Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trailer Bunks

Quote Originally Posted by 996scott View Post
    oh, there were a few sketchy moments where i was a little uncomfortable for sure. I always left the trailer in place just in case. Doing it at the lake is so much easier for sure. Helped my buddy do his at the lake last year and it was a million times easier, but if you're in a pinch this does work.
    Take a drive by a marina, lots of boats on wood crates and jacks, mine uses large Styrofoam blocks 2x2 feet.
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

Quote Originally Posted by zabooda View Post
    No boat launch and dock to tie up. It takes 10 minutes to change them out.
    Closest lake is about 30 mins from me . I mean technically i could go drop the boat in and do the repair right there honestly . Seems way easier than jacking it up etc etc ....more than likely what i will be doing

Had seen this on a wakeboard forum as well that instead of using PT Wood to buy Composite Deck boards , put 2 of them together and never have to worry about changing them again , obviously still wrap the in carpet and it definitely will cost more BUT if they last forever then why not . The only worry i have , due to experience building multiple decks is the screws staying in . Doing the larger lag "screws" im wondering if they will have enough bite to stay in . Anyone do this ??

I've seen guys wooden bunks float off the trailer when they launch. I would think that since composite is not going to break down, and you're only running the lag in once, then it should hold the bite as long as you don't over tighten and peal the threads made when going in. I'd do small pilot holes first.

I'll be curious how it goes - mine are probably due pretty soon as well.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

I’d be worried about the composite stuff been too floppy and the boat bending or sitting on the steel mounts weird. I like that stuff but even installing it on decks you have to over support it with more joists. I wouldn’t use it for bunk boards.

And don't forget that composite wood is about 3/4" smaller, so you may not have enough room for your prop if you are close to the prop guard on the trailer.
    2016 Craz
    2007 LSV - Sold
    2003 Outback - Sold

Default Trailer Bunks

How long did your current bunks last?

My concern with composite is they will bend/bow more that wood. They are fairly flimsy.

These look better if you go composite.

https://www.ultimatebunkboards.com/i...=3&Itemid=9999

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by larry_arizona; 06-09-2020 at 11:55 AM.
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

I cut and pre-carpet the bunks ahead of time at home. I launch and spend some time on the water. Go back to the parking lot after it has had some time to dry. Cordless drill pre-drill holes and run the lag bolts in with some wood glue/sealant of choice. Takes 1/2 hr to do entire job in the lot at most while family is out enjoying the water. Take some sandpaper and touchup spray paint to hit the areas needed on the brackets.
    2017 Moomba Craz
    400 Indmar Rapter 6.2L
    "X-ceeding Limits"

2004 Supra 22 Launch SSV-crushed by a massive oak tree. RIP 4/1/2023
    325 Indmar Assault 320 HP
    "One more hour"

composite is good for a lot of things but bunks is asking for a fail. has all the makings of an "americas funniest home video" clip.

those "ultimate bunk boards" are stupid-expensive. 1 8ft supreme board at $230 is more than double what it cost me to do it 4 months ago in wood/carpet. even the basic 8ft cost what my entire job cost.
    I guess nautty/mc owners need something to spend their coin on.....
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Prop guard is already installed . Yes they are smaller and thats why they were saying double them up . Ya i dont think i will go that route was just wondering if anyone has done it or knew of anyone who did . Agree they are definitely not as strong. Was just asking . I have had the boat 3 years now and have yet to replace them ...and the condition the boat was in when i got it, i would venture to say the have been replaced MAYBE once !! They are i bad shape thus why i, getting this done this weekend