Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

I still think Autowake is more for those that cannot setup a boat/surf wave properly, specifically with regards to surfing...we don’t wakeboard.

I fill all ballast 100% and have 850 of lead spaced out almost evenly in my boat. 100 in the nose, 300 port midship, 250 starboard midship, 100 surf locker port corner and 100 surf locker starboard corner.

I adjust smartplate/wakeplate on the goofy starboard side to clean up the face and don’t need any smartplate on the port/regular side.

Produces a monster wave that is clean, tall and long as f...

Adjustments.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL550 with 850lbs of lead wake
    2017 Supra SA400 (Sold)
    2016 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition (Sold)
    2017 Ford F250 Super Duty (Sold)
    2019 Ford F250 Super Duty (Sold)
    2021 GMC Denali 2500
    Soulcraft Vodoo
    Soulcraft Jordi Pro
    Soulcraft Super AV
    Phase Five Matrix

Default Ragboy’s surf setup tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by Prospersigman View Post
    I still think Autowake is more for those that cannot setup a boat/surf wave properly, specifically with regards to surfing...we don’t wakeboard.

I fill all ballast 100% and have 850 of lead spaced out almost evenly in my boat. 100 in the nose, 300 port midship, 250 starboard midship, 100 surf locker port corner and 100 surf locker starboard corner.

I adjust smartplate/wakeplate on the goofy starboard side to clean up the face and don’t need any smartplate on the port/regular side.

Produces a monster wave that is clean, tall and long as f...

Adjustments.jpg

This is truth. I was an absolute newb to making a wave and AW taught me everything I needed to make an awesome wave.

Do I still need it? Nope, but I still use it with my lead to leverage even a better wave.

I know what pitch and roll I need for my wave and then depending on crew, I let AW talk to me where to put my lead and allows my crew to be ADD and move around.

This is pre lead with 3 total in boat. I don’t have lead wave pics but it’s significantly better.

Autowake isn’t set it and forget it, it’s a engineering toolbox that teaches you how to build a wave effectively. The one feature of AW that is overlooked is when static it predicts what your dynamic will be.

If you are in the green for pitch and roll statically you will hit your pitch and roll dynamically. Allows you to move crew or lead at idle and tells you when you are good to go.

Last edited by larry_arizona; 06-10-2020 at 12:52 PM.
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Stazi View Post
    Static settings won’t be the same as the dynamic ballast levels once the boat is moving. The software has an “idea” of what it needs to set the ballast to at static to get the required pitch and roll while moving, but it is never the same. If it was only you in the boat then Yes, the ballast levels will look very different in static mode as it tries to counteract just your weight.

Makes sense, thanks for the info (and others who chimed in too). I'll experiment a bit today and tomorrow and see how things look once I have the boat at surfing speed.

Agreed. This is almost my exact setup, though I probably differ in my midship locations. I have 200 nose, 100 in the cooler, 100 in front of the batteries on the port side, 100 under each rear corner seat, 100 in each corner of the board locker, and 50 to move around if I need to. I make my desired pitch and roll numbers with this setup and 100% full ballast, whether surfing regular or goofy.
    2019 Supra SL450

100 surf locker port corner and 100 surf locker starboard corner.

I never put bags in the surf locker. The farthest i put lead is under those small compartments (each side) against the back seat.

Does it make a difference on your SL to add the surf locker bags?
    2018 Supra SL400

Quote Originally Posted by MJHSupra View Post
    I never put bags in the surf locker. The farthest i put lead is under those small compartments (each side) against the back seat.

Does it make a difference on your SL to add the surf locker bags?
    It's a leverage thing. 100 lbs 3 ft further back has more effect than forward.
    2019 Supra SL450

Leveraging works great,but ultimately the boat is a teeter totter. You can put lead way back to maximize sinking the rear only if you an still make your desired pitch. If pitch is too high you need enough bag or lead to counter it in the bow.

I only leverage lead when I can’t hit my pitch or roll with bags, most of my lead sits mid ship to the fulcrum of the boat.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    Leveraging works great,but ultimately the boat is a teeter totter. You can put lead way back to maximize sinking the rear only if you an still make your desired pitch. If pitch is too high you need enough bag or lead to counter it in the bow.

I only leverage lead when I can’t hit my pitch or roll with bags, most of my lead sits mid ship to the fulcrum of the boat.

8 bags all in one spot takes up a lot of room. Hence it's spread throughout the boat, in areas that have space I don't need to use - like the corners of the board locker. It's offset by weight in the nose - again, space I don't need for anything else.

If I didn't put the weight in the locker, I'd have to move the nose weight further aft (to maintain pitch, like you said), potentially taking up space I could use for something else.
    2019 Supra SL450

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post

Another thing to consider is stability. Imagine your teeter-totter. If both people are sitting at the center, how much easier is it for an external force to move the ends up and down than if the people were sitting at either end?

Same concept for a boat if all your lead is over the boat's center of gravity. It won't be as stable in rough water.
    2019 Supra SL450

Wishing now auto wake had a no dump feature. It just showed your amplitude. Tells you what to do, like move people and constantly shows pitch and roll. That way I can tweak it before auto wakes dumps water to do it. Then If I really need it I hit a button and boom, auto wake does what I failed to do.
    2018 Craz, 3000lbs stock ballast, ENZOs, 500lb Lead Ballast, Still chasing the best wave!