Default Potential new owner

Hello all,

New member here and potential first time Moomba owner...and actual first time boat owner. I apologize if this is posted in the wrong place. We've been looking for a boat since moving to a lake about a year ago. A guy I know offered to sell me his 2005 Moomba Outback for $8k. The boat has been sitting in a lift for two years without running. What kind of issues can we expect to encounter or are there too many to name? When we started looking for a boat our budget was $15k so would have some money to put into it. Question is would it be worth it?

Thanks!

Welcome.

Have a mechanic perform a compression check and/or leak down test for the comparison between cylinders.
    If the boat was not maintained or winterized properly, you could be looking at some costly repairs.

Interior seats and cushions, not sure where you live or the conditions. Fixing a few cushions is one thing, an entire interior can be 3-5k.

Maintenance records? If it runs, the first item would be to replace all the tune-up parts, fluid changes, and batteries.

Electric items - damp conditions will cause corrosion. Those can be harder issues to trouble-shoot.

For 8k, I would not be expecting much. Assume it does not have a trailer?

I would advise looking at one in good conditions so you DO NOT have to worry about repairs all the time.
    That model and year is probably around 20K in good condition.
    2018 Supra SL400

mj is right. if it's for sale for 8k it's either a totally stripped boat- no trailer, tower, etc or there's something wrong that you will end up coughing up cash down the road.

cosmetic is pretty easy to assess. behind the scenes check the floor for rotted stringers. they were wood back then iirc and i'd run far away if the floor is "spongey" and then check the engine for compression. those 2 pan out and a water test feels good then go for it.

it can be an exciting time to be buying a new toy so DON'T get wrapped up in the emotion of the deal until you have a warm fuzzy that the boat is solid or you have accepted the cash outlay for major repairs you confirm it needs. then get excited...
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Thanks for the responses. The vinyl is in good shape. I have been on it and didn't feel any soft spots but will definitely do a more thorough check. It has a trailer and tower. Honestly, the guy is a friend of mine and just doesn't use it anymore. He doesn't want to "mess" with cleaning it up and trying to sell it. He figures donating it to charity will get him the $8k so I could have it for that. I'm hoping to meet up with him this weekend to see if I can get it to a mechanic for compression tests and quote on any repairs. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by BooShaker View Post
    Thanks for the responses. The vinyl is in good shape. I have been on it and didn't feel any soft spots but will definitely do a more thorough check. It has a trailer and tower. Honestly, the guy is a friend of mine and just doesn't use it anymore. He doesn't want to "mess" with cleaning it up and trying to sell it. He figures donating it to charity will get him the $8k so I could have it for that. I'm hoping to meet up with him this weekend to see if I can get it to a mechanic for compression tests and quote on any repairs. Thanks again!
    Good luck and hope it turns out well for you.

When I first moved to Knoxville, I purchased a 26' Regal and Polaris 750 from a family friend just wanting to get rid of them b/c of a company move out of town. 25k for both. Used them for 2-3 years, sold the boat for 28k and wave runner for 3k.

Good deals are hard to pass up.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400

All checked out good for the most part. Getting the steering cable replaced and standard yearly maintenance...oil change, fuel filter, etc. The batteries were dead but the guy is going to have them replaced. I gotta get a new cover for it (any recommendations appreciated) and give it a good cleaning, then hopefully we will be ready to hit the water.

good to hear things are looking good. Most people find a local company that can make a custom fit cover for you. You can usually find a generic (non custom) one from somewhere like Overtons.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

yep, what 996scott said. Custom is the way to go, if so, looks for something that is made from Sunbrella or other high-grade material.

You have top of line from Evolution:
    https://evolutioncovers.com/

Or other covers you can order off the internet - Google and you will find quite a few.
    https://www.boatcoversdirect.com/

http://www.skiboatcovers.com/
    2018 Supra SL400

I would struggle to pay evolution covers price for a boat that I only paid 8k for. they will likely be over a grand. good stuffs but pricey.
    check out the other 2 options and add great lakes boat covers to it and buy the cheapest that feels like a decent cover.
    you should be able to score something in the 500 range at the top end. I'd be surprised if a local shop would be less than that.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten