Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2012 Mojo 2.5 Won't Turn Over

Hi all!

Bought our Mojo 2.5 a few months ago and things had been running smoothly until this last weekend. Boat always cranked and started immediately with no noticeable issues, until Saturday. Turning the ignition switch to on will still turn on all accessories and you can hear the fuel pump priming, but when you go to start literally nothing happens.

Things I've checked:
    Batteries are still working fine. (I think)
    Ignition circuit breaker behind the dash isn't blown.
    The safety lanyard is installed correctly.
    Wiggling the throttle doesn't appear to do anything, so hopefully it's not the neutral safety switch.

Does anyone have any troubleshooting steps for dummies I can attempt before I get in the long waiting line at a local shop to get it looked at? I don't think I'll be able to hotwire the boat to check the ignition switch as it has a single plug that plugs in to the back of the switch with no open wires to cross. I've got a multimeter, minimal experience working on anything more complicated than a motorcycle, and a lot of free time. So hopefully I can figure this out.

Thanks in advance!
    Linus

Cables tight on the starter solenoid? A LONG time ago I found a loose ground wire on an older car that caused a similar issue. Another old trick in the book was a bad starter solenoid...sometimes a light tap would free one up. I really don’t know how to test one otherwise.

Sorry I’m not much help but other than the things you looked at, that’s what I would check.

Not sure if you could verify the neutral safety switch using a meter or not

Try bypassing the kill switch and the neutral switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz

Quote Originally Posted by Stazi View Post
    Try bypassing the kill switch and the neutral switch.

You mean by just hooking battery straight to starter?

No. Unplug them and jump them (ie close the circuit) to verify they aren’t faulty and stuck “open” causing your issue.

2017 Moomba Craz

Which motor? Is there a pack of relays on the back of the motor? In my case there were 3. Find the automotive equivalent replacement and you will save a fortune. I first swapped them around as they are the same part number. The problems moved with the relay.
    2008 Moomba Outback DD resurrection

Hey all! I appreciate all of the replies. Finally got back in the boat today and did some troubleshooting. I gave bypassing the starter solenoid a try and, despite the starter being directly connected to the battery, I was getting no response. I'm guessing the starter has gone bad. Either way, I think this is unfortunately beyond my comfort level with working on it, so I'm probably going to be bringing it to a dealer. Thanks again!

Linus

Quote Originally Posted by Linus View Post
    Hey all! I appreciate all of the replies. Finally got back in the boat today and did some troubleshooting. I gave bypassing the starter solenoid a try and, despite the starter being directly connected to the battery, I was getting no response. I'm guessing the starter has gone bad. Either way, I think this is unfortunately beyond my comfort level with working on it, so I'm probably going to be bringing it to a dealer. Thanks again!

Linus
    Did you try the relays? 1 of them controls the starter circuitry. What do you mean I was getting no response? The starter wasnt clicking or turning the engine over? Do you know how to jump the solenoid on a starter? It can be done easily enough with a screwdriver or a piece of wire.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    Did you try the relays? 1 of them controls the starter circuitry. What do you mean I was getting no response? The starter wasnt clicking or turning the engine over? Do you know how to jump the solenoid on a starter? It can be done easily enough with a screwdriver or a piece of wire.
    Honestly, not sure on the relays. I may be doing this wrong. My only experience working with starters / starter solenoids was on an old motorcycle, which was much simpler. I used jumper cables to connect the battery in terminal of the starter solenoid to the out terminal going to the starter. So, to my understanding that would bypass the solenoid and at least get the starter to turn the engine, right? When I did this I got literally no response, aside from some sparks as I connected it.

Default 2012 Mojo 2.5 Won't Turn Over

It sounds like you jumped the starter correctly, There are 2 wires that come into the starter, a hot (big cable) and a signal wire. A screwdriver across those 2 or a wire should spin it.
    If not, tap the starter with a hammer, firmly a few times and try again. If that works change the starter as it is going to happen again but it will allow you a short reprieve.
    In regards to the relays, that is what I would look into next. Simple to swap around and see if there is a change.
    On my boat the relays are on this metal plate on the back of the motor, if you are a v drive they could be on the front maybe.
    Last edited by Fastest1; 05-22-2020 at 11:03 AM.