Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2017 Mondo Ballast Upgrade - Which Fittings?

Ordered a set of the 910's from Wakemakers. One day they were in stock, then not, so I asked how long before they are back, I was told 4-6 weeks! Browsing again the next day and they appeared to be in stock, so I chatted with the online sales rep and they had four available, so I bought two. So we'll see if they actually ship. I've read a few threads here where people struggled to get bags shipped.

Anyway, instead of ordering their kit, it seems cheaper to order 8 fittings and two bags. Worst case it's $420 (bags) and $40 (fittings). The kit is $560. I asked the online sales rep which fittings I needed and he said he couldn't share that information with me and that I should buy the kit. WTF?

Best I can tell, each bag has four (4) ports. For my Mondo, I have a supply and an overflow hose for each side. Both hoses use the Flow-Rite fittings. Looks to me like these Wakemaker male fittings would do the job.

https://www.wakemakers.com/wakemaker...g-fitting.html

Unless, the factory Flow-Rite fittings are 3/4", in which case I need these:
    https://www.wakemakers.com/dry-lok-1...g-fitting.html

I measured the factory male port. The ID hole of the fitting is 3/4" but not sure how these are measured.

Anyone know which fitting I need?
    2017 Moomba Mondo

Update: Bags were ordered and shipped out that same day, to my surprise. So that's good. Kudos to them for being on top of their stock status.

Although the bags were ordered, I still hadn't ordered the fittings. My original post above was incorrect. There are five (5) ports per bag. Two on the top, two on one end, and one on the other end (at least as far as I can tell from the photos). With that, I now needed three plugs and two male fittings for each bag. This adds another $10 to the order. Still, if this all works out, the fittings and bags together will be $90 cheaper than the kit.

I did some more digging with regards to the fitting size. Flow-Rite has a website and their catalog shows photos with dimensions of the fittings. Based on the dimensions shown in the catalog and what I measured in the boat, I'm 99% sure the fittings are the 1-1/8" versions, not the 3/4" version. I placed an order with all of the fittings that I think I need. I'll report back once everything arrives sometime mid next week.

2020-06-30.jpg
    2020-06-30 (1).jpg
    2017 Moomba Mondo

For anyone who is looking and has a similar setup to the 2017 Mondo, I can confirm the following parts are all that you need to install two 910lb bags in the rear lockers.

(2) Item No:B0082 45"L x 20"W x 25"H - 910lbs ballast bag https://www.wakemakers.com/wakemaker...llast-bag.html

(4) Item No: 33092 WakeMAKERS DryLOK 1-1/8" Flow-Rite Bag Fitting https://www.wakemakers.com/wakemaker...g-fitting.html

(6) Item No: M10203 WakeMAKERS 1" Bag Plug with Air Release Functionality https://www.wakemakers.com/wakemaker...ease-plug.html
    2017 Moomba Mondo

I just ordered the 910lbs for my 2018 Mondo as well. Have not installed yet but commenting as I may need the info you provided when I do go to install. Have you been happy with the upgrade? Current bags that came with mine are Fatsac that measure 46x20x20. So, if my math is correct current bag are 661 lbs each.

Also a driver of my comment is hoping that some on here may be able to shed some light. I ordered upgraded rear locker bags that measure 45”L x 20”W x 25”H – 910lbs.

When converting these dimensions to volume I get 22500 cubic inches. Then converting cubic inches to gallons, I get 97.4 gallons. A gallon of water weighs 8.3 pounds. So, multiplying 97.4 (gallons) by 8.3 (lbs) I come up with a weight of 808.42lbs.

To my question, either my math/info is off, or do these new bags really do not weigh/hold 910lbs, or am I missing something? Maybe I’m not accounting for the extra weight (101.59 lbs) or gallons (12.23) gallons coming from the bags stretching when filled? That just seems like a lot of stretching.
    2018 Moomba Mondo

Your math is correct, based on those dimensions. The sacs to not stretch. Another factor is the locker's actual dimensions. So not every locker will allow for a particular sac dimension to fully expand. So this can reduce the sac's real world capacity once in the locker and filled.

I had a 2017 Mondo and you can remove the carpet divider panel to squeeze a little bit more water in and let the bag raise to 25" high as an FYI
    2022 SA450
    2019 Mojo
    2017 Mondo - SOLD

Thanks for the responses. I believe there is plenty of room for the bags to fill completely in the locker based off dimensions. But will have to wait until Spring to confirm.

Was mainly looking for confirmation that my calculation was correct or if their was something I was not accounting for/factoring in. While the bags are advertised as 910lb, after doing the math it is not capable of holding 910lbs based on dimensions of the bag. Even if I filled them completely sitting on the garage floor. One thing I did not factor was the weight of the bag itself. But even with that added in, it is probably only an additional 10lb. Either way, these bags will increase the amount of weight I can hold by approximately 150lb each for a combined increase of 300lbs. See if it is enough to get the push I am looking for at my size. Again, thanks guys, there is a lot of knowledgeable and experience folks on here. These forums are a great source of information for rookies like me.
    2018 Moomba Mondo

Question on ballast upgrade for a 2017 Mondo - should I go with 910 or 1140 for rear locker? Also best to go with WakeMakers or this Fat Sac Pro X Series Jumbo V-Drive Surf Sac - W719
    Appreciate any opinions on this topic
    Kevin

Lots of folks on here have used Wakemakers with great success. I have also read about a few who had issues in there dealings with them. All businesses have a problem now and then so it’s to be expected from time to time. That being said, I have dealt with Lane at Footers Edge several times and the customer service was outstanding. They are a Fatsac dealer and will be able to help you get what you are looking for. Go with the largest bags you can. You don’t have to completely fill them if they add too much weight but if you go with smaller bags you won’t know if bigger would have been better. No one has ever said” I wish my boat had less ballast “. Too much is just right!
    2020 Moomba Mojo
    2008 Mastercraft Prostar 197 40th Anniversary
    Owner Ness Lake Watersports
    Wakemakers “Exact Fit” Bags + Lead = 4,700 ballast
    Audio by Wetsounds, MTX, JL Audio, Clarion
    15 X 13.00 ACME prop

My 2 cents. I went with the WakMakers 910 as you probably can tell from above conversation. I finally installed a couple weekends ago. Initially it looked like I had plenty of room in the lockers. However, now that they are installed, I filled one with air and man it is tight when inflated. Based on length of bag and how it goes toward the rear corner seat compartment, the bag will never fill to maximum capacity. However, it completely fills the rear lockers all the way to the top/sides. From looking I can do some minor modifications to squeeze a little more water in but not sure if it is worth the time. But we will see in a couple months when I get to drop in in the lake and try it out to see if I need a little more out of the bags or not.

They were truly plug and play (came with everything you need), took about 5 minutes at most to install both bags. Also, it did take about a month or two to receive as they were out of stock when I ordered.
    2018 Moomba Mondo