Default Phishing and Ad postings, irritating

Hi guys. Most mornings before work I'll sit down and catch upwith tho latests post on the forum over a cup of coffee. I click on "new posts" so I catch up with the lastest. Its entertining and sometimes educational. Occasionally I'll see a post that looks like an online ad and it is. I just ignore it and move one. This morning there were 8 new threads. I hope his is not going to become a trend. I do not know if this is the business model or if its outside sources posting their ads in our forum.
    I'd like to say, if this is monetizing source, I get it, its a business, I support the need to generate income and I recognize it takes a lot of work to keep these sites uptodated and all, but I would rather see banners on the side or top, which I can ignore if im not interested, rather than click on a post and find its some irritating advert. Again, I'm ok with monetization, we all need to make a living, but if this is the case, then please use traditional ads.

If this is just outside actors posting automated adverts, then this is too bad, not sure how we can stop this, but if it continues its going to ruin our forum experience.
    Last edited by Isaguel; 05-08-2020 at 08:25 AM.
    2020 Supra SL 400
    2015 Moomba Mojo(Sold)
    2018 Yamaha Waverunner(Just to fool around)
    2018 F150 Lariat
    sport edition, 3.5lt ecoboost

Being a mod on another forum, it’s really a manual process of cleaning the spam posts. 8 per day is typical on a forum with traffic.

I am sure the forum admins could add some spam filtering, but being that SC is likely administering this forum, I doubt it is a priority.

I certainly appreciate our current moderators efforts as I know it’s truly a thankless job and typically unpaid.

But the best way to combat it is a daily scrub. Today for example, in Tapatalk you could click ban on all 8 threads and be clean. Not that hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

If you see a spam post, report it. Best way to keep our defenses up.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

I report them and it gets cleaned up usually within the same day.
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

Filter first posters to go to the moderators first for review.

Also, it would help out if people put their location in their header.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by zabooda View Post
    Filter first posters to go to the moderators first for review.

Also, it would help out if people put their location in their header.
    We tried this on the forum I moderate, yes it filters the spam so that only mods see it but it was more total hassle for the mods.

In a paid gig, sure. Unpaid gig, no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't trying to pan the mods or anything. I appreciate everything you guys do purely for the love of our boats. I personally am OK with ads in a site if it helps support the site. Its just today it seemed excessive. I usually just click on "new post" to pull up just new stuff from day before and save time. I usually will see 1 or maybe 2 spam threads at most, this morning it was 8/9. I just worry the problem may grow and forum will be drowned by spam and ruined. Again, I appreciate all the moderators do. I'll remember to report them(spammers) next time.
    Last edited by Isaguel; 05-08-2020 at 07:01 PM.
    2020 Supra SL 400
    2015 Moomba Mojo(Sold)
    2018 Yamaha Waverunner(Just to fool around)
    2018 F150 Lariat
    sport edition, 3.5lt ecoboost

Spam has been on this site for well over a decade and at one time every category was filled daily with spam. It degrades the site to some extent but you can read past them and the moderators are clearing them out. It seems to go in cycles.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD