Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Looking to upgrade ballast on 2019 Max - the wakemakers kit ($999) looks like it will

get the job done but are the upgraded rears and midship needed or just the one of the two? I have 550lbs of lead I will move to the bow if I do the full kit but could use elsewhere if I do the rear only or the midship only?

Based off all the threads and posts I've read regarding the Max is she likes some junk in her trunk and midship and not so much as adding ballast to the bow. If you don't want to buy the rear bags you could add your lead under the stock rear bags and then plumb in midship ballast. The wakemakers kit adds about 400+ lbs to the rear of the boat and the rest is the midship. Seems the sweets pot recipe for the Max is to keep the weight mid to rear. Do you have AutoWake to monitor pitch and roll?
    Last edited by haknslash; 03-13-2020 at 07:03 PM.
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

I do not have auto wake. Went with G6 ballast and skipped the AW.

Gotcha. You can use your phone to check roll and pitch on inclinometer apps. I would play around with similar settings other have and experiment from there.
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

Maxman I think I read one of Matt’s post saying that the max potential of the Max surf wave is when you hit 5500lbs of ballast. That can be lead, water, people, or gear. I have the 2020 Max with 4,000 lbs of water ballast and I have 1200lbs of lead so that even on the light days I will hit that max potential. I took mine out on the water last week and with just the 4,000lbs of ballast and 2 people in the boat my potential was only 1/4 of 100%. I hope this info helps. Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, I'm new to the forum this month and had a few questions for the group. We are looking at a 2018 Moomba Max that's pretty loaded up. It has Autowake, g6, bunch of other goodies, and the standard 3000 lbs of ballast.

We are long time boat owners but are looking to upgrade to the inboard world as the family wants to learn to surf. The majority of the time it will just be the 4 of us (me, wife, a 10 & a 7 year old) out on the water. With that being said, will the standard ballast in the Max be enough for us newbs (wife is the only one with surf experience) to learn and have a good time?

Thanks.

You'll likely want more ballast. 3k makes a decent wave but unless you're a lightweight person then you're going to need a bigger wave to surf and that comes from more displacement. That's why the 2020 Max come standard with a few hundred lbs extra ballast and can be optioned with 4K lbs. The big girl needs to sink a bit to make a nice wave so if you have a lighter crew then you'll likely want more ballast. This receipt applies to nearly every boat out there as well. Of course the heavier the boat is the less it likely needs to make a big wave. Max is 4500 lbs dry so not a really heavy boat but not quite a lightweight either.
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

Thanks for the info!

I have a feeling the wife is going to murder me when I let her know we may have to spend an extra $2k on ballast bags.

Quote Originally Posted by Swervy View Post
    Thanks for the info!

I have a feeling the wife is going to murder me when I let her know we may have to spend an extra $2k on ballast bags.
    The WM upgrade is $1G for the Max unless you were also planning on getting a bunch of lead too.

You could always go the Tsuanmi pump route and get some bags to individually fill for much cheaper but that would get old quick when the rest of the system is as simple as flipping a switch. I did that last year manually filling a single 750 lb bag and it wasn't horrible but I wouldn't want to do that every time or with additional bags so we took advantage of the discounts during Black Friday last year. I have yet to try it out.
    Last edited by haknslash; 03-24-2020 at 07:28 PM.
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

I thought they were $1K per side...that's not as bad as I thought. I do not want to mess with external pumps or bags all over the cabin, the boss lady would also hate that.

Do the mid ship lockers become unusable after bags are installed in that area?

Thanks.