Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Surf Boat

Default Best Surf Boat

Hey there everyone,

I hope all is well. I appreciate all of the help to come. My brother and I are in the market for our first surf boat. We are looking to spend $80k or less (hopefully), and are curious on the best surf boat we can find that makes the best wave. I've done a ton of research, but curious on what everyone else thinks.

I've looked at the Mojo, Makai, the Supreme's, Axis, etc. and we definitely want something 23' or more. After doing a lot of research, it seems Axis lacks in interior compared to Moomba, but I can't find much comparing the waves unless it is completely biased one way or the other.

I've recently found Supreme boats and have seen great reviews (some even saying some of the best surf waves out there) but was curious on everyone else's thoughts. We are in North Carolina, so having dealers nearby is very important for us for service, but we also don't want to sacrifice on the surf wave.

I think that is everything, let me know if you all have any questions / recommendations!

Thanks,
    Andrew

I ride our mojo and a buddies axis t23. The waves are just different. In my neck of the woods, MN, everyone seems to think surf gate is the best and anything without it is junk. The difference in my comparison is our mojo has a better lip on the wave for airs, and an axis seems to have a wider sweet spot so I can get bigger bottom turns, but the lip isn't as good and the wave isn't as long on the axis compared to our mojo. A lot of these things are personal preference, with enough weight and moving it around, you can create and change your wave as you see fit. I don't really know much about other brands, but I do know if I were to buy again, I would stick with moomba, I'm happy with it. If I were shopping right now, I would get a 2020 Makai because of the better transmission ratio, maybe that was on the 19s too, I don't know, and the flow 3.0 plates. Just my 2 cents, good luck!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    2016 Mojo surf edition
    1100lbs rear w/ 475lbs piggyback mid/ center 700lbs/ 500lbs IBS/ 600 lbs lead
    ACME 2315

Unbiased is almost impossible. Also, theres more factors than just the boat. Water conditions, surfer abilities, upgrades, ect. ect, will all play a role in someone's opinion. I'd demo as many boats as possible. With today's technology, and all the exact fit upgrades offered, most new boats probably throw a decent wave. Most need upgrades tho. The guys buying the high dollar Supras are still adding lead.

That being said, the Moomba Max has the best wave anyone will ever see in this lifetime. Sincerely, a dedicated Max owner
    2019' Moomba Max

Quote Originally Posted by DNIXD99 View Post
    Unbiased is almost impossible.
    That being said, the Moomba Max has the best wave anyone will ever see in this lifetime. Sincerely, a dedicated Max owner
    best reply in this thread

assume you are speaking new and not used.
    dealers locally will influence a lot of your decision since you stated you want dealers close by so it would be better to list which brands you are considering and all others are out the window..
    in the value boat segment for surfing I'd look at the following:
    moomba max
    supreme 238
    mb 23ft
    atx 24

all will produce great waves with some minor weight tweaks. the atx is likely going to be the highest price of the 4 but will require the least in added ballast/extra cost. skip axis. too many negatives with that line compared to the others.

supreme is the only dealer I have in vegas(other than axis) and that would not stop me from shopping the other 3 however I'd probably drop mb and focus on supreme/moomba/atx and pick the one that best fits your family needs and pocketbook. all will produce great waves that unless you are a pro rider you should be happy with.....

good luck.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

An 80k budget does open up many options. I agree with sticking with 23' or larger. You mentioned you and your brother, didn't mention ages. If you are young you're prolly gonna have a boatload of friends every weekend and you'll need the extra space, plus room for beer. I sometimes wish I had more space. I could not go any smaller now. As far as waves, I've ridden in MC's, Axis, momba and I find the wave is partially affected by the boat but most importantly the operator. You can get a great wave from just about any boat if you know what you are doing. My buddy's MC X23 2004 put out a healthy wave with tons of push and it did not even have surf tabs or plates. My Moomba's wave absolutely sucked out of the box, I was so frustrated and about to give up, now it produces a tall long wave with great push.
    Point is, you wont get a good feel for the capability of the boat by test driving since most boats need more weight and other tweaks. Look at interior fit and finish, features, space, price and ability to add weight, and then decide. I think reliability has much to do with how well you maintain and care for the boat.

80k is a lotta dough man, its puts you in a comfortable position of having many options to choose from in the mid price segment.
    2020 Supra SL 400
    2015 Moomba Mojo(Sold)
    2018 Yamaha Waverunner(Just to fool around)
    2018 F150 Lariat
    sport edition, 3.5lt ecoboost

If you like the Supra brand, a used SG 2015-16 are good boats. Depending on motor and hours, they are right around 80ish.

The SA was redesigned in 2016, would not recommend the previous year hull, not deep enough. A 16 or 17 would be > $80k starting. Nice boats.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400

Default Best Surf Boat

I agree ^^^^^^ if you can stretch to an SG or 16+ SA you will not regret it.

Here is a killer 2016 SG550 for sale, scrape up an extra $7k

2016 Supra SG 550 for sale
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by larry_arizona; 05-06-2020 at 09:22 AM.
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    I agree ^^^^^^ if you can stretch to an SG or 16+ SA you will not regret it.

Here is a killer 2016 SG550 for sale, scrape up an extra $7k

2016 Supra SG 550 for sale
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Great photo of the wave in that Ad too.
    2019' Moomba Max

Quote Originally Posted by abayard View Post
    Hey there everyone,

I hope all is well. I appreciate all of the help to come. My brother and I are in the market for our first surf boat. We are looking to spend $80k or less (hopefully), and are curious on the best surf boat we can find that makes the best wave. I've done a ton of research, but curious on what everyone else thinks.

I've looked at the Mojo, Makai, the Supreme's, Axis, etc. and we definitely want something 23' or more. After doing a lot of research, it seems Axis lacks in interior compared to Moomba, but I can't find much comparing the waves unless it is completely biased one way or the other.

I've recently found Supreme boats and have seen great reviews (some even saying some of the best surf waves out there) but was curious on everyone else's thoughts. We are in North Carolina, so having dealers nearby is very important for us for service, but we also don't want to sacrifice on the surf wave.

I think that is everything, let me know if you all have any questions / recommendations!

Thanks,
    Andrew
    When I was looking last year, I demoed a LOT of boats, new and used. My original budget was also about $80k. I was coming from a Moomba Mondo, but brand wasn't particularly important in my search. I tested new Axis A22, Centurion Fi22, Makai, 2016 MC X30, 2019 MC X24 (that one was never in the price range, but I'm not gonna turn down a demo session on one), 2015 G25, and several others I'm forgetting at the moment. I was also considering a 2016 Supra SG.

The absolute best wave was on the X24, unsurprisingly. It was a monster.

We ended up bumping up the budget to $100k, because we demoed the Makai and fell in love. Then the wife went to the showroom to look at it again, where it was sitting next to a Supra SL450. And the budget became $120k.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2019 Supra SL450

Quote Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post
    When I was looking last year, I demoed a LOT of boats, new and used. My original budget was also about $80k. I was coming from a Moomba Mondo, but brand wasn't particularly important in my search. I tested new Axis A22, Centurion Fi22, Makai, 2016 MC X30, 2019 MC X24 (that one was never in the price range, but I'm not gonna turn down a demo session on one), 2015 G25, and several others I'm forgetting at the moment. I was also considering a 2016 Supra SG.

The absolute best wave was on the X24, unsurprisingly. It was a monster.

We ended up bumping up the budget to $100k, because we demoed the Makai and fell in love. Then the wife went to the showroom to look at it again, where it was sitting next to a Supra SL450. And the budget became $120k.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I would just say...well played sir

2017 Supra SA