Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Maintenance behind engine?

I have all the floor panels out because I'm replacing my carpet with Hydroturf and I don't have an owners manual. Is there anything that you guys recommend doing while this stuff is easily accessible? Its a 2000 outback that I picked up last spring, really loving it so far. Definitely gonna power wash the bottom of the hull bc it's grimy down there. I do have a slow leak somewhere that gets to about an inch or so when it's in the water for a couple hours, it stops at an inch even with my bilge off so I'll probably take it out when everything is off so I can try to find where it's coming from. Any input is appreciated, its my first boat.

Sent from my GM1900 using Tapatalk

Where the shaft exits the huill, there is packing that seals that opening to prevent water from entering. Over time, that packing becomes brittle and starts to shrink and crack and needs to be replaced. I've heard those last around 5 yrs and start leaking. They need to be repacked if its too much of a problem. Otherwise, let the bilge do its job if its not too bad. Even new Inboards will do it. My boat was bought new in 2015 and I've seen a little bit of water intrusion since the beginning. Nothing major.My buddies 2004 MC had the bilge going constantly. That boat is 20 yrs old and unless someone has replaced it already, you're overdue.
    2020 Supra SL 400
    2015 Moomba Mojo(Sold)
    2018 Yamaha Waverunner(Just to fool around)
    2018 F150 Lariat
    sport edition, 3.5lt ecoboost

Cool, thanks I'll see about getting what I need to repack that.

When i heard stuffing box I thought It would be an actually box so I thought maybe I didn't have one and was a bit confused, reminds me more of a jet ski seal.

Concur ...replace the packing . It's super cheap and way easier than what most think . Also, check to make 100% your exhaust tube from the risers to the mufflers is good and tight . Those are about 89.00 a FOOT to replace . They look great from the picture though

Cool thanks I'll check those out too, I noticed one of my air vents that goes from the back to the engine area the hose fell off, is that something I should be concerned about? Now that I think about it one of the ones infront of the windshield fell off too bc I have to put a tarp over it when it rains bc water just leaks right on my amp, sub and batteries.

Also I'm not sure where that pvc pipe goes ill have to see bc it looks like it was added in

Replace with graphite or teflon cord. The wax cord is really bad. I went 10 years with the graphite cord without an adjustment in fact the drip requirements are not critical with graphite as it won't break down like the wax cord does. You may check the rudder assembly also for wear. I don't think there are lubrication points. With my 98, you had to take the floor out for packing gland work including the lake test. Interesting to run the lake with no rear floor and engine cover.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

The pvc pipe hooks up to one of your vent hoses and blower to remove the explosive vapours pre engine start up
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Possibly a leak on one or both mufflers, could be cracked or just seeping, likely when motor not running, I have had to replace both.
    07 Outback DD