Default Oil, tranny, Vdrive maintenance

Hey guys, Recently bought a ‘06 Outback V and got a couple quick questions.

I ordered a previously recommended fluid pump in hopes of doing all the fluid maintenances myself, and as IÂ’ve gone over the Indmar manual IÂ’m finding IÂ’m questioning myself.

1) manual calls for pennzoil 15w40 oil. After searching the Internet it seems hard to come by and extremely overpriced. Others across the web have said they use shell rotella t4 triple protection 15W40. Does anyone have any recommendations or experience with this? Is it safe to use?

2) I canÂ’t seem to figure out how I remove the transmission fluid? Is there a way to pump it out or is there a plug somewhere IÂ’m not seeing? Also the manual calls for dexron 2, 3 or mercon, does it matter which fluid I use once I extract the old fluid out?

3) IÂ’m having the same issue on the Vdrive, the manual doesnÂ’t show a drain plug, so is there a way to use the pump on the vdrive?

When doing the maintenance on these do you guys have any tips or tricks to help make it go smoothly?

Also bonus question, when I bought the boat the current flame arrestor came on a separate raised plastic collar to clear part of the carb. Plastic somewhat close to an engine block seems like a bad idea to me? What do you guys think?

For #1, I used Rotella on my 2007 Supra all the years I owned it.

For #2 and #3, pull the dipsticks, extract out, put the same amount back in. But FYI, I think there is a drain on the underside of the v-drive if you can access it. I've not done that.

Tips - for changing oil, I have always used my boat and got the engine nice and warm, then changed the oil when I got back home.

Make sure the rubber gasket comes off with the old filter.

Do not over-tighten the new filter. Hand tight, then about 1/4 turn with a oil wrench.

When changing the oil filter, place a plastic bag under the remote oil filter. Helps not to make a mess.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400

When refilling the v-drive I found it works better to remove the vent on top and add the oil there. Dipstick hole is very small to pour 30 wt oil through.
    2005 Mobius LSV
    325 EFI

Hey thanks for the replies and tips guys, life got a little crazy and I just got a chance to get all the fluids flushed and replaced. Runs great, problem I seem to have is after the engine oil change my oil seems high on the dipstick? I replaced with factory recommended amount. I attached a photo of the dipstick, I had to wipe it down to get a good photo, but the oil is sitting at the “G” in “operatinf” [ATTACH=CONFIG]28751[/ATTACH
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wakka View Post
    Hey thanks for the replies and tips guys, life got a little crazy and I just got a chance to get all the fluids flushed and replaced. Runs great, problem I seem to have is after the engine oil change my oil seems high on the dipstick? I replaced with factory recommended amount. I attached a photo of the dipstick, I had to wipe it down to get a good photo, but the oil is sitting at the “G” in “operatinf” [ATTACH=CONFIG]28751[/ATTACH

My 05 xlv does the same thing as far as high read on engine oil dipstick. I’m hoping someone here has a good answer.