Thread: Drive Shaft

Default Drive Shaft

I plan to install a dripless shaft seal on 05 LSV and have a question about removing the drive shaft. How do I seperate the shaft from the flanged adapter that bolts to the v drive? Owners manual shows a clamp and bolts but my shaft fits directly into the flanged adapter.

I just got finished installing the PSS dripless shaft seal on my 06' Outback. It was quite the job but now that it is complete I am satisfied. Once you unbolt the shaft flange from the transmission you will have to take off the nut holding the flange to the drive shaft. To do this you will need to find a block of wood to rest the prop on to keep the shaft from turning, it will take a 1 1'16 socket to unscrew the nut from the driveshaft. Dont worry, no damage will be done to the prop. Once you get the nut off you will put a spacer, I used a socket betweet the end of the drive shaft and the transmission, get some 4" bolts and nuts to fit, bolt the flange back to the transmission with the spacer in between and slowly tighten the nuts, this will pull the flange off the shaft. Good luck, any more questions email me at [email protected] and I will be happy to help.
    P.S.- this job is much easier with 2 people, 1 in boat and 1 to hold the prop and slide the drive shaft up or down.

After you have the flange removed is it difficult to press the flange back onto the shaft for reassembly? Any tips?

Thanks for the info mattjj23. I debated between the PSS and OJ. Decided on the OJ. Also found a detailed pic in the SKIDIM catalog. Not much room to work with a v drive.

Yes, reinstalling the flange is difficult. On my Outback I had 2 inches of space between the flange and transmission. I had to loosen the hose clamps on the PSS, then my wife pulled backwards on the prop/shaft. I was able to barely fit my ratchet and socket on the nut but was able to get it tightened correctly. My best advice to everyone who attempts installing this on your own is PATIENCE. I took my boat out yesterday after the install and it runs like a dream, no more dripping into the bilge.

Can anyone confirm the size of the Shaft Log (Stern Tube) for a 2006 Outback V? The PSS requires this dimension in addition to the Shaft diameter.

Wink Replacing standard dripless shaft seal

Hello folks

Last year I wondered why I always had water in the bilge..at last I thought it was a normal thing.But yesterday I put my boat in the water for the summer season and found the answer..My dripless shaft seal was broken and it was dripping a lot.
    It is difficult for me to take the boat out of the water cause i donīt own a 4x4 vehicle and the Boatmate trailer is not allowed to run here, so I was thinking if it could be possible to change the seal with the boat in the water. I infer the water would come in, of course, but even in that case, has anyone tried this with sucess? I know most of you take the boat out of the water after everytime you run it so maybe this is not a normal issue there.
    If any of you had to this some time ,please let me know how to .
    Also, I think the standard shaft seal looks not so good, is there any other brand I could purchase, one metal made and not plastic, mine has a crack alongside and no idea how this could have happened.

Thanks in advance for any advice