub brush on the carpet to get the smell. Also may have sprinkled some baking soda but can’t remember. Took everything a while to be fully, fully dry. A trailering cover seems pretty tempting
    2008 LSV. 1100 rear sacs and IBS. ACME prop is next
    Ronix One w/ Parks bindings

I do the same thing. Unless you store your boat covered, once it dries out I do not believe you need to worry about a persistent smell. Same thing happened to me last weekend. I have my boat in garage, all the seat cushions out, was just in it playing with the surf settings screen and could detect no smell. I'm surprised your interior is still damp. Put it out in that hot Tennessee sun for a couple of hours and then garage it. Mold, like all living things, needs water to live and reproduce. The one thing that could produce a persistent smell is the water in the bilge. I'm sure you already pulled the t-plug.
    2020 Supra SL 400
    2015 Moomba Mojo(Sold)
    2018 Yamaha Waverunner(Just to fool around)
    2018 F150 Lariat
    sport edition, 3.5lt ecoboost

I use the deep storage tray over the engine to store anything that gets wet so that none of my carpet gets wet and starts to smell. When we are done for the day I remove all wet items like life jackets, floats, surf ropes etc and hang them to dry on a rack in our storage unit. Therefor our boat generally stays dry. During winter storage or if caught in a heavy rain where the boat got soaked inside I use the Damp-Rid containers and they do a great job at sucking up the moisture and keeps smells and mildew away. We cover our boat even in the storage unit. This method has worked for us including our previous boat and we never have smelly interior or compartments.

2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

Mine is on a trailer. I run a fan in the boat to keep the air moving once I'm done.
    Not running all the time, but after a weekend, I may leave the fan going 2-3 days and keep some sections of the cover open to move air around.
    2018 Supra SL400

Damprid makes these plastic containers with a bag of deliquesent beads that I use for winter storage that soaks up humidity in the air. You can by them off amazon.

DampRid FG50T HI-Capacity Moisture Absorber, 2-Pack, 4-Pound, 2 Piece https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B06ZXXLQ..._7CN.EbYP1VS34

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz

Quote Originally Posted by Stazi View Post
    Damprid makes these plastic containers with a bag of deliquesent beads that I use for winter storage that soaks up humidity in the air. You can by them off amazon.

DampRid FG50T HI-Capacity Moisture Absorber, 2-Pack, 4-Pound, 2 Piece https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B06ZXXLQ..._7CN.EbYP1VS34

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You can get them at Walmart, too.
    2019 Supra SL450

Yup we use those containers and you will be surprised how much water they will pull out from the air. Even in a seemingly dry compartment they will pull water out. They work great and we have never had smelly compartments. These are what we use..,,

image.jpg
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold