Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New Moomba owner - helix wakesurf question

Hi Everyone,

Brand new 2019 moomba helix owner.
    Auto wake 2.0
    G6 system
    2100lbs ballast

I have gone on it the last couple of days and some of us are finding it hard to let go of the rope and have the wave carry us. We are using a phase 5 XB board, ballast is on auto wake so sometimes it messes with plates and full ballast. One time, it was 100 port, 0 center, 50 starboard. It never lines up in the "actual" either.

Can anyone suggest scenarios to fix or maybe show what I am doing wrong. Plates are usually 75 or 60 on the surf side, 75 center tab. Just seems the wave isn't long enough either.

Thanks in advance!

First, read through the sticky on Autowake in the forum. Good info. Watch the vids from Moomba and Wake9. I had nothing but problems with Autowake, now I just fill all full and run manual with a small crew. Also, join the FB group Supra Moomba, way more info and super fast responses. More often than not, people don't use autowake, but those that do love it. I'll try again this year when I have a full boat of people. Oh, and you're gonna want more weight in that boat either through upgraded bags/lead/both.
    19 Max
    Fully Exiled

Watch my video on Autowake.

https://youtu.be/2bVN071iYLM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz

I got the same boat and didnt have a problem dropping the rope with stock ballasts. I'm 5''11, 180lbs and helix is the first boat I owned. Try the center plate closer to 0, no higher then say then 25. Put surf side at 100% and non surf around 80% and center at 100%. Try speed from 10.2-11.4 I find works on my boat. I usually run the surf plate at like 75%. After the boat is doing it's thing go into auto wake and see how you are sitting pitch/roll. It might help as it did me.

Try adding a few more #s than 2100#.

Forward weight will make it longer, but you will also loose more height. It's like putting the plate down for a flatter skim-style wave.
    2018 Supra SL400

Strange , skiers choice told me the G6 ballast is not available on the Helix. The issue came up when I upgraded to the wakemakers bags the guy there asked me which ballast system I had. I said I wasn’t sure and called SC , after giving him my vin the guy there told me G6 is not an option on the Helix. Mine is also a 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by Bch53211 View Post
    Strange , skiers choice told me the G6 ballast is not available on the Helix. The issue came up when I upgraded to the wakemakers bags the guy there asked me which ballast system I had. I said I wasn’t sure and called SC , after giving him my vin the guy there told me G6 is not an option on the Helix. Mine is also a 2019.
    Even on mooba's site shows helix with g6 add on available. I even asked the dealer and cost a bit more for this one vs the other they had. I can double check too.
    Last edited by gessler; 07-15-2020 at 06:40 PM.

I’m not surprised, no one at SC seemed to even know finally some guy there told me it wasn’t an option. When I try to customize a helix on Moomba site I do not see it as an option however. Not doubting you but under which heading to you choose the G6?

Stazi,
    Great video! Now that I have owned my Moomba for a couple months, I have finally taken the time to play with everything to get familiar. This video was very helpful.

I am new to surfing and finally was able to figure out how to get up on the board consistently a few weeks ago. I found it is like riding a bike, get the technique down, get up once, and never look back…Did this with all disregard of plate settings other than pushing the surf left toggle and filling the bags (stock) to various levels. While it is fun, I am ready to advance to the next level of getting rid of the rope. I have been cruising the site for setting info which led me to your video. I started to play with settings, weight distribution, plates, etc. and now that I have learned about pitch and roll, your video led me to auto wake which I was clueless about. Anyhow, from watching your video and playing with all the display options I do not believe my mondo is equipped with Auto wake (hit the cruise control button and cruise turns on, hit it again and it turns off).

Long way to get to my question, but under the vessel settings I have the auto wake option and can adjust the pitch and roll. My question for anyone who wants to chime in, without auto wake does changing theses settings have any functionality/baring on what the boat is doing? Or is the pitch and roll only controlled by the operator filling bags and moving people around to obtain pitch/roll?

Sorry, little long winded to get to my question
    2018 Moomba Mondo

If you don’t have the Autowake option, the pitch and roll settings will not do anything.

The best you can do is just adjust your ballast and plates to fine tune your wave.

What you can do is download an inclinometer app to you phone which will let you see what pitch and roll you are getting, if you’re curious.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz