Thread: Expansion Plug

Default Expansion Plug

Apparently I failed to get all of the water out of my exhaust manifold on my 2005 Indmar 310 Carb engine. I drained the block but didn't disconnect the hoses on the back of the manifold, just running it for 30 seconds usually does the trick. We had a cold winter in Texas and one of the freeze plugs pushed out of my exhaust manifold.

It is a 7/8 inch diameter brass plug, but I can't find one anywhere. The dealer wasn't much help and I just can't find any part retailers who carry a wide assortment of brass plugs.

Does anyone know where to get one, or 4 as I plan to just replace them all, but only one pushed out.

email me at [email protected]

Talk to the guys at Indmar. They are really helpful. Somewhere on this board is the contact name (maybe someone will reply to this post with it). Another option is to call Brian Raymond at Skiers Choice--he can probably help you out also. Either way, they'll take care of you.

Default Re: Expansion Plug

Quote Originally Posted by narcosis
    Apparently I failed to get all of the water out of my exhaust manifold on my 2005 Indmar 310 Carb engine. I drained the block but didn't disconnect the hoses on the back of the manifold, just running it for 30 seconds usually does the trick. We had a cold winter in Texas and one of the freeze plugs pushed out of my exhaust manifold.

It is a 7/8 inch diameter brass plug, but I can't find one anywhere. The dealer wasn't much help and I just can't find any part retailers who carry a wide assortment of brass plugs.

Does anyone know where to get one, or 4 as I plan to just replace them all, but only one pushed out.

email me at [email protected]
    That 7/8" core plug is a Indmar P/N S582003. Your dealer should be able to get them for you.

The purpose of those plugs as well as the ones in your engine block is to plug up the hole that is used to remove the core material when the part is cast at the foundry. The term freeze plug or expansion plug that is commonly used for these plugs is misleading. They are not designed to come out if the water in the manifold or engine block freezes. Sometimes you get lucky and they do come out but that is not their purpose.

Engine Nut

I've heard that they are part of the casting process, the only thing they do after manufacturing is complete is corrode and leak. I didn't have much water in the exhaust and we don't usually have hard freezes here. Hopefully I didn't crack the manifolds anywhere.

Thanks for the part #, I was having a hard time finding one that small and brass at a parts house.