Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question Noob here, have questions...

Hello fellow boaters. Apologies if this is overly long.

IÂ’m located in Northwest Arkansas right beside Beaver Lake (which Im a big fan of - awesome boating as well as fishing).

I am new to boating. We purchased a suntracker tritoon last summer because thats what the kiddos wanted. Dont get me wrong, its a fine boat and i enjoy cruising and tubing and swimming off of it and hosting other families and friends for a day on the lake.

But it was not my first choice of type of boat and i can see in the next year or so getting rid of it and getting into wake boating if the stars and spouse align haha. The versatility of these boats and the activities are very interesting and I can feel that my 11 and 9 yo daughters are going to want some more boating intensity as they get older. Heck, Im almost 40 and have never even waterskied before but ill be darned if i dont really want to try surfing behind a wake boat.

I initially didnt even consider a wakeboat because of the $ investment and zero experience with them. But i have found this Moomba brand and am really intrigued by the quality, value, and performance.

Having said all that, I have a few questions that IÂ’d like you to weigh in on.

1. My nearest dealer is over 2 hours away. Is it advisable to only have your Moomba serviced at a shop that deals with Moombas? Or would a place that deals Mastercrafts be just as qualified?

2. How do i choose the best model for me? My lake priorities are pretty diversified. We want to cruise, drive fast (faster than my tritoon with a 150 fourstroke), take guests with us, anchor and swim, tube, surf, wakeboard, a little of everything. In the model search I had honed in on the Max. Which by reading this forum a lot of people seem to really like. Liked the Max because of starting price/seating capacity/seemed like it could do it all. But would like input on which model to choose. Obviously Im a complete watersports novice, so i dont think I need the highest end of the Makai or Kaiyen (or supra/mastercraft/malibu etc).

3. I have played with the websiteÂ’s boat builder a ton. So IÂ’d like input on what colors and options look best/aid in the overall experience. Im not going to get a barebones boat- but it seems very easy to go overboard with the options. So what do i need for what I want to do and is advisable for resale down the road?

Thanks for reading and Im sure Ill have more questions soon.

I’m relatively new here as well however have been boating virtually my entire life. I learned to ski very young behind my dad’s (even old at the time) aluminum V bottom fishing boat with a 40 hp outboard. He later upgraded to a fiberglass fish “n” ski with a 150 outboard and we were high on the hog with water sports. Surfing was unheard of back then and I never even knew of a wakeboard either but I’m sure they existed. I’ve owned several boats my adult life even a couple go-fast boats. We now own a cruiser but also just this year purchased a Moomba. My first wakeboat. I too really like the Max and in fact ordered one just prior to the virus. During the uncertainty and the factory shutting down I switched things up with the dealer and ended up with a Makai.

Enough about me....I think the Max is a great boat and if you like it - get it! My wife and I have 4 kids ranging from 7-12 and the cruiser just wasn’t getting it done anymore for the kids and I couldn’t be happier with our decision to buy a second boat. Time will tell if we end up keeping the cruiser many more years.

As far as dealer support - you may just have to bite the bullet and travel the 2 hours for any warranty work but I would be willing to bet the local dealer will be happy to take your money for regular service work.

Colors - you should really get what you want...this one is a to each their own

Options - my opinion - upgraded ballast with 6 pumps, gatorstep, stereo to your liking, surf pipe, boat cover, trailer steps, and the rest is up to you. Your sea level elevation should be ok for the 400 motor (it’s what’s in my Makai). Expect high 30’s for top speed but I bet you don’t drive that fast very long very often.

Good luck!

Max20, I appreciate your input!

Glad you are enjoying your boat.

I have gotten this question a lot when filling up with gas... "how fast does she go". pat answer is "38... with 4000lbs of water and 10 people"
    don't buy a wakeboat if you are looking to cruise across the lake at 45+mph. that's not what these are built for. we never cruise above 25ish mph. gas mileage sucks and it's not enjoyable to carry on a conversation. but to each their own.....

that said when you get serious take the family down to the moomba dealer and see which boat fits your lifestyle. any of them will do what you want. helix on the smaller side and max if you need a big ride.

when service time comes nothing wrong with going to a MC dealer BUT my experience from wisconsin was be prepared to pay out the nose for service. they were the most spensive dealer in the area and knew they had a lock on the area. ymmv. I have always done most of my own service and it's not tough to do if you have the time and are mechanically inclined. being in the south winterization can be a little easier with lack of long-term freezing conditions and if stored indoors, you might not have to do a full blown winterization during layup.

color choice as max mentioned is personal preference. our first ride was orange. was a tough sell. second was black flake and pink. sold in a few days. current whip is white/blue/green and will sell quickly when that time comes.
    even this boat color has been replicated and sold several times but it'll take a minute longer and need the right buyer.

good luck....
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I don’t cruise more than 23-24 mph.

I personally don’t understand fast boat guy ripping across lake at 60-70mph. But that’s just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Fellow Razorback boater. Awesome questions, and yes a Moomba will serve you well in all the diversified activities you'd like to do mentioned in item #2.

I'm out of Little Rock, and have road/owned a Moomba boat since 2004. I've ridden on or behind on nearly all of them (Supra, Mastercraft, Tige, Malibu, Moomba, Centurian, Ski Nautique, etc). I like to say the following regarding Moomba and the industry as a whole. Moomba set the standard for most boat for the money long ago. You didn't see a Mastercraft economy boat (Axis) or the Tige economy boat (ATX) and others back in the day. Moomba was the Supra little brother that gave you as many options as possible without breaking the bank. Fast forward now in the industry and there are tons of great boats at good pricing in all feature ranges (although getting out of control) that you have to choose from. I'm bias and am going to tell you that Moomba will fit the bill for what you've listed in your requirements. The Craz or Max would be awesome choices. May be great to buy new, but you might want to shop around for "newer" used if you want to save a little money.

