Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What is your setup for hitting the lake?

What im asking is do you launch your boat from your trailer every time? Store it in a garage? Backyard?

Do you have it in a slip? With a lift? Do you leave it there all year?

I dont own a vehicle that will pull one of these boats, but my buddy’s dually is always available to me. Also dont have a garage space big enough to store it. My current boat (tritoon) is in a slip at my local marina.

So my ideal setup would be to have it on a lift in the marina slip so im not launching from trailer every time. I was looking around the slips today and saw 5 wake boats (2 mastercrafts, 2 malibus, and an older moomba LSV). They were all on hydrohoist type lifts. Are those type lifts appropriate and solid? What poundage capacity would you advise?

If i put it on one of these lifts, winterized it, and covered it...would it be fine to leave it there all winter? Slip has a roof. Northwest arkansas, so it gets cold in winter but not ridiculous cold.

Is it doable to winterize it myself on the lift?

?

Trailer to the launch and been to 19 different lakes in 3 seasons.

Garage kept daily.

I like the variety of lakes.

My dealer has two marinas and one of them has a indoor rack storage. When you want your boat. You call or go online and request your boat. They take a hi LO and pull it from rack storage and drop it in the water and have it ready for you in under 30 min.

When done, the put it back indoors on the rack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

We have ours on an overhead lift at our dock in the summer and a warehouse in the winter. We have several neighbors who winterize in place on their docks as well. It is very nice to hit a button and get out on the water. I go with friends to other lakes on their rides. Winterize isn't hard, but don't mess it up if doing it yourself, big bucks to fix it...paying the dealer is like cheap insurance.
    2018 Supra SA400 aka The Ron Burgandy
    2011 Sea-Doo Wake 155
    2015 Mojo Surf, sold...2013 Axis A22 Recon Edition, sold...2010 Axis A22, sold...2007 Maxum 1800sr3, sold

This year we opted to put the boat in an enclosed storage unit near several boat ramps on our favorite lake. Last year we kept the boat at my parents house out in the weather with cover the only protection because a Max won't fit in our garage and we have a strict HOA group, so no dice storing the boat at our own house. Having the boat near the lake is great for us as we do't have to trailer it for an hour and half each way. The only draw back is that the boat is sort of "lake locked" to that specific lake unless we take the boat back home to my parents house and then plan to visit another lake the following weekend(s). But that is why we chose the lake we did as it offers the most in terms of areas for water sports, things to see and do around the lake both on water and land and has the most food/lounge amenities compared to the other lakes.

So our setup is basically:
    • prepare sandwiches and cooler the night before hitting the lake
    • wake up in the morning and eat a big breakfast
    • drive 1.5 hours down to the storage unit
    • prepare boat (remove cover, install drain plug, load coolers and gear)
    • drive to the launch 5 mins away and skip past everyone who is in the boat prepare zones loading their boats up
    • launch boat
    • enjoy epic day
    Last edited by haknslash; 06-21-2020 at 04:41 PM.
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

This is my first season with a slip (was waiting for one close to the entrance to pop open). Prior I stored it a couple hundred feet from the launch and used an entirely inappropriate vehicle to launch it half the time . I now have two appropriate vehicles for towing (go figure) but now use a hydrohoist 6600lb. If you ever plan to go to a Supra (or similar) and above a 23 ft boat, go for the 8800lb. I got lucky and bought 6600lb used for half the price of a new one with the hope that I can add a third tank or have hydrohoist swap out to the larger 8800lb floats down the line. I have three master craft x23s surrounding me, all using the 6600lb hydrohoist with no issues. Seems like half the pontoon folks lift them, the other half let them sit.

I had Dallas Boat and Canvas shop make an over the tower bimini extended top, makes it a breeze to go out as I keep the boards in the bimini and rack. Have added storage sheds, a table, nice lighting, grill, and fridge to the slip over the past two months. I basically try to make my slip feel like a beached pontoon

Honestly wish I could have both, especially when fishing out the box anchor and slide spike while the toon next to me just rams the shore haha.
    2018 Max - Ultrablue flake/Gray - 4400 lbs water (720s midship), 750 lbs lead somewhere

I have only ever trailered and have never really looked into these other options. I pay $125/month for covered storage. How much are lofts, slips, sleet storage running you?

I pay $150 for 14' X 40' enclosed storage unit.

Last edited by haknslash; 06-21-2020 at 07:37 PM.
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

Quote Originally Posted by Morganleemaster View Post
    I have only ever trailered and have never really looked into these other options. I pay $125/month for covered storage. How much are lofts, slips, sleet storage running you?

My slip is just over a couple hundred $ per month. I just leave my tritoon in the water and use a commercial pressure washer at the beginning of the season the clear the scum off the toons. It worked well this year.

The 6600lb hydrohoist lifts are around $7/8 grand at least.

If i end up with a moomba i will def have to bite the bullet on a lift, or else buy a bigger vehicle and trailer it every time i want to go out. Which honestly is not appealing to me. Its super nice to just walk up to the slip and go.

But u are locked in for the year. So ever. If u dont leave ur boat there for the winter, u still have to pay for it. But for me, thats still cheaper than buying a new $50k truck to pull it

Haknslash, that is a killer deal. My dry storage was pretty much the only game in town that wasn't 4-5 miles away and was 220 a month and only 30 ft deep.... could barely squeak the Max in there. Yours on the other hand looks fantastic.

7-8k is a good deal on a hoist around north Texas. I was getting quoted 10-11k by the installers. Slip is also really pricey, just under 6k a year for a 12x34. Extra 3k a year if you rent the hydrohoist from them (only hydrohoists allowed) and is why I bought it as I plan to be here for a couple decades. Safe Harbor Marinas are a racket around here it seems. Seems like you have a good deal and even with a cheap truck would take years to recoup cost of the slip. Crazy how the cheapest part of the boat is my boat payment
    2018 Max - Ultrablue flake/Gray - 4400 lbs water (720s midship), 750 lbs lead somewhere

Dry storage on the Lake with Valet for $250 a month. A facility tractor loads, and launches it for me. Its so convenient. I go surf for just a couple hrs all the time. My dealer will also pick up, and deliver for service, so the only time I have to tow my boat is if I want to take the boat to a different lake, or river.
    2019' Moomba Max