Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Storm damage. Who's responsible?

Tornados hit middle tn over a week ago. My boat was at the dealer getting another output shaft seal replaced. The dealership had lots of damage to their building and boats for sale. Fortunately the customer boats were on the side of the lot that had no damage. My boat apparently had the cover blown off from the back. The transom straps were riped from the cover. They said nothing else happened to the boat and they had gone over it thoroughly. They have been great in getting the cover fixed. I have not yet seen the boat yet tho. My question is what if I do find damage that wasnt previously there who's responsibility is it financially? Do their insurance cover everything and everyone's boats? I singned no papers when I dropped the boat off (waivers) I'm not anticipating any issues whatsoever with them but I am curious as to how this thing works just incase.
    '18 mojo

My opinion is your insurance should cover it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

I would assume since the boat was in their possession it would be their responsibility. It also sounds like if they are make a claim for other damages it would make sense to lump them all together so it hits under their one deductible.

Id get down there sooner than later to make sure you get eyes on how she sits.

Quote Originally Posted by Branden967 View Post
    I would assume since the boat was in their possession it would be their responsibility. It also sounds like if they are make a claim for other damages it would make sense to lump them all together so it hits under their one deductible.

Id get down there sooner than later to make sure you get eyes on how she sits.
    One would think this, but it is not correct. The dealer would only be liable due to negligence, anything else like storm damage, theft and vandalism falls to the boat owner and their insurance. I live in Tennessee and have been through it with both a boat and a vehicle. Hopefully all is ok, call your insurance to give them a heads up.
    2018 Supra SA400 aka The Ron Burgandy
    2011 Sea-Doo Wake 155
    2015 Mojo Surf, sold...2013 Axis A22 Recon Edition, sold...2010 Axis A22, sold...2007 Maxum 1800sr3, sold

I agree with KnoxMojo.

Have the weigh the option on total damage dollars vs making the claim.

Raising rates and if you have another claim in the future, someone on the Fbook site was just asking insurance questions b/c they were dropped.

Dang insurance companies and banks, they make the money no matter the situation nor if the markets are up/down.

Good luck.
    2018 Supra SL400

Surgical, did you get your boat from ASM? I'm curious since they are my closest dealer but I didn't buy from them. Everyone on here always talks up the argument of dealer will not treat you right, move you to the back of the line, etc. I'm just curious on your opinions. I do my light Mx (winterization, oil changes, etc) myself but one day I know I'll need some real work done unfortunately and try to balance on where to go. With my past deck boat I had great luck with Rambo just across the state line from Fayetteville. That would be my 2nd call probably if ASM wasn't a good option.
    2016 Mojo Surf
    Raptor 400
    1100 rear bags / 500 IBS / 600 LeadWake
    Exile amps/tower - Kicker in-boat
    FAE

Default Storm damage. Who's responsible?

If it’s just cover damage, I personally wouldn’t claim something that small.

Edit: nevermind, reread and saw dealer fixed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by larry_arizona; 03-12-2020 at 02:29 PM.
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by BigOrange View Post
    Surgical, did you get your boat from ASM? I'm curious since they are my closest dealer but I didn't buy from them. Everyone on here always talks up the argument of dealer will not treat you right, move you to the back of the line, etc. I'm just curious on your opinions. I do my light Mx (winterization, oil changes, etc) myself but one day I know I'll need some real work done unfortunately and try to balance on where to go. With my past deck boat I had great luck with Rambo just across the state line from Fayetteville. That would be my 2nd call probably if ASM wasn't a good option.
    I did not buy from them. I found the boat in Connecticut and went and picked it up. I too was worried about service since I didnt buy from them. I have had 2 warranty claims (output shaft seal leaking oil) they have treated me great. I would buy from them and will continue to have my boat worked on by them in the future. I do all minor maintenance and winterization myself.
    '18 mojo

If there is damage to your boat their insurance may cover it if they have garage keepers liability insurance.
    2006 Supra Launch 21V

Just consult your insurance company and they make the determination based on insurance laws.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD