Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2009 moomba outback v running hot

My boat is runs hotter the faster you go! If you break down to an idle it will cool back off but putting it under strain run the temp up! It has a brand new impeller but it didn’t fix the prob! Thinking it has a clog somewhere but not sure where to look?? Any help would be appreciated

The impeller operates at low speeds and idle. When you are up on plane, cooling is essentially hydrostatic flow so I would suspect a restriction somewhere. Probably at the intake or filter if you have one.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Could be the actual engine water pump is bad, no, not the impeller, the water pump on the block. Also check any strainers for blockage with weeds etc. and also check inside the heat exchanger (for the engine oil) that is on raw water the feed hose from the raw water pump to the thermostat. That can clog with weeds and shit and well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz

Quote Originally Posted by zabooda View Post
    The impeller operates at low speeds and idle. When you are up on plane, cooling is essentially hydrostatic flow so I would suspect a restriction somewhere. Probably at the intake or filter if you have one.
    This is incorrect. Raw water pumps works all the time. Hence why it’s directly connected to the crank. If it fails the engine will overheat, and also the exhaust manifolds will overheat first. As a lot of the raw water is expelled out of the exhaust to cool the jackets in the exhaust manifold.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz

Check the transmission fluid cooler just after the raw water pump for weeds or debris. Could also be the thermostat not opening all the way.
    2005 Mobius LSV
    325 EFI

Quote Originally Posted by VA LSV View Post
    Check the transmission fluid cooler just after the raw water pump for weeds or debris. Could also be the thermostat not opening all the way.
    Yep. Same thing I said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz

Most Likely the thermostats, Trans Cooler, Heater, even exhaust manifolds are all subsystems.

Thermostat is the primary restriction point on the engine, also water being re-directed to the exhaust manifolds will not cause the engine to run hot. The engine running hot will cause the manifolds to run hot.

Don’t quote me as I have to look but from what I recall the Exhaust is cooled by a separate hoses from the water pump so technically it’s completely separated from the engine cooling.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Over time the thermostat can accumulate oxidation build up and when open will no allow enough water to escape the engine. Check if your manifolds and exhaust rubber pipes are hot. How hot is your temp gauge reading? How long have you had the boat?
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

I’ve had the boat for 2 years! I’m not sure how hot it will run but the longer you run the hotter it gets! I haven’t got it over 200 without backing off! When you drop back to an idle the temp drops pretty quickly

Sounds like the thermostat might be stuck closed.

Have you check the oil cooler right after the impeller pump to see if it’s clogged?

What have you checked/done?!?!!?!!!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz