Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jcarter20 View Post
    I removed Moomba emblem and put LED tape light in the top of housing. I just made sure to clean the surface I applied it to really well with alcohol. So far it has stayed in place. I also had a metal shop water jet a stainless steel overlay for the Moomba. Has nothing to do with lighting, but I thought it looked pretty sweet. The wires on my Craz were hanging out of the wiring harness in the rear on the port side. Just remove the cover panel in the back and mine had two leads labeled “Under water lights”.

As for this Fire Water Marine plug light....I am becoming highly skeptical. I went to install it tonight and the threads are not long enough to properly seat the plug. It did not come with an o ring either. I am going to pick one up tomorrow and hopefully be able to make this thing work. I may use some form-a-gasket also. It just makes me nervous that it is going to leak. It won’t be an issue to clear the wake plate though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Curious how you ran the LED and wires through the blower ducts to wire it up? I looked at doing the same with some left over LED strips I had but noticed it was sealed up pretty good. That housing looks great btw!

On the plug light, I have a similar one and it also only tightened a few threads. At first I used thread tape but it had a slow leak, so I dabbed on some rtv sealant and it seems to work good so far. I just tighten as much as I can but it hasn't failed in about two months of having it on there.
    2017 Moomba Craz
    Surf Edition, Autowake 2.0, Flow 2.0 Surf System
    Wakemakers 1190 Rear Bags
    500 lbs lead
    OJ 945 Prop

1997 Supra Sunsport - SOLD

Sounds like the plug light has straight threads and pile thread. Thats a bad match.

I ended up putting an o-ring in there and was able to tighten it really well. We will see if it leaks this weekend. You are correct MLA, straight threads.

As for the wiring to the Moomba light. I drilled a small hole in the plastic housing and ran the wires through that. I didn’t come up through the exhaust hose. I taped a wire sheath around the wires so they don’t rub through the plastic coating on the wires themselves. We will see how long the tape lights stays. That 3m tape is pretty good, but I am expecting it to delaminate at some point down the road.

2018 Moomba Craz
    6.2L Raptor 400
    6 Pump Ballast, Autowake 2.0, Flow 2.0 Surf System
    OJ 15x13 Wake Prop
    Digital Cruise Pro 3 (paddle wheel)
    Wetsounds Rev 10's

2005 Supra Launch 22SSV - Sold

Just ordered the 20w plug light , I’m glad I saw your posts about the fit. Is there any concern about the thread difference damaging the existing threads ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bch53211 View Post
    Just ordered the 20w plug light , I’m glad I saw your posts about the fit. Is there any concern about the thread difference damaging the existing threads ?
    The concern is that straight threads do not mate with pipe threads. You run the risk of the plug light coming out of your garboard, resulting in water intrusion.

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    The concern is that straight threads do not mate with pipe threads. You run the risk of the plug light coming out of your garboard, resulting in water intrusion.
    Sorry, I am wrong on the straight thread. It is 1/2” NTP, which is the the same thread pattern as the plug. It threaded in just fine. It is not tapered at the end like the stock plug and the threads could have been a little longer to get the plug light to seat tightly before hitting the plug housing. For added precaution, that is why I added a rubber o-ring in. It feels solid to me and I do not expect it to leak and definitely not unscrew. I will report back after this weekend.

2018 Moomba Craz
    6.2L Raptor 400
    OJ 15x13 Wake Prop
    Wetsounds Rev 10's

Quote Originally Posted by jcarter20 View Post
    Sorry, I am wrong on the straight thread. It is 1/2” NTP, which is the the same thread pattern as the plug. It threaded in just fine. It is not tapered at the end like the stock plug and the threads could have been a little longer to get the plug light to seat tightly before hitting the plug housing. For added precaution, that is why I added a rubber o-ring in. It feels solid to me and I do not expect it to leak and definitely not unscrew. I will report back after this weekend.

Any night pics of the amount of light you see? Wondering/hoping it's brighter than my 10W.....
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - ballast: 900# rears / 400# center / 650# IBS
    - audio: Exile SXT9Q x 2 towers / Kicker KM65 x 6 cabins / Xi 12 sub / Javelin & XM15.4 amps / ZLD
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

2003 SeaRay 182 -- gone but not forgotten...

Not underwater yet. I hope to be out late enough Friday night to see how it looks.

2018 Moomba Craz
    6.2L Raptor 400
    OJ 15x13 Wake Prop
    Wetsounds Rev 10's

What/where do you plug the light into to power it? I have unused auxiliary switches on dash but no idea how to connect light to power it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bch53211 View Post
    What/where do you plug the light into to power it? I have unused auxiliary switches on dash but no idea how to connect light to power it.
    Some of the newer model boats seem to have wiring already in the harness - i could not find those in my 2013 so i just ran wiring from the AUX switch back to the stern to power the light.
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - ballast: 900# rears / 400# center / 650# IBS
    - audio: Exile SXT9Q x 2 towers / Kicker KM65 x 6 cabins / Xi 12 sub / Javelin & XM15.4 amps / ZLD
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

2003 SeaRay 182 -- gone but not forgotten...