Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY Surf Deck

Default DIY Surf Deck

Ive been wanting to do this for a while and since work has shut down i decided to get started a few weeks ago. I basically followed aerolland's design from this thread.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....f-Platform-DIY

I'm not done yet but this is where i am at so far:

First picture is the shape and size compared to the oem swim deck.

2nd picture is after the first coat of epoxy mixed with a black die. I thought this would be better than using clear epoxy and painting it later.

3rd picture is after sanding down the first coat starting with 80grit down to 220grit. There was a lot of dripping that happened over the edges (you can see it in the picture) so a fair amount of sanding was needed. I kind of like the dull "matte" finish look.

4th picture is after the 2nd coat of epoxy. I did a much better job on the 2nd coat but will still sand down to probably something like a 2000grit and then polish to get the high gloss look back so it matches the boat.

I'll update as i get more done.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

Looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz

Looks great. What products did you use for your epoxy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

Quote Originally Posted by 996scott View Post
    I’ve worked with similar stuff, but only clear. What did you use to add the black in?

Just a little trick I also learned if you use a heat gun or really lightly use a torch it sucks the bubbles out quicker. (Yours looks awesome, just curious if you heated it?)

this is the dye i used. only need a few drops mixed in and it worked awesome.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yea i did use both a torch and a heat gun to get the bubbles out. I watched a lot of videos on how to do it otherwise i ever would have guessed to use heat. Thanks, it turned out pretty good, not perfect but pretty good.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

How much epoxy did you end up using?
    -Scott

2000 Moomba Mobius V

i ended up buying two of the quart size. After doing the first layer i realized i was going to need another quart for the 2nd layer. I have about 1/3 of the 2nd quart left over but may end up using it to make some "lifts" to raise it up some. Haven't started to mount it to the brackets yet so i don't know how high or low it will sit compared to the oem one.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

Looks great! I love the black tint in the epoxy, I will do that to the next one I build, if there is a next one. My current one is holding up strong so far! Glad to have been able to contribute to someone else's DIY abilities!!!

For your risers (and maybe a future DIY fresh air) check out this link:

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....160#post330160
    2008 OBV
    325 EFI with closed cooling
    Gravity III with 750's in the rear, 400 stock floor, 750 IBS
    Servo valve ballast upgrade
    Wetsounds Rev10
    JL Amps, WS420BT

2000 Outback LS <-- Sold!!!
    310 Carb Direct Drive
    800# Rear Locker
    750# IBS (should have kept this for the OBV)
    Dual Batteries with 2 Bank Charger System
    Kenwood Head with Remotes
    Too many hours restoring exterior from prior negligence to count!

Quote Originally Posted by 996scott View Post
    this is the dye i used. only need a few drops mixed in and it worked awesome.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yea i did use both a torch and a heat gun to get the bubbles out. I watched a lot of videos on how to do it otherwise i ever would have guessed to use heat. Thanks, it turned out pretty good, not perfect but pretty good.
    I did my bathroom counter with a clear epoxy with metallic flake. It turned out awesome (I did clear over the old formica that was painted black).

The torching was fun!!!!

I like how yours turned out. looks awesome. Makes me want to epoxy something on my boat!!! Especially since I have a ton of silver flake left over! LOL.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com