Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Default 2020 Moomba Makai surf set up question

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadyus View Post
    Why? It holds 6500 lbs what's a 1000lbs of lead gonna do? I don't even notice a diff with 1250lbs of lead or zero when ballasts are empty.
    Sounds like it works great for you! I strongly prefer towing and driving an empty, light boat if possible.

1200 lead is like having 7-8 invisible people sitting in there when you jump in. You can feel it, and you’re burning it. Then add 7-8 regular visible people for a cruise. Then pull a tube. I don’t think the logic is hard to understand.

But hey man, no bigs! If you don’t mind it, rock it. I could feel it and liked it better without.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of it will depend on your motor, your prop and lead placement as well.

All your lead in the back and you're going to really notice it, distributed evenly in the boat it will be a lot less noticeable (but still affect the fuel economy of course)
    2020 Supra SA

Quote Originally Posted by dakota4ce View Post
    Sounds like it works great for you! I strongly prefer towing and driving an empty, light boat if possible.

1200 lead is like having 7-8 invisible people sitting in there when you jump in. You can feel it, and you’re burning it. Then add 7-8 regular visible people for a cruise. Then pull a tube. I don’t think the logic is hard to understand.

But hey man, no bigs! If you don’t mind it, rock it. I could feel it and liked it better without.

The only logic I think that's hard to understand is why you would pull a tube😊 But really 19% of capacity isn't going to make much of a difference. I also always tow with it, and I don't even feel the boat back there most of the time with my 3500. I once even forgot to drain the ballast and towed 30 miles home. Still barely noticed it. I also have it all even under every bag so it's nice to not lose storage. But the fact remains without the 1000+ lbs of lead the wave is just underwhelming...
    2019 - Makai took delivery
    2018 Yamaha AR195 SOLD

The only logic I think that's hard to understand is why you would pull a tube But really 19% of capacity isn't going to make much of a difference. I also always tow with it, and I don't even feel the boat back there most of the time with my 3500. I once even forgot to drain the ballast and towed 30 miles home. Still barely noticed it. I also have it all even under every bag so it's nice to not lose storage. But the fact remains without the 1000+ lbs of lead the wave is just underwhelming...
    Like I said—all good if you’re good with how your boat is set up. I personally like the feel of an empty boat if it isn’t wakeboarding or surfing. I once was like you too—I didn’t mind it. But I have come back to appreciating light handling of an empty boat in this way.

It’s not drastic. But I like the feel. And I tow with an Expedition Max so weight matters a bit.

And yes, the wave leaves some to be desired without the weight.

Like I said—all good if you’re good with how your boat is set up. I personally like the feel of an empty boat if it isn’t wakeboarding or surfing. I once was like you too—I didn’t mind it. But I have come back to appreciating light handling of an empty boat in this way.

It’s not drastic. But I like the feel. And I tow with an Expedition Max so weight matters a bit.

And yes, the wave leaves some to be desired without the weight.

However, towing with full ballast is something that should not be attempted! You dodged a bullet with your trailer on that one.

Saw a boatmate last week that was BENT to oblivion from a G25 that bounced on a road dip. Very alarming sight. Made me realize what transom straps are for.

However, towing with full ballast is something that should not be attempted! You dodged a bullet with your trailer on that one.

Saw a boatmate last week that was BENT to oblivion from a G25 that bounced on a road dip. Very alarming sight. Made me realize what transom straps are for.

Yeah I will never make that mistake again. I did upgrade my trailer to make it stronger but still a really stupid mistake.
    2018 Yamaha AR195 SOLD

Yeah I will never make that mistake again. I did upgrade my trailer to make it stronger but still a really stupid mistake.
    Upgraded the trailer?

Upgraded the trailer?

You can do a torsional upgrade.
    2018 Yamaha AR195 SOLD

You can do a torsional upgrade.
    Got it. I would be afraid of the frame as much as the axles. The G25 incident was a straight up bent frame. Horrifying.

Got it. I would be afraid of the frame as much as the axles. The G25 incident was a straight up bent frame. Horrifying.

I wanted a Tri axle but they would not let me upgrade it with a moomba.
    2018 Yamaha AR195 SOLD