So let's walk through your items and then get to the bottom line. Remember, these are my opinions, lots of smart folks in this Moomba Community that can chime in and give great/better advise than mind.

#1. Go into this one with questions up front to Moomba. What/who do they allow for warranty or maintenance work without getting sideways on your warranty. All I will say about this is: if you buy new, but a boat regardless of type that fits your requirements and stands behind customer service without compromise. Moomba boats are great, but folks on this forums can witness that the boat is awesome until you need help or repair and your dealer dodges or avoids going above and beyond for you as a consumer.

#2 Yes to all, awesome boats that hold tons and provide all capability of water sports. 1 issue, Wakeboard boats aren't made for tops speed. They are made to pull and for torque. Most will push 40 ish in MPH, but not much more. What is the need?

#3, Get what you want. Talk to your dealer, some offer wakeboard and surfing classes, boat driving classes, etc. Other Moomba/Supra owners in NW Ark will be happy to help, take you out, offer advise.

Good luck, chow for now.
    C. Andrews
    2004 Moomba Outback LSV

We also cruise in the low to mid 20’s. Top speed with surf prop was 38 mph or so but we never rev the boat out to go fast. Not what these are built for as mentioned. My last boat would do 50 mph at ease and we don’t miss the speed at all.
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    I have gotten this question a lot when filling up with gas... "how fast does she go". pat answer is "38... with 4000lbs of water and 10 people"
    don't buy a wakeboat if you are looking to cruise across the lake at 45+mph. that's not what these are built for. we never cruise above 25ish mph. gas mileage sucks and it's not enjoyable to carry on a conversation. but to each their own.....

that said when you get serious take the family down to the moomba dealer and see which boat fits your lifestyle. any of them will do what you want. helix on the smaller side and max if you need a big ride.

when service time comes nothing wrong with going to a MC dealer BUT my experience from wisconsin was be prepared to pay out the nose for service. they were the most spensive dealer in the area and knew they had a lock on the area. ymmv. I have always done most of my own service and it's not tough to do if you have the time and are mechanically inclined. being in the south winterization can be a little easier with lack of long-term freezing conditions and if stored indoors, you might not have to do a full blown winterization during layup.

color choice as max mentioned is personal preference. our first ride was orange. was a tough sell. second was black flake and pink. sold in a few days. current whip is white/blue/green and will sell quickly when that time comes.
    even this boat color has been replicated and sold several times but it'll take a minute longer and need the right buyer.

good luck....
    Thanks for your input.

I will clarify about driving fast, haha. My tritoon will not get above 25 mph, and that is about as plenty fast as I would ever want to go. Maybe 30 just to get somewhere quickly. But yeah I dont want a boat just to drive around fast and realize that is not the best use of these types.

Quote Originally Posted by ArkHog View Post
    Fellow Razorback boater. Awesome questions, and yes a Moomba will serve you well in all the diversified activities you'd like to do mentioned in item #2.

I'm out of Little Rock, and have road/owned a Moomba boat since 2004. I've ridden on or behind on nearly all of them (Supra, Mastercraft, Tige, Malibu, Moomba, Centurian, Ski Nautique, etc). I like to say the following regarding Moomba and the industry as a whole. Moomba set the standard for most boat for the money long ago. You didn't see a Mastercraft economy boat (Axis) or the Tige economy boat (ATX) and others back in the day. Moomba was the Supra little brother that gave you as many options as possible without breaking the bank. Fast forward now in the industry and there are tons of great boats at good pricing in all feature ranges (although getting out of control) that you have to choose from. I'm bias and am going to tell you that Moomba will fit the bill for what you've listed in your requirements. The Craz or Max would be awesome choices. May be great to buy new, but you might want to shop around for "newer" used if you want to save a little money.

So let's walk through your items and then get to the bottom line. Remember, these are my opinions, lots of smart folks in this Moomba Community that can chime in and give great/better advise than mind.

#1. Go into this one with questions up front to Moomba. What/who do they allow for warranty or maintenance work without getting sideways on your warranty. All I will say about this is: if you buy new, but a boat regardless of type that fits your requirements and stands behind customer service without compromise. Moomba boats are great, but folks on this forums can witness that the boat is awesome until you need help or repair and your dealer dodges or avoids going above and beyond for you as a consumer.

#2 Yes to all, awesome boats that hold tons and provide all capability of water sports. 1 issue, Wakeboard boats aren't made for tops speed. They are made to pull and for torque. Most will push 40 ish in MPH, but not much more. What is the need?

#3, Get what you want. Talk to your dealer, some offer wakeboard and surfing classes, boat driving classes, etc. Other Moomba/Supra owners in NW Ark will be happy to help, take you out, offer advise.

Good luck, chow for now.
    woo pig

man, i wish there was a dealer closer to here. The two in Arkansas are in Higden and Hot Springs which are both pretty good hauls from Fayetteville. but yeah, good perspective on the dealer/service commitment.

def dont need to go over 30 mph

What body of water do you frequent?

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    I personally don’t understand fast boat guy ripping across lake at 60-70mph. But that’s just my opinion.
    we are right with ya larry. go really fast, burn a bunch of gas and stop. go really fast somewhere else, burn a bunch of gas and stop. makes no sense but to each their own.......
    I think a go fast would be fun for, oh, maybe a day. novelty over.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten