Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    I don’t think you are supposed to run both batteries at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good to know. Always ran both for the last 4 years but I’ll change that now.

The owners manual may restrict charging all banks when the engine is running due to the uncertainty of battery conditions that may overload the alternator.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    I don’t think you are supposed to run both batteries at the same time.

Huh. I guess I'll be changing how I do things. Thanks!
    2019 Supra SL450

I am no help to the OP and dying on the lake. But i am interested to find out the resolution. and this battery stuff posted now is great too. My salesman was very definitive that we should run the batteries on 1 & 2, stating the system needs the extra power from both batteries. I have never thought, just followed. now i will change, maybe check their opinion/recommendation now also.
    19 Mondo
    08 LSV, forever loved

Quote Originally Posted by yearround View Post
    I am no help to the OP and dying on the lake. But i am interested to find out the resolution. and this battery stuff posted now is great too. My salesman was very definitive that we should run the batteries on 1 & 2, stating the system needs the extra power from both batteries. I have never thought, just followed. now i will change, maybe check their opinion/recommendation now also.
    Strange advice from a dealer when SC says otherwise, but it sounds common. Maybe on a different boat or system?

I can sit engine off for nearly 2 hours with audio system playing and still restart fine on the same battery, but also knowing I have a fully charged back up.

No issues at all running just 1 battery, alternator cranks 14v no issue. Not sure what system would starve or require two batteries while engine is running.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by yearround View Post
    Never heard of such. I believe the whole reason for combining 1+2 banks is for emergency use only (in the rare case when both batteries may not be fully charged enough to start the engine). My dealer has suggested we use the onboard charger when the boat is not in use and to alternate battery 1 or 2 each outing just to allow both to charge off the engine and get some use). Been using that method and all seems fine.
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

I typically run on "both" when i put the boat in the water for the weekend. My thinking is to "top off" both batteries. As a guy who has written a lot of instruction manuals and warranty cards in his career, I understand why they say not to, but I'm usually reasonably sure that neither of my batteries are completely drained - which is the case that may damage an alternator... After the first run out, I'll switch to either 1 or 2 when i get ropes out the first time, and run on that all weekend knowing that the opposite is charged as a backup. I have never used the onboard charger. I pull the batteries and keep them in my climate controlled garage in winter.

Back to the OP; the very first time I got to surf behind my brand new boat, it died on plane and I ran into the transom.. We were baffled. I had my buddy - an avid "why the hell would you spend that much money on a new boat you idiot" guy - in the driver's seat... It turned out that the back of the seat will press on the kill switch when swiveled just right. You had to pull the lanyard and reinsert it to re-set it. I do not remember if my symptoms matched yours or not, but if you haven;t verified that I'd start there!

Are you the same guy who was talking about 2 prop hits on Lake Cumberland? Did you buy from Denney? Hopefully they can help - they tend to get overwhelmed right before a holiday weekend...
    2018 Moomba Craz | Autowake 2.0, Zero-Off, G6 Pumps | Captain Blue/Dark Graphite/Silver Flake | Enzos + Lead

There was some info that came out to run BOTH to avoid that 'popping' sound on the stereo system when starting up.

I think that was the 19s? Could be in the 20s too? I do not have that on my 2018.
    2018 Supra SL400

I run 1&2 on mine while running, and switch to 1 or 2 while chillin. The reason I do this is because on my '19 SE, while starting the motor in 1 or 2 I get a nasty pop through the speakers that's likely to do more expensive damage than running the switch in 1&2 can. I kill the motor when we switch riders so they aren't climbing in and out with their head in the exhaust.
    2019 SUPRA SE 450
    2015 Tige Z1 (SOLD)
    2014 Tige Z1 (SOLD)
    2012 Yamaha 212SS (SOLD)
    2008 Yamaha AR210 (SOLD)

If you watch one of the Matt Brown (sorry can't remember which one) he says he always runs in 1&2. Even acknowledged that the manual say only 1 or only 2.
    DDNorCal
    2019 Supra 450 SL, 1,000 lb lead and 3145 prop
    Sold - 2006 LSV 3430 Ballast, 1847 Prop, all around great boat