Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Indmar 340 Assault only 2700 RPM at WOT

I have a 2008 Mobius LSV with Indmar 340 Assault. The max RPM is 2700 at WOT. It will surge up to 3400 but only for a second or two. I have replace fuel filter and checked fuel pressure. Also installed new spark plugs and cleaned K&N filter. What should I try next?

Sounds like a fault code is limiting it.
    2008 Moomba Outback DD resurrection

Thanks. How do I find the fault code?

Plug Wires, Cap, Rotor, fuel filter!
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Thanks. I replaced rotor and cap in 2017 so hopefully those are still OK? I haven’t replaced the wires. Can I buy those at an auto parts store? Or do I need to order those? And where do I find the part number?

Quote Originally Posted by Jhendrix39110 View Post
    Thanks. I replaced rotor and cap in 2017 so hopefully those are still OK? I haven’t replaced the wires. Can I buy those at an auto parts store? Or do I need to order those? And where do I find the part number?
    Personally I think that the Cap and Rotor are cheap enough that they're worth replacing. By the time you pull them off, it's silly to skip out on like $20 in parts. They corrode and cause issues. I use the cheap aluminum ones from the auto parts store and replace every couple years.

As far as plug wires, You might check Bakes. Technically, wires from a car would work fine. However, the lengths of them is going to be different as the distributer is typically located in a different spot on a car as it is on the boat. And if you have the 340 CAT ETX like I do, the clearance is TIGHT on the distributer to the manifold so having the correct angle of the ends on the plug wires is important for fit. And the good ones are numbered making things that much easier. They're expensive for what they are, but I haven't found anything for a lower price that doesn't have drawbacks.

I have a 2008 with the 340 cat etx and it's a prissy little Bi*** about cap/rotor/plugwires... Also swap out the fuel filter. it's cheap and easy. But easiest to find the fuel filter online because the hose size is bigger than cars...

Sure, I throw parts at my boat to deal with problems (I've had your symptoms before) and I can't say with absolute certainty what the EXACT solution for a given problem was, but I do know that even throwing parts at my boat, it's still been cheaper than a single visit to the dealer.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Will give those a try and let you know how it works out. Thanks again!

I have a few boat dealers around me that will scan the codes, usually on Saturday. Some will charge a fee, some dont.
    2008 Moomba Outback DD resurrection

Thanks for the suggestion. Does the Check Engine Light need to be lit up in order to show a fault code? It is not lit so just checking if that is required.

Change the ignition module under the distributor. Had the same problem replace everything talked to Larry (Engine Nut) told me to replace it got it at the local NAPA store he said it wasn't special for a marine distributor.
    2004 Mobius LSV 340 HP
    Gravity III Ballast
    750s in Rear
    Stock 400 in Front