Default Best beginner/boat board

I’m new here everyone, just ordered my first wake boat - 2020 Max and am stoked to get the family out and do more than just tube. Very experienced boater and we are keeping our Sea Ray cruiser. We have 4 kids and am planning on the Phase 5 scamp for them but am at a total loss for a first board for me which will turn into a boat board when I decide to upgrade. Dealer sells O’Brien and is pointing me towards the Royale for a first board but I cannot find any forums with anyone even mentioning that as a board let alone if it’s good or bad.

Any thoughts? I’m 5’9 and right at 200lbs. I grew up skiing and have some wakeboard experience but only surfed 2 or 3 times. No idea what board I was on but was able to go ropeless at least for a little while. I ride goofy side.

I optioned the max with 4,000 lbs ballast and have zero off gps as well. I’m not looking at tricks, just want to chill and surf.

Any help is appreciated.

hyperlite broadcast was my first board and it was a decent board to learn on but gave it away.
    I teach almost everyone now on a phase5 danielo pro. they have a few models that are very similar. I'd go that route vs the broadcast again.

there's a few recent threads out there on this same topic that will have some good recommendations.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Max20 View Post
    I’m new here everyone, just ordered my first wake boat - 2020 Max and am stoked to get the family out and do more than just tube. Very experienced boater and we are keeping our Sea Ray cruiser. We have 4 kids and am planning on the Phase 5 scamp for them but am at a total loss for a first board for me which will turn into a boat board when I decide to upgrade. Dealer sells O’Brien and is pointing me towards the Royale for a first board but I cannot find any forums with anyone even mentioning that as a board let alone if it’s good or bad.

Any thoughts? I’m 5’9 and right at 200lbs. I grew up skiing and have some wakeboard experience but only surfed 2 or 3 times. No idea what board I was on but was able to go ropeless at least for a little while. I ride goofy side.

I optioned the max with 4,000 lbs ballast and have zero off gps as well. I’m not looking at tricks, just want to chill and surf.

Any help is appreciated.
    My first board was a Hyperlite Landlock. It's very inexpensive, easy to ride, and easy to get up on. It's what I use to teach everyone trying for their first time. I still occasionally ride it just because it's so smooth and simple and relaxing. Kind feels like your surfing a canoe. I also use it with kids who are too small to ride on their own. I hold them between my legs and surf 2-up with them.
    '19 Moomba Craz

'17 Heyday WT-1SC - Traded

Awesome guys, thanks for the quick replies. Now fingers crossed the boat building process doesn’t experience a delay. But if it does, we will wait patiently because many people are experiencing real problems these days.

I’m sure I will be on here with many how to questions. Thanks again

I'm in the same "boat" as you... what's your theoretical spray date?

I would check out Evo.com, they are having some pretty good sales on new boards that they just put on clearance. I picked up a Ronix Modello Stubfish and a Connelly Voodoo for $250 each. Both are certainly "value" boards, but figured you can't go wrong at that price. Nobody will stress if you get a dent or scrape while learning the ins / outs before upgrading to one of the fancy boards.

Spray date is set for April 30. Hey congrats to you too - I will check out Evo, was on there today actually. I’ll probably order something tomorrow as long as shipping isn’t affected. We are hoping the Easter Bunny may bring the kiddos a wakeboard and surf board this year.

My dealer is completely shutdown - seems the governor of Ohio doesn’t think they’re an essential business (kidding of course). I haven’t heard if the factory in Tennessee is operating right now or not. I’m hopeful they will shuffle the schedule for customer boats over stock boats if they are shut down right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Max20 View Post
    Awesome guys, thanks for the quick replies. Now fingers crossed the boat building process doesn’t experience a delay. But if it does, we will wait patiently because many people are experiencing real problems these days.

I’m sure I will be on here with many how to questions. Thanks again
    I called SC this morning and manufacturing is to start back up mid month but I’m guessing it will be at the end of the month the way things are going imo.
    Search craigslist and offer up for some used beginner boards. A lot of people out grow them quickly and put them up for sale. Most are around $100 or less. I have the LF rocket and it’s good but in less than a month I outgrew it. I keep it around for other beginners we take out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah...the update I got late last week from our dealer here in Oregon was that SC chose to shut down the factory for two weeks bevause several of their vendors are in states that have mandatory shut downs so it is becoming harder to ensure they won't run out of what they need to maintain production. The 2 week shut down is to allow the vendors to get back on their feet.

Our original build date was April 1 but is now penciled in for April 17. I'm hopeful but not optimistic that new date will hold.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    JB

- 2020 Makai

With the automotive plants shut down, all the tier 1 and 2 suppliers to automotive are also shutdown. I wonder what the supply chain looks like to even get a Raptor motor. Maybe enough inventory in the pipeline but we may be at the mercy of them starting back up. OR SC may decide to pull all customer sold boats to the front of the line in front of dealer stock. Who knows right now, my guess is no real answers for 2-4 weeks on new spray dates