Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Must See US Lakes and Rivers

Im planning on taking some trips with the boat this season. What would be your top places/events to visit? I prefer to be able to rent a place with a dock on the water, but Im open to anything. Lets Discuss...........

Disclaimer: I realize my trips are contingent on what happens with the virus.

Utah is high on my list (Powell and Flaming Gorge)

Red Bull Cliff Diving at Hells Gate - expecting it to get canceled
    ra_180602_rbcdtex_kola_8472.jpg
    2019' Moomba Max

lake powell is a must. Get yourself a houseboat and spend a few days exploring the lake, it's amazing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

powell is all that is on my boating bucket list. all the other lakes are just that... other lakes...

that said if you want accommodations in the middle of the desert with cabins, restaurant/bar, fuel and docks you can use try temple bar on mead. it's "rustic" and in the middle of nowhere but decent place to stay/eat and boat is right there. mead is big enough you won't see others if you don't want to and vegas is only 40 minutes by car.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

So, we are planning a 4 day trip to Lake Powell in August/september. We are looking at staying at a houseboat for 4 days and renting an Axis for a couple of days. Spend 2 days surfing, 1 days just exploring the lake and thinking bout renting a couple SidexSIdes to do some back country exploring on the 4th day.
    To those who have been there, any tips, places I must go see. Things not to do or stay away from.
    We are planning on renting a Houseboat from Wahweap marina, its the Deluxe, Nomad 50 footer. Its a few miles north of Page, Az.

Would love to hear from those with experience there. Any good water side restaurants we can pull up to, fun activities? Its a family trip, Me, wifey and 2 kids. Anything to do in the town of Page?
    2020 Supra SL 400
    2015 Moomba Mojo(Sold)
    2018 Yamaha Waverunner(Just to fool around)
    2018 F150 Lariat
    sport edition, 3.5lt ecoboost

Flaming Gorge is out of hand....its our stomping ground. Get a slip at Cedar Springs Marina.....tons of things to explore and water is about as clear as it gets. Super deep water with great cliff diving.
    2022 MAX
    Steamboat,CO

Quote Originally Posted by Isaguel View Post
    So, we are planning a 4 day trip to Lake Powell in August/september. We are looking at staying at a houseboat for 4 days and renting an Axis for a couple of days. Spend 2 days surfing, 1 days just exploring the lake and thinking bout renting a couple SidexSIdes to do some back country exploring on the 4th day.
    To those who have been there, any tips, places I must go see. Things not to do or stay away from.
    We are planning on renting a Houseboat from Wahweap marina, its the Deluxe, Nomad 50 footer. Its a few miles north of Page, Az.

Would love to hear from those with experience there. Any good water side restaurants we can pull up to, fun activities? Its a family trip, Me, wifey and 2 kids. Anything to do in the town of Page?

Depending on how experienced you are with a houseboat, will determine where you'll want to park it. Well for your first trip, if it was me, I'd take the Castle Rock Cut into Warm Creek Bay and park it in one of the small coves at the Northeast end. From there you can explore all over. Warm Creek also has a floating restroom which is handy. Staying close by Warm Creek Bay, I'd head over to Labyrinth Canyon. The last horseshoe bend before turning south and crossing into AZ has a really cool rock that ramps up to the top. You can see it in Google Maps satellite. You can pick how high you want to cliff jump, from 1 ft to around 35 feet, depending on water level. It's a fun, tight canyon that you have to go wakeless through. If you're feeling really adventurous head up lake to Rainbow bridge. It's about 50 miles. You dock and then walk in about 1/4 mile. It's a nice arch and worth doing.....once. If the water is rough, forget about it. Antelope Marina has a nice restaurant right on the water. You can dock and walk right in.
    Stay in the middle of the waterways as much as possible to avoid rocks. Go straight from buoy to buoy. Getting too close to shore will all but guarantee prop damage. I keep people in the bow who are always watching for rocks just under the water. It can go from 400' to 10' deep in just a couple feet. Keep an eye on the weather. The wind almost always picks up in the afternoons. If it gets to rough for you duck into a small cove and wait it out. Wake up early in the mornings and enjoy the glass.

If ever visiting Alabama I’d recommend either Lake Martin or Lewis Smith Lake.

