Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Where to put lead bags?

I have a 19 Helix with the integrated bow sac and wakemakers rear 1030s . I have been filling a manual 700 lb bag on the floor in the rear and wave is pretty darn good. The only thing I’d say that could improve it is to make it a little longer as I see some vids/pics of people surfing further back from boat. I now have 10 50 lb lead bags, where would you guys suggest I put them? Not sure I even need that much more ballast , I got ten because they offered one free if I got that many.

500lbs, I'd distribute it equally throughout. You already have a great wave, you just need to displace more water. If you want it longer then favor more weight towards the bow. Try 100 in rears, 200 midship and 200 bow.
    2020 Supra SL 400
    2015 Moomba Mojo(Sold)
    2018 Yamaha Waverunner(Just to fool around)
    2018 F150 Lariat
    sport edition, 3.5lt ecoboost

Thanks for the input, I was planning on distributing it like you said . Interested to see the difference when I move a little more to the bow .

I’m certainly not a pro just yet but I believe the displacement is critical but so is pitch and roll to get the wave shaped correctly. I too am considering 500 lbs of lead and my thoughts are to put 250 lbs on each side of the boat near the back.

My thoughts: today with stock ballast, my bow ballast dumps water in order to get the pitch higher (nose up). So if I add more weight to the back I’m hopeful it will get the nose up with a full front ballast creating more total displacement while attaining correct pitch.

You got the right idea, add to the rear until you lose control of bow pitch.

My guess is 500 to rear will be too much, but try it and add shift to the bow if needed. Might also need to bias some to surf side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Max20 View Post

My thoughts: today with stock ballast, my bow ballast dumps water in order to get the pitch higher (nose up). So if I add more weight to the back I’m hopeful it will get the nose up with a full front ballast creating more total displacement while attaining correct pitch.
    Totally agree with this approach. That is why I do not use Autowake. It empties ballast in order to achieve a specified Pitch/roll. It works well for begginers who are building experience, AW will provide you a surfable wave with desired shape, but at expense of total displacement. In my opinion, once one becomes more seasoned with the dynamics that create and shape wave, it is best to move on from AW. I use speed and Wakeplate to achieve desired pitch but I never empty ballast or move weight around.
    An example, I was surfing with my buddies X23 the other day. Great wave but too steep and short. He uses his AW to save profiles for different surfers, and it does empty ballast depending on profile. I kept suggesting fill up everything 100% and up the speed. He eventually agreed and from 11. 4 we eventually went to 12 MPH and it produced an awesome, long wave, smooth transition, beautiful curl, we could surf prolly 30ft back comfortably. And that was just adjusting 1 parameter. He saved it in his profiles and named it the Richard wave.
    My SL surfs best at about 12 mph also. AW is a great transition tool in my opinion that allows anyone who's never done this before to spend 80K+ for a boat and have a surfable wave and a good experience.
    2020 Supra SL 400
    2015 Moomba Mojo(Sold)
    2018 F150 Lariat

Great feedback! Maybe I’m surfing too slow at 10.8. I’ll run the speed up a bit next time we’re out. The center plate is 25 or less

12 MPH is pretty fast. Isaguel have you checked your speedo to make sure it is correct? My SL likes 11.3-11.4 I have honestly never gone any higher than 11.5.
    2018 Supra SL550 with 850lbs of lead wake
    2017 Supra SA400 (Sold)
    2016 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition (Sold)
    2017 Ford F250 Super Duty (Sold)
    2019 Ford F250 Super Duty (Sold)
    2021 GMC Denali 2500
    Soulcraft Vodoo
    Soulcraft Jordi Pro
    Soulcraft Super AV
    Phase Five Matrix

I guess I should do that. I'll use the GPS speedo on my phone and my sons phone next time to verify, my phone was dead accurate with my truck as I tested it one day. I'll let u know. But we also surfed the X-23 at 12 mph, 2 boats with similar weight displacement, so I don't thinks its unheard of. We use skim style boards P5's, so we can get away with much lower amplitude waves, go back further with plenty push. Admittedly, I cant surf as far back with my Inland Surfer board.
    2020 Supra SL 400
    2015 Moomba Mojo(Sold)
    2018 F150 Lariat

This is all great stuff - I find my wave too steep and short. I’m going to employ some of the strategies and report back