Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Engine randomly cutting out.... not so random after all

Last week have been having the engine just quit....first instance while tubing, started right back up. Then went for an evening cruise to a restaurant across the lake and on the way back had it happen 3-5 times while going slow with one time while maneuvering into the dock. Sometimes just seconds after quitting.

Next outing same thing, mostly when going slow. Since getting the slip I have not kept the tank as full as often. Figured condensation over the years might have built up and added a bunch of HEET.

Things seem to be better.... no issues for 2 ours, then my buddy starts to drive and it happens 3 or 4 more times, with one time occurring while slaloming going 30mph. After that time my buddy could not get it to start....would not even attempt to turn over, which hasn't happened the other times. Well, I look down and notice the kill switch fell out, put it back in and bam started right up.

Then it occurred to me that the first time this ever happened was shortly after I changed the height and messed around with the swiveling lever for the helm seat. Sure enough, every time I swivel to the left, the seat hits the kill switch and with enough pressure kills the engine. Felt like an IDIOT. Pretty sure its the culprit, locked the seat and haven't had the issue again. Need to change the height to see if I can find a happy medium or maybe increase the kill switch spacer with some tape or something.

Anyways, gave me a good chuckle and glad I don't have to take her in... never a short trip in the summer.... and just a heads up for MAX owners if you have similar symptoms and having no other issues (no misfires and what seems like really smooth running engine otherwise).
    2018 Max - Ultrablue flake/Gray - 4400 lbs water (720s midship), 750 lbs lead somewhere

If you don't use it, jumper it.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

When I first got our boat I had the same thing happen lol. Took me a few times to realize my knee was tapping the kill switch
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

It’s a good practice to exercise the kill switch once in awhile too. Not while running, but just pull and reinstall the c clip a few times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Texas actually has a new boating law in place that states that drivers of boats equipped with a killswitch must have the killswitch attached to wrist or jacket.

(Thank you to the jackasses ghost riding their boats)

Not sure how they are gonna enforce it but I haven't been pulled over yet...

Sent from my Note 9 using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz Surf Edition
    Flow 2.0 Surf System w/ AutoWake™
    5,600 Lbs Ballast - Enzos + Lead + Sumo
    Wet Sounds REV10s + REVO12-XXX

Quote Originally Posted by RC_Hinojosa View Post
    Texas actually has a new boating law in place that states that drivers of boats equipped with a killswitch must have the killswitch attached to wrist or jacket.

(Thank you to the jackasses ghost riding their boats)

Not sure how they are gonna enforce it but I haven't been pulled over yet...

I would imagine it is one of those things where if they catch somebody doing something stupid or not cooperating another item/reason to pull you over or give ticket.

Or maybe it is targeting jet skiers... or was that law already in place for people riding a jet ski.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    - Jason
    2019 Moomba Max

It was already in place for jet skiers but this year Texas added boats.

2017 Moomba Craz Surf Edition
    Flow 2.0 Surf System w/ AutoWake™
    5,600 Lbs Ballast - Enzos + Lead + Sumo
    Wet Sounds REV10s + REVO12-XXX

Quote Originally Posted by zabooda View Post
    If you don't use it, jumper it.
    That’s not a bad idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 Max - Ultrablue flake/Gray - 4400 lbs water (720s midship), 750 lbs lead somewhere

Can you hook it to a life jacket and not wear the jacket? Just saying.....

Yup got a max last fall. ever time I looked over my right shoulder bumped it with my knee