Default single to tandem axle trailer conversion

I searched the forum but came up empty. Anyone ever converted a single axle to a tandem axle trailer? I'm curious what the cost would be. Sounds like a new tandem is about $5-6k. Thanks!
    2008 LSV. 1100 rear sacs and IBS. ACME prop is next
    Ronix One w/ Parks bindings

Dang - good luck with that. I researched just going from front axle brakes only to adding brakes on the rear axle and abandoned the idea. Can't imagine trying to add a second axle unless you are a welder by trade or have a good buddy who is.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

This would be my opinion, i am not DIY enough to this myself. I am currently in process of replacing a failed axle on my 19 mondo trailer (by a repair facility) (warranty story forth coming after full resolution) and prior axle replacement on my 08 LSV for the failed/recalled torsion axles.

trailer is already tandem, so not a conversion similarity. but the replacement was wrenches only. no welding involved.

myself and buddy did the torsion axle replacement on the 08 LSV. simply jacked up the trailer, unbolted the axle, disconnected brake lines reconnected etc. took us about 3 hours to do. (my buddy is a competent mechanic, i am a competent wrench finder)

the current trailer that is getting axle replaced is tandem with leaf springs. the replacement time for the axle is about 3 hours shop time.

for your conversion, if leaf springs, some welding maybe required for the shackle connection, but i think there are bolt on posibilities, but probably not with the trailer design and the frame configuration.

assume using your current axle, it is probably a 5k capacity reuse it? buy one new axle, $500, tires etc, $300 DIY priceless and free, or shop time, and pay them, $800. maybe $200 more for brakes, if you wanted to go all 4 wheels, but 2 work now, check local laws, and 4 wheel brakes may be required.

I would think you could convert for around $2000.

post your pics as you do it! should be a great story.
    19 Mondo
    08 LSV, forever loved

Not exactly an answer to your question, but I just had a hub fail on a disc brake 3500lb spring axle, and had the parts quoted to replace it before pursuing warranty (which they approved and ends up being no cost to me). It was $820 for an entire axle (hub to hub including disc brakes) powdercoated to match my trailer and shipped to KY. That does not include the springs.

It's currently delayed because both Boatmate and Dexter Axle are slammed, but shut down for the 4th wed-mon this week, but i expect it to ship early next week.
    2018 Moomba Craz | Autowake 2.0, Zero-Off, G6 Pumps | Captain Blue/Dark Graphite/Silver Flake | Enzos + Lead

there's some engineering that goes into these trailers from center of balance to tongue weight to axle spacing etc etc etc....

unless you are running that single axle through a cad program and making sure the engineering is right for the loads and weight my .02 would be buy a new trailer. it's not as simple as welding up a second axle to the trailer.

good luck if you decide to tackle.....
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten