Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Perfectpass wakeboard pro

I heard that this perfectpass showed the water temperature. Is this displayed on a new lsv? And how can i find it?

Press Menu and Up keys at the same time, then chose System Info from the menu. Water temp is on that page.

-Joe

Quote Originally Posted by JoeTechie
    Press Menu and Up keys at the same time, then chose System Info from the menu. Water temp is on that page.

-Joe
    So the only way to display the watertemperature is with the systemmenu? Is the a way to display it constantly maybe with the use of an other display?
    I want to see the watertemp all the time and do not want to search it in the systemmenu.

Any idea's

Lots of Ideas - All of them sent to Perfect Pass. I think they have one of the worst user interfaces ever. I worked in programming for 10 years and I was big into ergonomics for UI... these guys are engineers, NOT users. Simply adding a "select" or "enter" button would improve the entire interface 30 fold.
    So the setup would be: Menu, up or down, then enter, then up or down in the new menu, then enter, etc. Pressing menu and up is downright silly. using up or down as enter is not even funny how bad it is.

Perfect pass is what it is... the only thing available. (though that is changing shortly) So why put money towards reprogramming ?

This is a sore spot for me, so pardon my sarcasm.

The short answer is: "No, that's it"

-Joe

Just curious, why do you want to display the temp all the time? My lake got as high as 67 last season. Kinda discouraging..

Quote Originally Posted by JoeTechie
    Perfect pass is what it is... the only thing available. (though that is changing shortly) So why put money towards reprogramming ?

This is a sore spot for me, so pardon my sarcasm.
    The short answer is: "No, that's it"
    -Joe
    Some random thoughts on the new Zero Off System (www.zerogps.com)
    • Competition is always good.
      Not USAWS certified (end of summer?)
      5" and 3.5" gauges only.
      Samples off a minimum of 4 SATS. (good luck with this one)
      Not enough information available for a consumer to make a knowledgeable decision.

I agree - I had heard they were developing this, but did not look into it further. Glad someone did it... hope they did it right - or at least close for a 1.0 product. Much more slalom based to start - so was PP, and they have improved. I'm sure 0-off will as well. Promising. Hell, they pretty much imitated the exact user interface I recomended to PP - so much more intuitive!!!

I'm confused about your 4 sat comment. Too many / too few / ??? all current gps chips use 8 or 12 for tracking, then read data from best 3 to triangulate and use a 4th as error correction. Not much more can be gathered from a 5th from my understanding. the other tracked sats are kept in a queue of "next in line" as they move in orbit.

-Joe

Their site doesn't talk about river current offset. I imagine you will have to determine river current and direction probably by floating the river and the speed and direction from the GPS is then inputted into the system with a push of a button. You would have to do that for each area you go to as the current changes if you want to be exact. The rivers here flow 3-4 mph so if your idling upstream at 3-4 mph the GPS will read zero and sure enough the guy on the shore is watching you go nowhere. Lakes would be fine. I can't imagine not getting 4 satillites.

if your idling upstream at 3-4 mph the GPS will read zero
    I think you are thinking of a paddlewheel system. GPS is not realtive to earth, it is absolute position in space, so it is EXACTLY what you want in a river. If you are not moving or are moving backwards it will know and display it. if you are not making forward progress, then gps will show you at zero, no matter what the river and paddlewheel are doing.

Now what the SKIER feels is different. If he is tied to an upstream rock he already feels 4mph of rushing water, but since this has nothig to do with distance between two bouys - it does not matter either.

-J

I couldn't find anything tangible on the internet for GPS calculations on the water except for a blog on Wakeworld but the GPS measures ground speed so if you’re using anything besides the ground as the medium for movement (air for airplanes or water for boats) then ground speed is the summation of the relative speed of the plane or boat on the medium (air or water) and also the speed of the medium relative to the Earth.

For example: Suppose you wake surf at 9 mph and hypothetically you’re on a river that flows at 9 mph (let’s hope not). At rest while you are floating along, the GPS will show the ground speed which is 9 mph. If the ZeroGPS doesn’t recognize the river flow, it will indicate to you that you’re at your cruising speed of 9 mph even though you’re sitting still on the water. I imagine that the manufacturers built into their system a method where you sit on the water for a minute after the GPS gets the satellite capture and the device will log the information into the system and do the compensation using that setting. Then the ZeroGPS is very accurate for that time and place. ZeroGPS website doesn’t explain that. It’s amazing how a company can take about $250 worth of parts (GPS device, microprocessor, display and throttle servo unit) and charge $1,300 and higher. It’s probably like when Moomba came into the boating business..”It’s time for some competition.”

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/m...tml?1174616380

By Toneus (toneus) on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 10:30 am:

They've got a small issue. Speed of the water. This is the age old issue that pilots face. Ground speed vs. airspeed.

Those who board in any body of water that is tidal or a river will agree that you can have quite a flow rate.

Example:
    Flow rate = 2 mph (very conservative)
    GPS speed setting = 23 mph
    Desired speed = 23mph

GPS based boat ground speed into the flow (up stream) 23 mph, net water speed 25 mph.

Result: 2 mph too fast

In the other direction. Again, the GPS based boat ground speed 23mph. But in this direction, the water is helping by pushing the boat and extra 2 mph, net water speed 21 mph.

Result: 2 mph too slow

For accurate water speed, you must measure the true boat speed vs. the water.

-Toneus

By billy e (projectely4) on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 1:49 pm:

Also the speed adjustments work in increments of 1/10th of a mph so you can pretty much get the exact speed you want.

By Toneus (toneus) on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 2:08 pm:

Billy,

It doesn't matter how fine the adjustments are if the actual ground speed is not accurate.

As kids we all tried running up an escalator coming down. It didn't matter how fast you ran up, the speed of the escalator coming at you slowed your forward progress. Same thing as driving upstream. The water coming at you will slow your forward travel, which is what the GPS is measuring. Thus it will use more speed to overcome the water flow. Result, you're boarding at 28 mph!

What is the method that the GPS speed control uses to make sure that the speed of the boat relative to the water is correct? Without knowing the speed of the water, it will "never" be accurate. And definitely not within a 1/10.

-Toneus