Lake Martin is a large reservoir lake with plenty of places to rent along the water. All depends on how much you want to spend as there are small shack cottages to mansions. Water is clean, relatively deep with some rocky or shallow hazards. The lake is well marked to avoid hazardous areas. It’s a very active lake and can be real busy on the weekends with heavy chop in the popular areas and channel intersections. There are plenty of cuts and sloughs to find good water to surf in. Lots of amenities and marinas on the lake to get gas, eat at restaurants and around the area since it is near a college town (Auburn). Here’s some cruising at the lake https://youtu.be/4yybiyvjYb8

Lewis Smith lake is a very long winding lake. It isn’t as wide as Lake Martin and there aren’t many sloughs off the main channel so finding good clean water to surf can be challenging on the weekends in the busier areas of the lake. But it is a long lake so eventually you’ll find some water to play in. Rentals are more rustic and harder to find than say Lake Martin. Amenities are not as vast as Martin either. Water is very deep and some of the clearest in the country. Since the lake is so long the scenery along the shoreline changes from steep rocky cliffs to thick forests as it butts along the Bankhead National Forest. Here’s one cruising of the lake https://youtu.be/7xLLWb3wn6s

Of the two I prefer Lake Martin for its amenities, rental options and large clean waters and that is why we store our boat there. Both are must see lakes if traveling through the state and wanting to see what they offer. They are different looking lakes but equally beautiful.
    Last edited by haknslash; 03-15-2021 at 02:22 PM.
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

Quote Originally Posted by UNSTUCK View Post
    Depending on how experienced you are with a houseboat, will determine where you'll want to park it. Well for your first trip, if it was me, I'd take the Castle Rock Cut into Warm Creek Bay and park it in one of the small coves at the Northeast end. From there you can explore all over. Warm Creek also has a floating restroom which is handy. Staying close by Warm Creek Bay, I'd head over to Labyrinth Canyon. The last horseshoe bend before turning south and crossing into AZ has a really cool rock that ramps up to the top. You can see it in Google Maps satellite. You can pick how high you want to cliff jump, from 1 ft to around 35 feet, depending on water level. It's a fun, tight canyon that you have to go wakeless through. If you're feeling really adventurous head up lake to Rainbow bridge. It's about 50 miles. You dock and then walk in about 1/4 mile. It's a nice arch and worth doing.....once. If the water is rough, forget about it. Antelope Marina has a nice restaurant right on the water. You can dock and walk right in.
    Stay in the middle of the waterways as much as possible to avoid rocks. Go straight from buoy to buoy. Getting too close to shore will all but guarantee prop damage. I keep people in the bow who are always watching for rocks just under the water. It can go from 400' to 10' deep in just a couple feet. Keep an eye on the weather. The wind almost always picks up in the afternoons. If it gets to rough for you duck into a small cove and wait it out. Wake up early in the mornings and enjoy the glass.
    The Castle Rock Cut is not likely to open this year, which will add about 12 miles to your trips out of Wahweap. If you rent out of Antelope Point, you would be able to reduce the trip up lake. As you explore, it is very important to have an understanding of what the water is like ahead, since there are many submerged rocks and ridges that will make live very interesting for anyone who hits it and are not likely to be well marked. Use the Navionics Boating app to download maps that are adjustable to the current water level. Also, wind tends to pick up in the afternoons for an hour or two, which can result in scary boating conditions, so make sure you know what to expect and it is wise to wait things out in a a good canyon where things will be calmer for a bit.

I spend most of my time in Lake Powell on the north end of the lake, but my brother in law loves the south end and enjoys Rainbow Bridge, Reflection Canyon, Gunsite, Padre Bay, and others. If you are really adventurous, the Escalante arm is amazing as well with Cathedral of the Desert and Davis Gulch noteworthy sites, but you will need to make sure you have sufficient fuel by getting some gas at Dangling Rope Marina on the way up and back.

Norris, rent a houseboat.

I like havasu as well but haven't been there in 20+ years so no clue what it's like now.

I live in Florida now so unfortunately I don't get out west anymore for anything other then snowboarding. Nothing special here.

Maybe start in Havasu, then go up the CO River... Mohave, Mead, Powell. Would be a great run for sure!