Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Surf Boat

Quote Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post
    Then the wife went to the showroom to look at it again, where it was sitting next to a Supra SL450. And the budget became $120k.
    Ok sir, the wife upped the budget! You have a keeper
    2020 Supra SL 400
    2015 Moomba Mojo(Sold)
    2018 Yamaha Waverunner(Just to fool around)
    2018 F150 Lariat
    sport edition, 3.5lt ecoboost

Any of these boats will surf. I will try to give you the most unbiased position as possible.

The moomba's will have far better fit and finish. I looked at Axis and i was disappointed. I looked at many at a bunch of different dealers and all the same. Attention to detail on Axis is just NOT there. Not mention a higher price point.

that being said, the axis will surf right out of the gate (surf gate). You will of course have to add ballast but you will need to order more ballast with any moomba. Stock they just don't have enough.

Surf gate will produce a surf wave but its static, meaning little changes.. what it is is what it is, forever. With moomba or MC or others, the wave can be adjustable but again you will need a bunch of ballast and probably have to learn how to make the wake. With surf gate its deploy and go basically.

I too like Supreme but be careful as the draft on supreme and Centurion is quite a bit more than other boats. Upwards of 32" so if you are going thru any shallow areas keep this in mind. Especially if your weighted or have a bunch of people on board it will most likely be down over 3'.

I would make sure first and foremost you are happy with the dealer over the brand.
    2019 Mondo

Default Best Surf Boat

Great heads up on the Centurion draft depth.

Fi’s are 32”, Vi’s 36” and Ri’s 37”, that is a deep boat for many inland lake launches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by jason1973 View Post
    Any of these boats will surf. I will try to give you the most unbiased position as possible.

The moomba's will have far better fit and finish. I looked at Axis and i was disappointed. I looked at many at a bunch of different dealers and all the same. Attention to detail on Axis is just NOT there. Not mention a higher price point.

that being said, the axis will surf right out of the gate (surf gate). You will of course have to add ballast but you will need to order more ballast with any moomba. Stock they just don't have enough.

Surf gate will produce a surf wave but its static, meaning little changes.. what it is is what it is, forever. With moomba or MC or others, the wave can be adjustable but again you will need a bunch of ballast and probably have to learn how to make the wake. With surf gate its deploy and go basically.

I too like Supreme but be careful as the draft on supreme and Centurion is quite a bit more than other boats. Upwards of 32" so if you are going thru any shallow areas keep this in mind. Especially if your weighted or have a bunch of people on board it will most likely be down over 3'.

I would make sure first and foremost you are happy with the dealer over the brand.
    Im confused by the Axis statement. You need to upgrade the Axis ballast or no? Just curious, Im not well informed with Axis. Also, Ive heard the surf gates can be a gas hog, because of the drag. Dont know if thats true tho.
    2019' Moomba Max

cousin went thru 2 'bu's that had sg on them. said they are an absolute biotch to turn back to pick up a rider if it's deployed and a little challenging to steer when runing as the boat wants to crab. fuel usage is higher than non-gated boats and wave was good but not the best he had been on. his boats were stock plus some lead iirc.

axis interior would be a no go for me no matter the feedback.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I try and stay unbiased in my thoughts on these boats, cars, bikes, whatever. Obviously I picked Moomba but there are many reasons why and all detailed in my Axis vs Moomba video thread https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....deo-comparison. I shopped all the brands in my area for 1.5 years, sometimes multiple demos or visits to the dealership of the same brand, before we finally decided on the Moomba being our best choice for us. YMMV but I feel we made the right decision. Axis and Bu put out a nice wave but it kind of ended there for us.

In short an Axis will:
    • Make a taller, bigger wave "stock" (this means has to be optioned with the plug n play ballast) than a stock Moomba but it's not adjustable unless you get Power Wedge (2019+ IIRC). Once you add ballast to the Moomba the waves are legit and can be shaped to your liking. There is no shaping the wedge of a floating wedge Axis boat.
    • Ride much rougher than a Moomba because they don't have a trim / center plate and the hull is garbage in terms of ride quality.
    • Be more likely to take a wave over the bow compared to a higher freeboard Max or similar Moomba or Supra.
    • Have tons of plastic in the interior compared to a Moomba. Chevy Astro levels of plastic and about the same quality as a 90's GM product
    • Will have an inferior tower to the Roswell used on Moomba's. The tower on an Axis is not counter weighted and just a really bad design where you can mess up the interior fabric if you're not careful when folding the side plates and it might take two people to put it down or up if you have multiple pairs of speakers on the tower.
    • Will be less fuel efficient than likely any surf tab boat when it comes time to surfing or using the wedge. Both the wedge and surf gate cause a lot of drag.
    • Sucks to turn when surf gate is deployed.
    • Personal preference but the window design is ugly and has a bad blind spot at the 2 o'clock position.
    • Torque just wasn't there for us compared to Raptor power plant. This could have been attributed to prop or v drive gear ratio but full ballast and wedge down on an Axis takes FOREVER to plane out. Raptor is a "hit it and hold the F on" kind of power!

Above all else if buying new, the dealership is nearly as important as the boat purchase. Having a nice boat is great and all but if your dealer sucks it's going to make it a nightmare when it comes time to service, warranty work, support you, etc. It doesn't matter if it's a Pavati or a Heyday. If the dealer sucks the experience will suck.
    Last edited by haknslash; 05-07-2020 at 05:43 PM.
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

Guys,

Thanks for all the feedback, this is super helpful. My brother and I are 28 and 24, we’ll be with friends and family all the time so the bigger boats are definitely a must. I have been leaning towards Moomba since we started, and this has validated my thoughts.

One boat I haven’t heard much about are the nautiques. Is it worth looking into them at all for a used 2016+? Or just stick with the centurion / Supra if our budget goes up?

Also, out of the Moomba line, which boat would you say surfs the best? Was looking at the Mojo and Makai mostly. What would I need to add to these 2019+’s to throw out this awesome surf wave I’m hearing about?

Thanks guys!